PDA

View Full Version : anyone worked at Roxby/Moomba ect???

EFE 1230
22-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Might have a hint at getting a job out there, anyone here ever worked there or somewhere similar??

any heads up on requirements/experience would be cool.

latheboy
22-11-2012, 09:22 PM
I have a mate that worked there years ago .. I'll ask him about it on the weekend

wackyrider
22-11-2012, 09:29 PM
What do you need to know? We had some of the boys from work there for over 5 years

EFE 1230
23-11-2012, 07:32 AM
just want to know what the interview is about and any licence/ticket requirements, fitness/drug test ect.

I just spent 11 years working (for 1 company) in an industry that has been more or less destroyed by chinese imports and all the machinery I can run and all the job skills I have are pretty much industry specific.

the reason I'm looking for a job is that the boss wrote me up (official warning) for "refusing" to come in on a saturday to work with 2 days notice not for a customers job but to work on their new shed, I explained that I had something organised (family) that I couldn't put off on such short notice, got told he didn't give a fuck that they pay my wage/holiday pay/sick leave ect. blahblahblah and I'm expected to work when they tell me blahblahblah ect.

then they tell me qoute; " well from now on for at least the next year you can keep every saturday free just in case we want you to work" (on shed not customer jobs)

I asked if they were going to tell all the other employee's that they had to keep their saturday's free as well and the reply was quote;"no Mike this just concerns you and if you don't like it you can fuck off"

cunts also aren't paying out this years holiday pay as they claim they found I've been overpaid for sick days over the last couple of years due to missing sick certificates, when I pointed out that I have them all (at home) because they stopped asking for them the reply was "that's irrelevant because it's after the fact and we won't accept them"

so no holiday pay and even no dole because I (technically) quit

Jinx
24-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Sounds like the boss is a total dickwad and money is probably crap too.
If you want to work in the mining/oil and gas industry, get the best CV possible and that will probably mean get a company to put it together. It has to look professional and stand out. The HR department dipsticks usually throw the CVs in the bin if it doesn't look good within the first 5 seconds. About the attention span of a goldfish.
Get as many tickets and licences as possible even though you will never need them. Check out Seek and find out what they want for those positions. Apply for everything you are interested in even if you are not experienced as it may lead to other positions in that company.
I get a CV across my desk from time to time and the majority of them are very poorly written, didn't grab my attention and didn't address the job description criteria. It doesn't matter if you are applying for a management or tradeworker position. Get the CV right and you'll stand a much better chance over more qualified applicants.
The requirements for the mining industry is full medical and drug tests. So dont take anything for days or weeks before the medical. Even Nurofen+ and Codral shows up.
The last few interviews I have had are over the phone but usually elaborating what was written in the CV so have a copy on hand.

EFE 1230
24-11-2012, 04:47 PM
cheers Jinx will look into a few tickets ect, yeah boss(es) were cunts, money was shit but it was 5 mins from home!

latheboy
26-11-2012, 07:23 AM
Well i got drunk and spoke to my mate about Moomba.... pretty much what Jinx has said.

scotty
26-11-2012, 08:09 AM
Once you have applied for the position ring them every day. The old squeaky wheel... I would also wait till marchish, most company's slow things down for the wet season

Jinx
26-11-2012, 09:16 AM
Anybody serious about working in the mines and gas industry should start flickin out their CV now as it takes a few weeks/months for HR to get their shit together. The gas industry in Qld and WA is going to be huge and starting to fire up now. There's also coal mines, rail networks and pipelines starting in Qld next year, all long term projects.
Check out Seek every day, look at the position description and criteria and review and revise your CV continually.
If you've got any questions just ask as somebody on here has the answer. Good luck.