PDA

View Full Version : Need medical advice kind of??

ALBI
27-11-2012, 04:29 PM
OK HERE GOES
JUST GOT WORD TODAY THAT HMPPF CAPS LOCK ! my knee surgery has been scheduled for 20th dec hmm no biggie been waiting a while and its only been 42 days since MRI.
my medial ligament is pulling of bone and meniscus is torn and part of it is floating in knee!!

the hospital and dr had 4 cancelations due to xmas being close, now this is were im torn .
1-the workshop is closeing down for 2 weeks from the 21st dec and my RDO falls on the 21st.
2-been offered to do a weeks work for a mate as he needs to go home for family reasons "NRMA PATROLMAN IN MAITLAND <MY AREA>" $1500 cash
3- go back to work for 4 days in yr then off on 3 weeks hols to surfers with wife and kids and wife told me i can ride the TLS up and back if i want to !
4-so the extra money will help with bills and holiday plus i get to ride yayyyyyyyyy

but !! if i do the opp ,doc says i need 2 days for knee and then use it and keep up the pain killers as needed to prevent clots and swelling etc.
wont be able to do cash job and help mate out and miss out on extra $1500
wont be able to go on most rides at theame parks due to opp!!
and as ive knocked back surgery it gets put back to original date around march,april may maybee!!

im only getting an orthroscapy ??key hole on knee and doc reakons no biggie just take it easy on hols etc
i want it all lol surgery "fuck it hurts by end of day and it i push my left knee to much instant pain for hours",extra work and money so family can have a realy good holiday god knows wife needs it,.
but wife is freaking saying wooooha horsey wat if all goes wrong and knee cant handle it and i cause more harm??
wat to do !!

Gix11
27-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Tough call mate. Personally, I reckon health comes first. Why not get it fixed up and out the way? There is always time for other holidays and other foreigner jobs, but if your knee is fucked more due to avoiding the op and the damage is irrepairable, would that one holiday have been worth it?

If I am wrong about the urgency of the knee and you'll be good for another year with no dramas, then scrap what I just said and do the cashy holiday thing. Doc has the final word I reckon.

RevHead
27-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Albi what Si said ,health before hols bro,if you cant walk you cant ride ,get your knee fixed ,

bladehunter
27-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Do it now.....money comes and goes, ya only get 2 knees.

stiffsimon
27-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Tough call mate. Like the others health should always come first BUT Doctors are obviously going to give you the advice that has least comeback on themselves and even if they are experts in their field it has been known on occassion for some doctors to give advice that isn't actually a certainty. Consider:
Getting an opinion from a physiotherapist to see if he/she concurs with the doctor and look into physio options.
Ask about physio rehabilitation from a physio and not a doctor
Be as specific as you can be with the questions obviously
Ask if any "mechanical" aids such as supports etc would be appropriate.

Ul;timately your decision but as already said hols and foreigners will come along again a fucked knee will be fucked for a long time and have future negative consequences.

As a nurse I've worked with a lot of doctors in my time, some are superb others are frankly shocking and scary and need a good fuckin kicking

hooligan
27-11-2012, 07:01 PM
I'd get the knee done, do the cash job next time, and take it easy on the holiday.
I'm saying that because i've had some fairly major work done on my knee - had a full ACL recon and menicus repair done back in 99, and then in 09 when i broke my femur tib and fib, i also managed to tear the ligaments off the bone. The ligaments were ok, they just had to be reattached.
Do it while it's minor and key hole. Apart from the holes to put the ti rods in, i have a 30cm scar down the outside of my leg from when they reattached the ligaments.
Minor is much better.

kiwi kdx
27-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Mate not much difference between the surgery you will get now and the one you will get when it blows completely....
(they may steel a bit of your hamstring....)

I have exactly the same as you do in my right knee and I'll just get it fixed when it pops rite off, I have been training with it
Like that for over a year now. Much to doctors and physios delight.
Most of the guys I fight and train with do the same, just strap it!

That's just my opinion though, only you know your body mate, listen to it.

bladehunter
27-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Surely TK would have a spare knee or two in his collection

Mishdog20
27-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Ive gotta agree with the majority here mate, i reckon surgery is the go. Would you enjoy the holiday to its fullest with a shagged out knee?? From the sounds of it your missus sounds like a top bird, and i guarantee the whole time your on holiday she would be stressing bout your health. I had me wisdom teeth out the day after work finished 2 years ago, and it worked out real handy. Saved me having to take time off work, and lose 2 weeks but it did suck a bit missin out on chrissie dinner. In the end its purely up too you mate, a bit of a tough decision though. Good luck

fimpBIKES
27-11-2012, 10:28 PM
how hard is this nrma gig? lol

seriously though i assume u only have public cover, if so if u go to back of waiting list how many yrs til its ur turn again?

ALBI
28-11-2012, 07:32 AM
how hard is this nrma gig? lol

seriously though i assume u only have public cover, if so if u go to back of waiting list how many yrs til its ur turn again?
mate its piss easy thats why i dont have a problem with mainly drive around and do lock outs,jump starts and tyre changing etc anything afterthat it gets towed.
shaz and i have full private but as its an o0ld injury from 4 yrs ago its not covered by our new providor but my right knee is and the doc wont do both at same time as left is the worse one thats first!!

when i was a full time patrolman i used to get NRMA " no real mechanic avail" and my replay "NEVER RING ME AGAIN" lol

StuNVA
01-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Do your knee, Docs always exagerate how long it takes to heal.

yoda
01-12-2012, 03:10 PM
If its just an arthroscope you should be able to walk out of the hospital mate.
It's a relatively simple thing and you'll be back to normal before you know it.
Take as little medication as you can get away with, and you really won't miss much.
As stu said, docs have to exaggerate to cover their arse. I've had 3 arthros, 2 recos and then broke my knee joint, last one they said 5 months off work, I lasted 4 weeks(1 in hospital) and was back riding every day in about 6 weeks.

Good luck with it, bad knees are shit!!

ALBI
02-12-2012, 05:14 PM
If its just an arthroscope you should be able to walk out of the hospital mate.
It's a relatively simple thing and you'll be back to normal before you know it.
Take as little medication as you can get away with, and you really won't miss much.
As stu said, docs have to exaggerate to cover their arse. I've had 3 arthros, 2 recos and then broke my knee joint, last one they said 5 months off work, I lasted 4 weeks(1 in hospital) and was back riding every day in about 6 weeks.

Good luck with it, bad knees are shit!!
SO YOU WENT TO WORK HUH OPPS caps lock !!

im going to go ahead with it and do extra work aswell wats the worst that will happen ?? need pain killers and stop working the rest o week!!

ALBI
19-12-2012, 04:25 PM
hmmm colour
anyhow ,well mind is set and im booked in for knee op tomorrow at 12 pm in belmont private.
looking forward to a drug induced sleep lol

ill have friday off and work for nrma for 9 days ,then have a week off and then go to surfers for three weeks for beach side perving lol
lets see if i can handle it .
probly not lol.