PDA

View Full Version : fibreglass cloth/tape for headers

Pil
18-07-2006, 10:50 AM
hey guys first post but I been stealing ya ideas about bikes for a while. My first of many questions for the enlightened ones is I wanna wrap fiberglass cloth/tape around the header but I dont want the white look. Ive seen it black but have only been able to get the white stuff so my question is how can I change the colour of the white stuff. Looking forward to riding with the syd crew sometime in the near future if ya havent black banned me by then. I ride a 2005 sv650 recently recoloured black from the banana yellow. Cheers Paul

18-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Dunno if a 650 cuts it mate[}:)], you're already down 2 cyls and a few hundred CC's. Any chance of you fitting a big bore kit, and then returning?
What about an upgrade to an IL4, you'll feel much better for it, trust me;), I'm a nice bloke, just ask Large, or any of the others around here (I know that Fimp agrees with me on this point) ;)

:D:D:D

Maybe you could put some black dye/paint into the liquid stuff that you soak the cloth/tape in? :)

Gix11
18-07-2006, 11:55 AM
Hey Pil. How's it goin' mate? Welcome aboard. Never used that shit so can't help you. I think Oz had some on his turbo, he might know.

Pil
18-07-2006, 03:17 PM
Its always the same with you guys its gotta be bigger to be better bet you all drive really big pickup trucks too. some shrinks think that has to do with feelings of inadequacies or something like that. Hows that flamed on my first post just what a good site should be like, Im right at home. Thanks

03gixxerpilot
18-07-2006, 03:24 PM
G'day pil welcome abord mate, just a bit of advice about the sv is that they have a real bad reputation for losing oil pressure when doing wheelies, and i dont mean the long out of sight type, a friend up here did it to his girlfrends bike, so if you intend doing wheelies then PLEASE get the oil pickup mod done.

Any way have fun and enjoy the madness.

Gix11
18-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Hey Pil - Chalky got to you first mate - that's all - don't take offence. He has a habit of doing this, don't you Chalk? Lay off the new guys mate, give 'em chance to know what you're like first! You're welcome here mate and there's a few guys with SV650s who will be able to help you with things. Fimp seems to be the man for SVs so I'm sure you'll have something to do with him before long. Again, welcome mate and don't think we are all the same - that's what makes this place interesting.

BOHEMION
18-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Hey Pil - Welcome aboard mate, Yeha a few ppl here ride the Sv's and Luv em. I ride a pretty much stocko Z750 mate donrt have to be bigger to be better. I havnt seen any black around mate possibly powder coated?????????????????????

ozkat
18-07-2006, 05:19 PM
Why do you want the insulation around the headers in the first place Pil? Oh and welcome.

Pil
18-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Never take any thing to seriously so as long as I can dish it back its all good. The tape idea came from me being lazy and not wanting to clean the header as this is my daily rider so anything I can do to get out of work in any form is the way forward. At work now so Im off. Cheers Paul

fimpBIKES
18-07-2006, 07:01 PM
hi pil,

u can now get clear header paint in a can
just clean it up once and paint it with clearcoat

Stocky
19-07-2006, 06:59 AM
If you want black tape, you wrap it with the white stuff then paint it black with that 1400 header paint.

Works well

Booster
19-07-2006, 07:51 AM
I think header tape would be harder to keep clean than the std pipe.
For a durable finish have a look at the HPC coatings available ( there not cheap though)http://www.hpcoatings.com.au/pages/motor.htm
I had my turbo exhaust done , keeps way cleaner, not as much muck bakes on.

Pil
19-07-2006, 08:34 AM
Thanks for all the info, the hpc website had some good stuff. Will have ta think about it now and see what the pea brain comes up with. will post a photo soon when i figure out how to.

EXBEN
19-07-2006, 09:05 AM
I've used the stuff once & it seems to work great. The stuff I used came with a can of silver Hi temp paint that you sprayed over the top. I don't see why you couldn't just use black Hi temp paint. Actually I just tossed those headers out the other day after 8 yrs & the wrap still looked in good nick ( rest of the pipe was rusted to shit though).
They don't reccomend using it on Stainless pipe though, cause it makes it prone to cracking methinks.

Booster
19-07-2006, 12:23 PM
Probably fine on bikes then , i have seen it on cars that would have higher ex temps and it starts to breakdown in time esp if damaged or pressure washed. There may be differing qualitys available too.