PDA

View Full Version : Electric rattle gun torque setting

stiffsimon
14-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Probably a stoopid question but here goes.

I'm thinking of getting one of those electric rattle guns for Hi torque bolts and things such as sprocket nuts, etc. More importantly though I want to tighten Hi torque bolts,etc and in particular the rotor/generator nut on the end of my GSX crank.
Problem is that I struggle to lock into position the things that I'm tightening up, in this instance I find it nearly impossible to lock my rotor so that it won't turn when tightening up the nut.
My thinking was as the rattle gun tightens with a hammer action so applies torque and then stops rapidly and in succession then I might not need to use as much pressure/effort into stopping the rotor turning when torque is applied to the nut.

If my thinking is correct on this matter then my question is do these rattle guns have torque settings on them (like a torque wrench) that can be pre set so as not to over tighten?

BANDITROD
14-01-2013, 11:55 AM
as far as i know they dont simon

Tony Nitrous
14-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Mine doesnt.

Hillsy
14-01-2013, 12:12 PM
My gun has some "settings" but they are not torque specific.

For something as big as a sprocket nut you can just rattle it up and it'll be OK, but depending on the thread size of the rotor bolt (10mm??) you might be in danger of hurting it with a rattle gun.

Bush mechanic fix for a spinning rotor is clean off the taper on the crank and inside the rotor then a dab of battery acid on each. Bolt it back up and she'll be right.

Redmohawk
14-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Dont use and electric rattler on anything to sensitive mate , no clutch = mess. Great to undo em just don't do em back up with it , no control. And no "feel" you wouldnt know if it was tight or so tight its eaten the threads and is about to let go. Even dodgie on wheel nuts, seen a few cars with fucked studs due to local wheel monkeys spining them on with 18 volt rattlers.

stiffsimon
14-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Thanks for that you lot. Yeah I don't want to tighten things up without knowing what torqued they're tightened to.Torque settings are there for a good reason as far as I'm concerned and ignore that at your peril.
I heard somewhere that there are things that I think are called torque sticks or some such thing. Some sort of attachment that you fit to a wrench/rattle gun or whatever. They're like some sort of stick and are colour coded and designed to snap at a pre determined torque.
Haven't heard of anything like that before but probably worth doing a bit of investigating about.

El_Hefty
14-01-2013, 09:34 PM
not snap but twist and absorb the torque over a certain level, lots of tyre fitters use them

they are different thickness of shaft basically like a socket extension... they have a fairly wide tollerance which widens with use/overuse. Fine for car wheel nuts as long as you check them at intervals afterwards with a torque wrench say daily in a busy shop.

Apart from wheel nuts i wouldnt touch them