PDA

View Full Version : Headlight/Dash setup

JackTar
14-12-2007, 03:22 PM
Hey guys, just recently bought a 666 headlight off of Si and was wondering what the opinions were on the Dash unit, now I don't mind the standard Z dash unit but I am now in a bit of a quandry as to where to put it. It can't stay where it was originally as it would look shit on top of the 666 headlight but I was thinking either straight on top of the top yoke or even welded/fibreglassed to the top of the tank as far forward as I can get it without it interfering with the bars, any ideas?
Also anyone in Sydney good with this kind of shit that could give me a hand? Plenty of beer in it for ya :D Or maybe I should just take it to an auto electrician once I work out where everything is going as I don't want all the wires and crap sticking out like dogs balls on a cat.

fimpBIKES
14-12-2007, 03:48 PM
its nice and easy to put a round gauge in a tank (tube welded up through from underneath)
which would make ben's acewell units the way to go ;)

i like the Koso ones that stu can get, very factory looking

JackTar
14-12-2007, 05:42 PM
There are a lot of bikes on this page with the original dash in the tank but I have no idea how they have done it because even if they have used a full tank cover these still look like they are countersunk.

http://www.warm-up-zweiradtechnik.de/umbauten.php

Slain
14-12-2007, 06:37 PM
on my blade i removed the key barrel and relocated it under the riders seat and used the key mount to go into the back of my gauges so they now sit on top of the triples, wouldve loved to put them in the tank but thats way out of my league

Seifer
14-12-2007, 07:21 PM
I did the same as Slain, looks the goods.

JackTar
14-12-2007, 08:40 PM
It would not be very hard to put the gauge on the top yoke as the ignition barrel is not in the top yoke on the Z's it is in front of it.

JackTar
14-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Was also thinking about building a sort of wedge shaped housing for it out of fibreglass and bog and attaching it to the top of the tank so that it is sort of a raised bit at the front but tapered at the back but I have no idea how I would attach something made of fibreglass to something made of metal for a permanent setup. How much bog can you use before it starts to fall off? I don't want this to be dodgy.