PDA

View Full Version : The effects on ram air when fightering?

Tim
25-01-2013, 05:23 PM
I have an 05 R6, that I've been wanting to rip into for a little while but have held off due to not being sure what to do about the ram air tubes and the effects deleting them will have on the tune.
my general thoughts are that it will richen it up as speed increases due to not having as much air being forced into the airbox? im no crazy mother f***er, but when i take the bike out it generally gets a good stretching. how bad are the effects going to be? power commander v with autotune sort it out? (the us 09 r6s model can be made to work with the 05s)

Other thing is how many people start there fightering project with a perfectly good lateish model bike? weighing up selling it and getting something someone lightly damaged.

Deano
25-01-2013, 07:38 PM
I doubt the ram air tube thing will be and issue. Would only think the map sensor will be adjusting fuel when ram is happening. Is the sensor doesn't output the value then no extra fuel to compensate for ram air

Take running your bike on a dyno for example you have a fixed air speed created by the cooling fan and your bike will still read correct afr through all load and rpm sites

fimpBIKES
25-01-2013, 08:12 PM
nodifference that you will ever give two afford about when you are shedding the street and track with your completely one off fighter

kiwi kdx
28-01-2013, 09:16 AM
My 01 R6 ran lika a bag of shit without the tubes, but once I put them back on and cut them off at frame level it went ok.

As Deano said I'm sure an 05 will sort its self out, and anyway who cares get those gay plastics off!!!

RevHead
28-01-2013, 09:44 AM
same with my busa,i thought it would bother it but it didnt ,all that happened was the intake noise got louder!

StuNVA
30-01-2013, 05:32 PM
My mate has an 05 R1 fighter, he's cunt, it beats me off the line and over 200mtrs every fucking time, he put at PC111 on it as it has GTYR pipes too, it's fine. If it's like the suzuki job the ram air makes fuck all difference until about 200ks any way.

fimpBIKES
30-01-2013, 10:16 PM
i know the tl has a reference pres sensor then another in the airbox/intake
i tucked mine in next to the chassis and never worried
it just senses no difference and fuels accordingly

more modern bikes would be fancier. but its definitely not a case of kph*extra fuel

Azrael
31-01-2013, 03:42 PM
My mate has an 05 R1 fighter, he's cunt, it beats me off the line and over 200mtrs every fucking time, he put at PC111 on it as it has GTYR pipes too, it's fine. If it's like the suzuki job the ram air makes fuck all difference until about 200ks any way.

This ^^ Burnsie did a thesis on ram air and i think he said it was on the zx9 back in the day and through extensive studies (use your imagination) it only gained something like 8 hp at 250kph? I think those were the figures but i was drinking and forget stuff..
But yeah lose it, its doing fuckall for your performance..

Redmohawk
31-01-2013, 07:48 PM
At 100kph its about 2 inches of water for an average bike (0.34 psi) positive pressure at 200 it would be up to 4 inches of water (0.68 psi) . Positive pressure due to air velocity is squared so if your doing 300 it will be 16 inches (2.74 psi).

Pressure isnt the whole story with bikes and rammed air though , bike bike makers wouldnt bother for "Just" the boost factor. Its the slight postive pressure (instead of negitive) that can be induced at moderate highway speeds (110) makes for much better instant torque at lower rpm crusing. Making the ability to taller gear a bike for highway crusing still suitable.

Az I'd be real interested in some hard data on this very subject if you can get your hands on it ?

Azrael
01-02-2013, 08:48 AM
Az I'd be real interested in some hard data on this very subject if you can get your hands on it ?

Ill ask Steve next time i see him, he's very much a full bottle on this stuff.