PDA

View Full Version : B12 Fuel Question..

Gitzy
05-11-2012, 07:00 PM
The bandit's petcock has 3 settings PRIME, RESERVE AND ON the bike runs fine on PRIME but shit on On would this be due to a dirty filter inside the tank??

I have a new clean filter as a secondary on the fuel line..

What does prime do?? Bypass the ON and Res filters in the tank??

Cheers Lads..

BANDITROD
05-11-2012, 07:04 PM
prime is just constant flow gitzy is it working ok on reserve if not then check your vacuum line that goes to your petcock

Gitzy
05-11-2012, 07:04 PM
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n487/gitzy841/Various/Untitled-3.jpg

Gitzy
05-11-2012, 07:06 PM
The vacuum line is hooked up Rod maybe its not sealing correctly, I was going to take petcock off tomorrow and give it a clean..

Is there any reason you can't run the bike on prime??

BANDITROD
05-11-2012, 07:08 PM
not really no but it may cause it to flood and you could end up with a shitload of fuel on your floor if you leave it on prime while sitting

RevHead
05-11-2012, 07:11 PM
not really no but it may cause it to flood and you could end up with a shitload of fuel on your floor if you leave it on prime while sitting

spot on Rod ,id ride it on prime ,but remember if you run out of fuel your completely empty ok, when you pull up to stop turn it on ,i had the same prob with my 1100w

Gitzy
05-11-2012, 08:03 PM
So If I run it on prime and switch it to On when its parked it should be apples??

Stupid question but does it chew more fuel on prime?? or does it just make it gravity feed as opposed to vacuum ?

RevHead
05-11-2012, 08:15 PM
it just flows to the carbs ,while its running the needle and seats will work fine, and it wont flood .but it could be a diff story when parked.no it wont chew more fule ,as its your right fist contrloig this,

Redmohawk
05-11-2012, 08:16 PM
The on setting uses a diaphram to stop fuel flow when there is no engine vacume. A chunk of snot in the works or a hole in the diaphram will upset the works. The on setting will generally flow slightly less than the prime setting as fuel has slightly less restiction , but not enough to effect a set of carbs in good nick.

As far as the bike is concerned on and prime are the same asside of prime being taken on most bikes from the reserve inlet (so if you run out riding on prime your walking) and as bandit mentioned there is the possablity of a neadle stop leaking and you end up with a crankcase full of fuel. Riding on prime and switching to on will sort it short term. Long term a kit through your pentcock will prob sort the whole show.

NINJAINOZ
05-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Hoping to get my petcock cleaned soon too :p

ozzy1100
05-11-2012, 09:42 PM
im with red that prime comes from res(always what i have worked to)
so if res and prime work fine means filter on res(prime is working) and the vac(res is working) should be ok
so 1st thing id look at is filter on main and work back from there
more than a few times i have found a filter has fallen out (they are just light plastic and only just push into fuel tap)
and last time i primed a bike late at night i forgot to turn back to main and came back next day my oil had a nice new smell
and i had to drain the lot(bikes dont seen to like fuel mixed with oil)

ozzy1100
05-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Hoping to get my petcock cleaned soon too :p

i hope u know playing with petcocks like that will get you locked up

NINJAINOZ
05-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Thats why I let the missus do it

RevHead
05-11-2012, 10:16 PM
mines just offered to play with mine ,im outta here night ,

ozzy1100
05-11-2012, 10:16 PM
this can go no where good.......

NINJAINOZ
05-11-2012, 10:26 PM
My bikes have fuel taps anyway, Years ago we had Fuel taps, triple clamps & axles, Now in OZ we have pet-cocks, Yokes & spindles, WTF?

May all our petcocks never get blocked!

MTBEERWAH
05-11-2012, 11:47 PM
i got rid of mine and put a "pingle" petcock in.
total gravity with big arse I.D hole.
must be turned on and off.
i have forgotten to turn it off a couple of times over night,but had no issues.

Jinx
06-11-2012, 07:48 AM
Had a Z1300 with an electric fuel switch. It must have stuck open one night as there was a smell of petrol the next morning and 3 litres of petrol in the oil. Bugger. Turned the fuel tap off every time after that.

ALBI
06-11-2012, 04:23 PM
basicly todd
prime is for when you do work to carbies ,drain fuel bowl and want to refill without starting!

reserve is for reserve the petcock ""hehe" has a tube inside so it picks up from a pre-determined level when on the "on possi" and requires engine running to produce vaccum and thus allow fuel to flow "this also being a polustion control devise,in cars with a carbie they have a fuel cut of solinoid as to stop fuel flowing into carbie and reduce hydrocarbons in attmosphere!
act as a safty also so if needle and seats get crud in them they wont allow fuel to flow and fill up crank case!!

id pull tank and drain remove petcock,and clean and fit new filter,refill and test
or you can use a mityvac whilst tank on bike place in on possi and crate ur own vaccum with mityvac and fuel should flow!!

Tony Nitrous
06-11-2012, 05:10 PM
I had loads of drama's when I first got my ET.
That had aftermarket inline filter, fuck knows
why? It sat on the cam cover got hot and cooked,
and the tap had seen better days.
Tried cleaning, rebuilding, fixing. Crap.

I bit the bullet, chucked the 2nd filter in the bin,
Put a brand new tap on and everything was sweet.

If your running a factory tap and filter I can't
seen any reason to complicate it with a 2nd filter.

Gitzy
06-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Cheers Lads, there was a 2nd filter that looked a little cooked I figured it had to be there so I replaced it with a new one Tony, so it seems I don't need it yeah? I'll flip tank over tomoz and take tap off and clean it out and check cond.. but as long as I can run it to NFR I'll be happy..

BANDITROD
06-11-2012, 08:00 PM
yeah there shouldnt be a need for a 2nd filter mate

stiffsimon
07-11-2012, 04:56 PM
This is the answer to all your problems though........................innit ;)

http://pingelonline.com/powerflo.htm