PDA

View Full Version : E85 + turbo

Yella
03-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Ok so my bike is running well and the xmas drags are coming up so Im thinking of fucking with it over the next 3 days. Thinking of getting some E85 and retuning before the weekend.

Anyone done this any tip tricks or should I just run as is??????

Im thinking this should be a straight forward rejet and ride job but just checking first :cool:

Deano
03-12-2012, 10:03 PM
From what I have heard it wil use more fuel and you can run more timing for the same boost or more boost for your current timing.
But if your motor has a weak spot like pistons letting go then I don't think that can be avoided. Guess you find the week spot quickly running more boost

Yella
03-12-2012, 10:33 PM
was thinking of running slightly more boost with the same timing. From what I can see should just be a jetting change and should be good. Gunna see if I can get some E85 tomorrow

ALBI
03-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Wat did you ise for retarding ur timming yella ??

Redmohawk
04-12-2012, 05:32 AM
Stoch is 9.7 aim for 7 to 1 for max power rich max lean power is about 9 to 1 (I'd stick with around 7 to 1 going to be hot !) Prob with E85 from the pump is the acutual ratio of alc varies quite a bit , race E85 is consistant at 85%. Prob a very good idea to pick up a couple of 20L drums. Its about the same price as pump stuff anyhow.

Yella
04-12-2012, 05:57 AM
Nothing so gar Albi running stock timing

latheboy
04-12-2012, 07:23 AM
If you are using any old rubber fuel lines you should change them for new ones.
True or not, i've heard that it can eat old rubber.

Jed
04-12-2012, 08:08 AM
I have heard that jetting / fuelling wise and extra 25% bigger is the go. ^^^and as latheboy says. change your fuel lines. Hope it works out for you. Will be interesting to see what difference you find.

Cheers

hyofighter
04-12-2012, 09:57 AM
e85 will eat the rubber like latheboy said also o rings if there no ethanol compatible as well as fuel pumps , id check that last thing ya want is to fuck it before the drags , have heard of older falcons and vn commodores running the blended fuel like e10 and still having rubber and o ring problems

Redmohawk
04-12-2012, 11:43 AM
E85 WONT eat rubber , I've played with it a bit over the last 12 months.

Don't belive me ?

http://www.change2e85.com/servlet/Page?template=Myths

(http://www.change2e85.com/servlet/Page?template=Myths)
Meth will eat rubber, aluminium , etc E85 is made with ethanol (the shit you drink to get drunk) Big difference drink meth and end up blind at best dead quite easy.

Yella
04-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Yep I have read that the E85 wont eat rubber or alloy.
Red the AF readings are gunna be a pain me thinks found this VVVVVVV
"E85 has a different stoichometric air fuel ratio than gasoline's 14.7. The stoich AFR for E85 (at 85% Ethanol) is 9.76. The stoich value represents an ideal perfect burn of the fuel usually used at part throttle conditions. Full throttle conditions require a richer mixture than stoich to prevent the dreaded detonation, or pinging. If you already have a standard gasoline AFR meter hooked to a wideband O2 sensor, you can still use the displayed gasoline AFRs in determining your engine's true AFR. For example, if your gasoline meter is showing 14.7, then we know this is Lamda of 1.0. The equivelent on the E85 side is around 9.7. Therefore you can conclude that the 14.7 you see on the gauge is a true AFR of 9.7. This allows you to effectively use existing gasoline AFR components or software to tune an E85 without buying special equipment. Simply use the same target AFRs on your gasoline gauge that you normally targeted for gasolline."

MMMMMMMM

Redmohawk
04-12-2012, 07:04 PM
You have a wideband sensor already so your home and hosed, All this exert you posted is telling you is FORGET THE NUMBERS ON YOUR DISPLAY ! IE your wideband display has numbers and a rich lean scale. Just tune to the rich lean scale instead of the numbers.

When running petrol stoch is 14.7 and you aim for about 12 ish for wot (especally in your case with boosted motor) the sensor in the exaust probe doesnt know the number being displayed just the oxygen level in the exaust.

So when the Motor is run on E85 the sensor sees the same 0% (close anyhow) oxygen in the exaust and puts out a voltage saying "your at stoch" (usally about 1.1 volts depends on sensor and irellivant to us) So when your display sez 14.7 it really means the oxy level in the exaust is at almost 0% (not accaully the case but close enough for this example) or your at 9.76 accual not the 14.7 displayed.

You could get a sensor/display calibrated for E85 to show you the right numbers , but you dont really need it. Just tune as you would for petrol for cruse @ 14.7 to know thats right and aim for richer for wot 11.5 displayed should work out to be about 7 to 1.

Yella
04-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Can't find anyone to sell me E85 so looks like the dream is over anyway for now

Redmohawk
05-12-2012, 05:36 AM
Violet town , small as buttfuck country town in vic here sells race E85 by the drum and you cant get it up there ? lol

Yella
05-12-2012, 12:28 PM
did the ring around found one place but they only do flex fuel which can be anything from 50 to 85. Gunna try agian today

latheboy
05-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Do you really want to mess with your bike 2 days before the drags?

Safer to run it as it is and worry about it later.

Yella
05-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Whats the worst that could happen :) .
Will leave it for now and work on getting a good supply of E85 for the new toy as it will be drag only

Redmohawk
05-12-2012, 04:30 PM
In my experiance late notice work ends badly , I seem to remember walking home from NFR. Turned out it was just worn from to many km and a burnout once to often, The clutch/bearing is still a OK cant say the same for 2nd gear though .

pappas
06-12-2012, 01:12 PM
The Caltex at Girraween on the Great Western Highway has E-flex which is normally E70. I'm just about to set my car up to run this. E70 has a Stoich ratio of around 10.7 so working off lambda 0.8 (for turbo)your tuning ratio is around 8.6. Similar cars to mine run around 40rwkw more at the same boost as timing is increased and it burns a hell of a lot cooler than 98.

Turbo's are normally tuned at 11.8 air/fuel so you will use close to 30% more fuel. I say go for it!!! It's top stuff!

pappas
06-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Whats the worst that could happen :) .
Will leave it for now and work on getting a good supply of E85 for the new toy as it will be drag only

Missed this post. E flex has been tested fairly consistentl at E70 by a few people on another forum I go to.

Yella
06-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Will check them out