PDA

View Full Version : Fairing Price

Slingblade
18-07-2006, 12:25 AM
Hey guys i need some advice.

I am selling the fairing from my 96 blade in order to finance my fighter conversion and i am struggling figuring out how much i should list it on ebay for. It is in great condition and includes the headlight, brackets, inners, basically everything. Should i list it as one? I have looked on ebay and they are all listed as individual parts. I suppose how often do you see a full fairing in great condition. What the hell should i list it at?? any ideas?? There is just a nose piece for 300 on there at the moment. Basically the money i get for it will be how much i can spend on the fighter bits.I will be selling the clocks seperate as well as the clip ons etc.

Any help appreciated

Slingblade
18-07-2006, 12:28 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/48373529094223.jpg

This is the fairing. It is as it appears on the bike but it has now been removed.

FIGHTERMC
18-07-2006, 04:34 AM
Are going to sell the lot or just the front fairings.
because if you sell the lot you will get more
and you can then buY a second hand tank and tail fairing
if you are painting them that is.

sharky
18-07-2006, 06:51 AM
From experience, I would say list all the parts seperately, with a note telling buyers to check your other items for the the other parts.

Slingblade
18-07-2006, 09:57 AM
quote:Originally posted by FIGHTERMC

Are going to sell the lot or just the front fairings.
because if you sell the lot you will get more
and you can then buY a second hand tank and tail fairing
if you are painting them that is.

I thought about selling the lot but i know my tank and tail are in good nick. I also dont want to have to stuff around looking for the new bits. I want the bike off the road for the least possible time.

I think i will list it as a complete lot and see who bites. That way even if i get offers for individual parts, i can break it up if necessary. Now for a starting price?????????

God
18-07-2006, 12:17 PM
As your bike looks to be in such great condition is there anyway that you can do things even if it takes abit longer so that you can keep all the original parts so that you then have the option of returning everything to stock when you want to sell?

When it came time to sell the Mighty Hornet, the $1800 of mods/accessories added $0 to the sell price. Easy, the Mighty Hornet was returned to stock and then the bits kept/sold off (except the bloody pipes...) for a better return.

Don't hit me everyone, but am I the only one to think it's abit of a pity to see mint examples of older sportbikes (gixers, blades, etc etc) being stripped to make fighters?

Gix11
18-07-2006, 12:25 PM
I'd love to agree with you Tim, but it's the whole "It's your bike, make it as YOU want it" routine. If you wanted a mint classic you'd have bought one, and if you're just keeping the bike tidy for the next bloke then you bought it for him, not yourself (bit like those tools with car bras). If you want a 'fighter then make a 'fighter - not a half arsed "that will do as I'm only going to convert it back to normal" effort. Not a dig at you mate, just my outlook on having a bike for the right reasons - you're own.

Slingblade
18-07-2006, 12:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by God

As your bike looks to be in such great condition is there anyway that you can do things even if it takes abit longer so that you can keep all the original parts so that you then have the option of returning everything to stock when you want to sell?

When it came time to sell the Mighty Hornet, the $1800 of mods/accessories added $0 to the sell price. Easy, the Mighty Hornet was returned to stock and then the bits kept/sold off (except the bloody pipes...) for a better return.

Don't hit me everyone, but am I the only one to think it's abit of a pity to see mint examples of older sportbikes (gixers, blades, etc etc) being stripped to make fighters?

Gee i would have to say you are probably the only one on this particular site!!;). I bought the bike for 4 grand. By the time i sell it in however many years time, it will be worth stuff all i imagine. I am fightering it so it is MY bike and not just another blade. I mean they sold thousands and thousands of these things. It is not like it ia a bimota or a manx norton. Dont worry there will be plenty left around for our grandkids!!!

Slingblade
18-07-2006, 12:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

I'd love to agree with you Tim, but it's the whole "It's your bike, make it as YOU want it" routine. If you wanted a mint classic you'd have bought one, and if you're just keeping the bike tidy for the next bloke then you bought it for him, not yourself (bit like those tools with car bras). If you want a 'fighter then make a 'fighter - not a half arsed "that will do as I'm only going to convert it back to normal" effort. Not a dig at you mate, just my outlook on having a bike for the right reasons - you're own.

Please tell me GOD doesnt use a car bra!! LOL

18-07-2006, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I tried keeping to the "return it to original" theory, but it's just too restrictive and problematic.

It's a bit like skydiving. "If at first you don't succeed, give up skydiving" ooops, ummmm, sorry, wrong one, here we go "You ain't skydiving till you jump out of a perfectly usable aircraft".

18-07-2006, 12:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by nathanleetaylor
It is not like it ia a bimota

Dunno about that mate, the paint job looks just as gay as a Bimota :D :D

$4000? sounds like a bargain mate, no way you'd get one that cheap down here. They're still asking up to 5000 for an 80's CBR down this way. And they make a top looking fighter.

God
18-07-2006, 12:59 PM
And wots wrong with car bras...?

Slingblade
18-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Yeah it was a bargain. It has high km's (115000) but the guy i bought it off, used it to comute between the central coast and sydney for 6 years. He must be a masochist. It has the original discs on it in great condition, which is always a telltale sign. I got a major service done as soon as i got it and it took three shims and the cam chain does not even look like needing to be done. Runs like a watch. Gearbox is a bit notchy but hey i can live with it.

Yes it is gay. My mates call it the wiggles bike. bastards.

fimpBIKES
18-07-2006, 07:11 PM
go seperate,
make sure u cover yourself for shipping though

bulky items like that will end up costing big bucks to ship OS

i sorta agree with God (first time for everything!!)
it might be worthwhile to keep the fairings in the long run

the bike is old enough now so that it shouldnt depreciate over 2years or so
how long do u plan on keeping it?

blade-rod is probably the only fighter i have ever heard of that might actually sell for a profit :(

Slingblade
18-07-2006, 10:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

go seperate,
make sure u cover yourself for shipping though

bulky items like that will end up costing big bucks to ship OS

i sorta agree with God (first time for everything!!)
it might be worthwhile to keep the fairings in the long run

the bike is old enough now so that it shouldnt depreciate over 2years or so
how long do u plan on keeping it?

blade-rod is probably the only fighter i have ever heard of that might actually sell for a profit :(

If i get it done properly, exactly how i want, i will keep it indefinately. I mean for a few grand, why sell it. It has plenty of power for this mere mortal and will be my fun hoon bike. I might buy something more comfy in a few years but i will need to keep my naked beast. Mind you if greenslips keep getting dearer we may all end up riding fightered vespa's!!

by the way, i caved on the blade rod chop but i have decided i will go a vfr single sider swingarm instead. Not straight away but i will keep my eye out.

18-07-2006, 11:40 PM
my bike cost $3500 7 year ago,i wouldnt sell it for less than $6000 now but i still have all of my fairings,and ive gone beyond the point of returning it to standard but im not unhappy even tho it was afine example of a classic machine.Hangin around here gave me inspiration to become "the man i am today" and i probly would never have attempted it without the support from the punters on this site.Stay focussed mate.

Slingblade
18-07-2006, 11:58 PM
Yeah thanks davo. The gixxer is looking good, by the way.

It would be good to keep the fairings but it is just not a financial possibilty. I have a nine month old boy and another due in december and with my wife not working now and one wage i just cannot put money into the bike at this stage. Its not a sob story, we all have problems and i imagine this is a familiar story to alot of people on here. I can put the cash from the fairings into fighter parts, then the family is happy and i am happy. Besides i know the bloody things would just sit in the shed and take up room. So in short i am pissing them off and gettin me some long fuckin bars and some little lights and i am gonna have a ball doing it!

This forum has been a big help to me already. Be good to eventually put some faces to names. I have felt really welcomed.