PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

Seifer
14-12-2007, 06:17 PM
First of I will be getting the bike professionally tuned when I get back from Germany but for now I will try to make do with what I have got.
I went for a medium ride today to work but after about 10 minutes found the bike was cutting out alot followed by huge backfires, sometimes it would cut out for a second, other times for several seconds, it was as if all the cylinders had shut down then came back to life.
At first I though it was running lean but looking at the plugs i'd say too rich if anything.
Now my thinking is that something is cutting spark then when it rignites...boom but I could be wrong.
Its a Gixer 1216 with pods and 147 mains and needles to richest setting. Not Ideal of course. Everything else is stock.
Can you back fire running to rich?
I'm still at work so what I can check is fairly limited but any help would be appreciated.
Other things to note is I have a slight leak at the mid pipe connection...where can I get a tightener for this joint?

Seifer
14-12-2007, 07:24 PM
I'll check when I get home timing etc. I'm pretty sure they are fine tho. I want to lean out my needles but am hesitant because I'm afriad its backfiring of being to lean. May explain why I feel it overheats at times. Still can't explaing the sooty plugs tho.

Weaselman
14-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Air leak at the carb/engine manifold boots?

Seifer
14-12-2007, 09:15 PM
How do I check?

BANDITROD
15-12-2007, 08:45 AM
start the bike and squirt a little bit of fuel around them

Benz
15-12-2007, 01:18 PM
Do you still have the sidestand switch in the ignition circuit, sounds like a classic intermittant connection. If this is the case, it is backfiring because the cylinders are getting flooded, then lit up on the exhaust cycle, when the ignition comes back in..
Just a suggestion. may not be that at all....., but worth a look.

Seifer
15-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Hey Hey, problem solved. I changed the plugs for some newies and had a look at the side stand while I was at it. The switch etc was fine but turns out it was the connectors under the seat causing the grief. As soon as I touched the wire it snapped in half. After I stripped it down the wires underneath were a rotten green with corrosion. Safe to say she is running like an absolute champ now. Thanks for the help people.