PDA

View Full Version : Tail for CBR900RR '96

gvma
20-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Hi guys, wondering what to do about the rear end of my cbr900rr? Want to keep the pillion seat, but can't decide if I will leave the rear end naked, or find some fibreglass moulding to put over it? What do you guys recommmend?

- Cheers

FIGHTERMC
21-12-2007, 05:35 AM
quote:Originally posted by gvma

Hi guys, wondering what to do about the rear end of my cbr900rr? Want to keep the pillion seat, but can't decide if I will leave the rear end naked, or find some fibreglass moulding to put over it? What do you guys recommmend?

- Cheers

i don't think much of them,they are too big
but thats only what i thnk.
you could get a new tail{ebay} including the subframe
and rear seat and mod it to fit the blade and
it would look a hell of alot better.
rgds
Frank.

zx12argh
21-12-2007, 07:34 AM
Its hard keeping the pillion and modding the seat... but as MC says you'd be better off buying a whole subframe with plastic and pillion seat.

Mate just tell your pillions to buy their own bikes or walk :D

maggot1300
21-12-2007, 09:47 AM
quote:Originally posted by zx12argh
[Mate just tell your pillions to buy their own bikes or walk :D

yeah just make sure if its your missus that she doesnt go and out do you on the bike... mine went a bought herself a 1098S while im stuck driving a 323 mazda (busa's getting the gearbox fixed:()

bitch wont let me ride it either.....[}:)]

Milly the monkey
21-12-2007, 10:11 AM
sounds like if youre changing the seat unit but wanting to keep th pillion seat then it'll be a subframe swap. what about just keeping the existing seat set up and spend the money on another modification for the bike?

lewis
21-12-2007, 10:39 AM
I agree, complete subframe, plastics and seat. Welder should be able to have it fit pretty easy?

gvma
22-12-2007, 11:56 AM
I am keeping my original seat and want to put on another tail. I see a few bikes that have "slid" another tail piece over their original subframe, and just modified/chopped up where they are going to put a pillion seat on, and yes, need a pillion for the missus, she reckons it's the only time she gets to sit on something big and throbbing....joking[:I]. Otherwise I was going to use the old tail, chop it up and re-mould it with the good old blanket and fibreglass.

HueyonaBlade
27-12-2007, 09:38 AM
quote:Originally posted by gvma

I am keeping my original seat and want to put on another tail. I see a few bikes that have "slid" another tail piece over their original subframe, and just modified/chopped up where they are going to put a pillion seat on, and yes, need a pillion for the missus, she reckons it's the only time she gets to sit on something big and throbbing....joking[:I]. Otherwise I was going to use the old tail, chop it up and re-mould it with the good old blanket and fibreglass.

For what you are hoping to still have as far as practicallity I think that you are in for a massive amount of fabricating if you try and retain the genuine sub frame ,I went with the whole subframe sets and plastic option its by far a more user friendly way to go I have full pillion use and its all as strong as the original subframe obviously depending on the make and style of tail-end you like just make adapting brackets to suit what ever you need and it will still all look factory:D

Darn
29-12-2007, 10:32 PM
hey mate. depending on your skill and access to welding gear, you could build your own subframe and put a more modern tail on there.
Mine is a 96 Blade with a 04 600rr tail piece, i built an adjustable subframe which can be raised or lowered for pillion duties.:)
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/750239517249401.jpg

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/750239517143529.JPG

fimpBIKES
31-12-2007, 02:57 PM
love your work darn!

Darn
02-01-2008, 06:10 AM
Thanks Fimp, I notice you live in NSW, is it Sydney. tried to look at yr myspace but couldn't get on there, if so where do you ride...

fimpBIKES
02-01-2008, 08:25 AM
im up in newy

not much riding going on at the moment til the new rad happens
but i normally do a putty run a month WHEN things are working and a fuckload of commuting

myspace isnt happening for me at the moment, its blocked from work and no net from home :(
have a facebook though and they havnt managed to block it YET :D

Billy Bob
16-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Darn, just seen your handy work, dude stay posted i might have to use your services, sorry for stealin thread.

Darn
18-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Damn it Bob, where were you a month ago. I just just finished a reno on my bathroom, could have used a waterproofer :D:D

Famous
13-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Hey Darn I was just wondering whats all involved in putting a cbr 600 tail on a 900rr?

Billy Bob
13-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Hey Darn did you receive my email?

Darn
14-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Sorry guys, no computer at home for a while,
Yes bob i got your mail and am more than happy to help you out, But...
I can't build you one. if mine fails and i fall on my arse then its my stupid fault, however if i build you one and it fails and your wife falls on her posterior, it will not be engineered and all kinds of trouble would follow.
happy to help out with design and good-bad points or advice.

For Famous. I built my own as you can see, didn't check to see if the 6ooRR subframe would modify easily to fit cause i couldn't find one.
Equally I could not see any way of modifying the 900 to take the smaller tail.
Go to the welcome to the madness section, intro yourself, put up some pics, get to know everyone and you will be surprised how many good suggestions you will get for your build.

Link to my build
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6464