PDA

View Full Version : Inductive pickup on coil over plugs?

DCRacing
12-01-2013, 06:50 PM
As the title says, I have a inductive pickup tacho and want to run it on my KTM 950 supermoto, but it has coil over plugs, can you run the pickup wire down and around the plug or the body of the plug?
Not going to be a permanent thing but just want it to work for a couple of days.
Cheers

Redmohawk
12-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Should work fine

RevHead
12-01-2013, 09:08 PM
before i did the acewell on my bus i asked an auto electrician,he said pick the power source into the coil on plug and join it to ,that!

only relaying what i was told.

BANDITROD
12-01-2013, 11:02 PM
i have always hooked them to the neg on the coil not the power pete or you will fuck the dash

Redmohawk
13-01-2013, 10:43 AM
Boys an "inductive pickup" is a coil of wire wrapped around the Spark plug lead or one of the coil low voltage leads. The current pulse in the "Hot" lead induces a voltage in the coil that the tacko uses to work out the RPMS without being directly conected to the igintion at all.

Most pickup are about 5 or 6 coils of wire similar size to bike wiring wrapped around the HV wire going to a sparkplug, if your realy stuck and cant get the coil around the plug you can wrap about 20 turns of a similar dia wire around the neg feed to the coil.

Most of these types of tacko wont work by conecting them to the coil , and will most prob do them damage without some form of signal conditioning first.

DCRacing
13-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Thanks Red, Better put than what i could have