PDA

View Full Version : VFR swingarm on a Blade

Slingblade
19-07-2006, 10:46 AM
Hi

I need some confirmation on a single sided swing arm conversion on a blade. I have heard early to mid 90's vfr750 arms will bolt straight on, all you need it a 20mm spacer.

I thought maybe ben from extreme might be able to help with info as he did the aus streetfighter single sider. Is that a VFR or a Triumph arm. Probably aftermarket due to the huge rim.

Any help would be great. I just wanted to check the wheel offset is right etc. And i think the wheel off the early arm is a 5' and the later 800 is a 5.5 but the arm wont fit easily. I need a 5.5' or i wont bother. 6' or 6.5' would be even better! I doubt it without surgery though.

thanks again

fimpBIKES
19-07-2006, 12:33 PM
i think stu's has a car rim doesnt it?

Gix11
19-07-2006, 01:26 PM
Have a look for yourself mate: http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1273
As far as I remember it was a VFR 800 swinger, but my memory is shot. Hang on, just kept reading that topic. Yea - it's a VFR800 swingarm.

Slingblade
19-07-2006, 01:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

i think stu's has a car rim doesnt it?

Hahahaha. Thats not very nice.

Slingblade
19-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Besides i would kill for that rear . awesome

Gix11
19-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Nath - it IS a car rim mate.

Slingblade
19-07-2006, 01:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by nathanleetaylor

Besides i would kill for that rear . awesome

Shit you were serious!! i just looked on the link gix kindly put up. Me thinks i got to speak to ben at extreme.

Slingblade
19-07-2006, 02:33 PM
Spoke to Ben (twice, sorry mate). Gave me everything i needed to know. Just need the swingarm, caliper and hub. $900 from metropolitan. Bit rich for my budget but hopefully one will turn up on ebay a bit cheaper. Source a car wheel (i never in a million years would have thought of a car wheel). Get ben to do some machining and general trickery and bobs me fathers brother. Be a cheap mod considering the major change to the look of the bike. This will be a must do.

Thanks again Ben. You were friendly and helpful even though you dont know me from a bar of soap.

Anyone have a spare vfr800 swing arm lying around.............

TurboKat
19-07-2006, 04:49 PM

Anyone have a spare vfr800 swing arm lying around.............

Yep, '98 VFR8 swinger, hub, disc & caliper $450 the lot.
The arm looks to me to have a slight twist in it hence the low price. It would probly cost around $150 - $200 to have it straightened, no impact damage.
Also have the 5.5 wheel with a minor ding in the rim $200 as is or $280 re rolled.

Slingblade
19-07-2006, 05:33 PM
Sounds good mate but i am wary of a twisted swing arm. How bent is it?? It may never go back right and i have a nice looking boat anchor. If it was not such a structural piece it would be fine. Will you sell the hub,caliper and disc??

TurboKat
19-07-2006, 06:23 PM
It is a very minor twist when sighted up with a sleeve through the centre hole in the hub & using the pivot shaft as a datum line, it could be repaired to absolutely perfectly straight by Bob Martin Engineering here in Melb. without it's structural integrity being compromised.
I'd probly be better off having it straightened myself before selling it, less drama that way.
No, will not seperate hub, etc.

pt
19-07-2006, 06:39 PM
ok this is off topic but what does re-rolling mean turbokat? my rim has a slight ding in it (the tyre still seals so not too bad) plus a few other little bends where someone has been over-enthusiastic with tyre levers. will re-rolling sort that out and what does it involve?

Slingblade
19-07-2006, 06:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by turbokat

It is a very minor twist when sighted up with a sleeve through the centre hole in the hub & using the pivot shaft as a datum line, it could be repaired to absolutely perfectly straight by Bob Martin Engineering here in Melb. without it's structural integrity being compromised.
I'd probly be better off having it straightened myself before selling it, less drama that way.
No, will not seperate hub, etc.

Email coming to you mate.

TurboKat
19-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Hey Pete, re rolling is just that - restoring the original shape/profile of the rim. Bob Martin's use a combination of a static wheel jig & a hydraulic ram with different "shoes" to suit different wheel diameters & rim profiles & simply push the dings back to shape, another mob I've used in the past that do car wheels use a rolling jig & a series of little solid wheels on the end of a hydraulic ram.
Despite different methods, the practice is the same - bend the bent bit back to its original shape. BTW both types of repair are done cold (very important with aluminium)
A few years back I had an RGV wheel on the front of my XR 600 'Motard racebike & tried to double 2 jumps & the front wheel landed on the crest of the second jump right on the unsupported area between the spokes, it bent the rim in over 50 mm from round. I took it to the car wheel guy thinking it would be a throw away but that I may as well ask the question, I was surprised when he laughed at my concern & said "piece of cake" I quizzed him at length about what was & wasn't repairable & he told me that the cast alloy that M/C wheels are made from is really soft & therefore is quite pliable & easy to work back into shape as long as it's not cracked. He showed me a before & after pic of a 3 spoke Yammy wheel that he'd straightened & the before shot looked like this > D I was amazed.
If you're careful Pete, you could probly panel beat it back to true yourself, I'm no 'Beater but I've sucessfully straightened a few minor rim dings in the past so it couldn't be too hard. ;)

fimpBIKES
19-07-2006, 10:55 PM
fuck this forum is AWESOME!!!

FIGHTERMC
20-07-2006, 05:46 AM
Ben what was the the car wheel off{looks like one on my old civic}
and what size bike tyre did it take.
mc.

qickdraw
20-07-2006, 12:03 PM
It's a 17 x 7.5 and it's got a 210 on it..

Slingblade
20-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Hey Turbokat. I sent a couple of emails to you. Just wanted to check they went through as i am pretty illiterate when it comes to these forum functions.

cheers mate. Let me know about the swingarm, i am always open to renegotiation!!

pt
20-07-2006, 10:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

fuck this forum is AWESOME!!!

i agree wholeheartedly. thanks heaps for the excellent explanation turbokat!:D

FIGHTERMC
21-07-2006, 01:12 AM
Thanks Qickdraw just realized its your bike mate.
nice bit of kit there.was it a big job fitting
the wheel to the swingarm.
Mc

TurboKat
21-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Hey NLT, I just dragged the 'arm out & checked it over, I forgot to mention it's done less than 1000km so the disc (5.85mm - min. th. 5) pads, chain slapper & even the sprocket are as new.
Can't cover postage, it weighs about 20 kg so it'll probly be around $30 - $40, I'll box it up & get a firm quote, what's your postcode?

Slingblade
21-07-2006, 12:58 PM
I will have to pass mate. By the time i get it straightened and posted its getting way above my budget. If you get it straightened, i am sure you will find a good home for it on ebay. Thanks for being sraight up about the bend though mate. Many are not so honest.

Peka
21-07-2006, 01:48 PM
quote:...And i think the wheel off the early arm is a 5' and the later 800 is a 5.5 but the arm wont fit easily. I need a 5.5' or i wont bother
90-93 models have 5.5in rear rim. 94-97 have the 5in, not sure about the 800's.

TurboKat
21-07-2006, 02:43 PM
How much did you expect it to cost for postage? $5???
First you tell me via PM you'll take it if I cover the postage, then you tell me you're open to re-negotiation, I tell you how much it'll cost then you pull out! over $30!!!!
You're not doing yourself any favours by fucking people around when you've just joined the forum mate, next time, don't get your ambitions mixed up with your abilities.
Anybody else want it who WONT fuck me around?

Slingblade
21-07-2006, 03:45 PM
Hahahaha. Your wound way too tight mate. I am not paying $450 bucks for a bent swingarm. I expected the postage to be $50. So if you cover postage you are selling the arm for $400. I said i was open to renegotiation as you didnt reply to my emails and i assumed you hadnt gotten them. It is now obvious you simply ignored them. Your idea of renegotiation seems to be you telling me what you wanted for it in the first place and ASSUMING i would still buy it. Not to mention the fact i sent the emails as i dont believe things like price etc should be aired publicly. Your response is to ridicule me publicly, and say i fucked you around, when the first reply i had from you since i sent you the PM's, was for you to tell me you wont cover postage and for me to give you my address!. I could rant and rave back at you, but i wont, as you are obviously juvenile enough for both of us.

My apologies to all the other forum users. I know this isnt a place to air dirty laundry.

Slingblade
21-07-2006, 04:10 PM
If it is any consolation to you TK, i am sorry about the mix up. I was not prepared to simply let it go once you had a go at me. I am prepared to let bygones be bygones. Who knows we may meet one day and i will buy you a beer and we can have a laugh about it. Ball is in your court mate.

21-07-2006, 05:23 PM
[:0]

TurboKat
21-07-2006, 09:12 PM
I am not paying $450 bucks for a bent swingarm.
Mate, you offered to pay me $450 bucks for a bent swingarm if I sent it to you for free, get your story straight.

I said i was open to renegotiation as you didnt reply to my emails and i assumed you hadnt gotten them.
What?? If you assumed I hadn't gotten your emails, then what were we supposed to be re-negotiating? That doesn't make any sense.

it's now obvious you simply ignored them.
How is that obvious? I received them this morning & acted on them straight away, why would I want to ignore them?

Your idea of renegotiation seems to be you telling me what you wanted for it in the first place and ASSUMING i would still buy it.
There was never any re-negotiation on my part, I told you I wasn't going to cover postage & gave you an estimate - it's that simple. I ASSUMED you would still want it because normal people wouldn't quibble over $30 when they are saving $hundreds.

Not to mention the fact i sent the emails as i dont believe things like price etc should be aired publicly.
Why not? I have nothing to hide - DO YOU?

the first reply i had from you since i sent you the PM's, was for you to tell me you wont cover postage and for me to give you my address!.
Hang on, YOU were the one who wanted to negotiate, how could I negotiate with you when I didn't have your [u]postcode</u> & therefore a firm price for postage? You've dug yourself a big hole there.

I could rant and rave back at you, but i wont, as you are obviously juvenile enough for both of us.
None of what I posted would be considered "ranting & raving" except maybe by someone with a guilty concience & I'd LOVE you to explain which bit was juvenile - I like a laugh.

Anyway, I accept your apology & I'll be happy to drink all the beer you want to shout. ;)

Slingblade
21-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Ok i think i see where the problem has come from TK . You recieved the emails today? I sent them over 2 days ago. I think it may be a case of modern technology giving us the dick.

Slingblade
21-07-2006, 09:43 PM
I did agree to $450 if you cover the postage. offer still stands.

Slingblade
21-07-2006, 09:47 PM
postcode is 2290.

21-07-2006, 10:00 PM

I think it may be a case of modern technology giving us the dick.

sounds like a vibrator i recently bought Mrs Davo.:D

where is the love? ASF used to be such a fun loving place to sell/swap/give away parts.Lets try and keep it that way.

p.s. NLT,i can vouch for T-Kat as a top bloke and an honest member,so you can rest assured that any dealings with him are genuine and truthful.Just be patient mate,coz not everyone reads there emails every day.
cheers

Iceman
22-07-2006, 10:05 AM
I'm with Davo on that one.

Turbokat has gone out of his way to help me in the past. He's the kind of bloke you should be greatful to know. I am.

fimpBIKES
22-07-2006, 11:03 AM
shit NLT we must pretty much be neighbours with that post code

Slingblade
22-07-2006, 11:29 AM
I am in Charlestown. Where are you fimp?

22-07-2006, 02:57 PM
Islington

gibbo
22-07-2006, 04:35 PM
BULLSHIT, Turbokat is an arsehole,everbody knows that;):D

Iceman
22-07-2006, 04:38 PM
SSSSHHHHHHHHH!;)

Slingblade
22-07-2006, 05:18 PM
I used to live in Iso. Just behind the TAFE in Bentley st.

Gix11
24-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Turbo? Yea, he's not bad at all. Goes to bed early but, and makes landlords at pubs forget their jokes half way through, but apart from that, not bad at all. Hey Daz. Did you still want those ASF cards mate?

Nath - TK will be doing you a deal mate for sure and he would never rip anyone off here. If the arm was no good he wouldn't sell it. He knows his shit. And he always helps bike builders out when ever he can. He's also very handsome according to Large.

Slingblade
24-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Its all sweet. Call it a lovers tiff. I am trying to twist his arm over his twisted arm........I am still keen to buy it. I want a single sider and car rim. Found the rim i want last night. Then i need to find an Aprilia front rim to match it. Gulp, god knows what that would cost. So it will be a bit by bit exercise. Gotta start with an arm first though.

If you get a quote for postage TK let me know. It may be cheaper than i expected, and we can work something out.

Gix11
24-07-2006, 04:19 PM
I'm half tempted as well!

TurboKat
25-07-2006, 12:44 AM
Yeah, all good Lads, no harm done, & thanx for pumping up my tyres ;) (& Gibbo for telling it like it is :D)
Swinger & wheel are now sold, keep an eye out for a new single sided SRAD 'fighter in a few months.
Gix, Yeah, I still want those spotter cards (you know, the ones you were s'posed to send with my T shirts you absent minded Git) I come across more 'Fighters every week & I'm getting R.S.I. writing the URL out for people. [V]

Oh yeah.... & Large is right [:I]

Large
25-07-2006, 09:37 AM
I'm always right...

can't remember saying that stuff but...

pt
25-07-2006, 11:15 AM
quote:Originally posted by turbokat

Yeah, all good Lads, no harm done, & thanx for pumping up my tyres ;) (& Gibbo for telling it like it is :D)
Swinger & wheel are now sold, keep an eye out for a new single sided SRAD 'fighter in a few months.
Gix, Yeah, I still want those spotter cards (you know, the ones you were s'posed to send with my T shirts you absent minded Git) I come across more 'Fighters every week & I'm getting R.S.I. writing the URL out for people. [V]

Oh yeah.... & Large is right [:I]

hate to butt in on an important topic, but who's fightering an SRAD? cause i'm trying to at the moment and the only one i can remember seeing is that canadian bloke, joe.d? need ideas

Gix11
25-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Ah bollox. That was right wasn't it. Put them in with your shirts. It's all coming back to me now. ..........and so is that photo with the baby in the frame. wooooooowwwwwhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.......

fimpBIKES
25-07-2006, 05:27 PM
does the tiller count as SRAD?
it had the big fugly sticker [B)]

Booster
25-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Guy Fightering the srad didn't happen to be ebaying the fairings last week from Melb did he?? there was heaps i wanted but was traveling at the time of the auction finish :(

pt
25-07-2006, 07:33 PM
theres been a couple of 750s parted out on ebay recently. and the tiller sorts does and doesn't... only 2 cylinders different. are you gonna use the pillion pegs fimp? i'm looking for a right side hanger and peg cause i need to be able to take someone on zee back. i think the distance is about 60mm between the holes...:)

fimpBIKES
25-07-2006, 08:39 PM
i dont think i have em, probably mashed in the crash
i'll check

pt
25-07-2006, 08:48 PM
cool thanks heaps for checking. rare as hens teeth apparently[V]

Booster
25-07-2006, 09:33 PM
Pt i have gsxr rears , if there what your after there yours for postage

pt
25-07-2006, 09:39 PM
booster you've got mail mate:)

TurboKat
25-07-2006, 09:43 PM
The guy 'fightering the SRAD is Warren (Wazza) a mate of a mate, don't know what he's planning to do to it apart from the SS rearend except that he is keeping the clipons [xx(]
He's visited the site & reckons he'll join up - how about it Wazza?
Dunno if it was him who Ebayed the fairings, I doubt it though, the whole bike is custom painted.

Booster
25-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Wasn't him then ! this was std in fair condition.
I'm always looking for lightly damaged 750 srad breakables for my trackbike, figure sooner or later i'll need them :D

Return mail PT ;)