PDA

View Full Version : do racing tyres age ??

ALBI
05-01-2013, 10:44 PM
well ive scored some new super motard maxxis racing slicks two new sets front and rear 120 17 front and 165 17 rears and i think the other set is bridgestone ??

the used ones i was going to fit to EL DUECE for some fun and blow the fucker up lol.
but the new ones ,might flog them off so i can add to bike .

but do they have a used by date???

ALBI
05-01-2013, 10:48 PM

Deano
06-01-2013, 09:05 AM
are they still wrapped in plastic ?
Yes they age but if brand new they shouldn't be to bad if say only 2 years old. But depends how they were stored as well. If put up in someone's roof or outside where they would go through a 60deg hear cycle every 40deg day then they could be past thee best.

If they are blue at all then they are Definately past there best

ALBI
06-01-2013, 11:58 AM
No not wrapped but when you say blue,do you meen a blue tinge to rubber??
I think one has but not sure about others. I got them for burn out tyres but if they are ok ill sell them on.

Hagarr
06-01-2013, 12:28 PM
I've used and still have a set on the Bandit for years.

Only thing I do is make sure they are hot before doing anything heroic.

All the ex race tyres I have used have had a blue tinge to them so I would expect if using back on the track they wouldn't be up to spec but with street (MY!) riding have had no issues.

You can generally buy them for $50.

Mr Ed
06-01-2013, 12:50 PM
The problem with ex race tyres is even if they look ok, only the previous user knows exactly the heat cycles that it's gone through and it's the heat cycles that kill a tyre. The blue tinge is an indication also how easily the rubber "balls up" when ridden moderately hard. The tyre won't be as sticky and may feel slightly plastic so less grip available. This is only my experience so personally I wouldn't touch 2nd hand race tyres.

TurboKat
06-01-2013, 02:15 PM
DON'T DO IT !!
Running ex race/trackday tyres that are past their use by date is a recipe for disaster, I found out the hard way that fresh tyres are the best insurance you can have - if in doubt, throw them out.

It's worth mentioning that the TurboKat Human Behaviour & Race Psychology handbook clearly states that when we have confidence in our tyres, we go around corners faster & believe me, that book is the WERD. ;)

ALBI
06-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Two sets are new but have a blue tinge ! And are un used but others have been .
Those were going to be burnout tyres only " the used ones"

Mr Ed
06-01-2013, 06:31 PM
Ok, so your "new" slicks have a slight blue shade to them, you MIGHT be ok with them and think "what's the problem". The problem with them if they're not ok is possible chunking and delamination, and if that happens quickly you could be kissing the blacktop. Ultimately it's your choice and a good price for tyres can be hard to pass up, they've got a fuckin crazy mark up from SOME distributors. Some will disagree, but I want history and a guarantee behind a purchase.

Deano
07-01-2013, 11:46 AM
From what I hear the tyre has a type of memory to it so if you go out on soft rubber on a 40deg day and heat the tyre up to 80deg then next time out to get the best from the tyre you need to get it above the 80deg mark. Anything less and you are down on grip.

The blue tinge is the oils etc coming out of the rubber

If you new tyres are blue already they sound like they have gone through heat cycles already and would be best suited for burnouts

Hagarr
07-01-2013, 06:35 PM
Hey Scotty (HYOFIGHTER) you rode the Bandido with ex racing tyres to Pemberton and back at WASF speeds!

Whaddya reckon, these boys are soft?

Deano
07-01-2013, 07:13 PM
All depends how you ride. The question was as I believe about brand new 'old' race tyres. The answer is that no one would use aged race tyres for racing. Some people ride on then for the road but you don't see anywhere near the tyre temps or speeds compared to the track.

Mr Ed
07-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Right, that's it Hagarr, you an me outside - now. Fuggin soft is it? Na, seriously. You pays your money and make your choice, if the man didn't give a fuck then he wouldn't ask the question. Personal choice, they may be good, they may be shite. I've had EBC pads that debonded from the backing plate and shot out of my front Z650 calipers, but I digest. If you use them, I honestly hope they go the distance.

Hagarr
07-01-2013, 10:19 PM
:p

Right, that's it Hagarr, you an me outside - now. Fuggin soft is it? Na, seriously. You pays your money and make your choice, if the man didn't give a fuck then he wouldn't ask the question. Personal choice, they may be good, they may be shite. I've had EBC pads that debonded from the backing plate and shot out of my front Z650 calipers, but I digest. If you use them, I honestly hope they go the distance.

Hagarr
07-01-2013, 10:21 PM
;)

All depends how you ride. The question was as I believe about brand new 'old' race tyres. The answer is that no one would use aged race tyres for racing. Some people ride on then for the road but you don't see anywhere near the tyre temps or speeds compared to the track.

Bevis
10-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Yeah i am agreed with you guys yes they age but if brand new they shouldn't be to bad if say only 2 years old. But depends how they were stored as well and this is suitable age for all riders.