PDA

View Full Version : Oil Temp

Seifer
09-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Guys I'm really worried my bike is over heating but unlike my old water cooled I have no idea what temp it is running at. It taking ages to cool down and need to be sure whats going on. First of all, where can I get a decent but cheap gauge from? Any cheap temporary alternatives. How long should the engine take to cool normally? Its still bloody hot after an hour. Anything else I should check for operation?

BANDITROD
09-12-2007, 09:05 PM
hey seifer i think this might be of interest for ya mate http://www.justbandits.com/shop/product.asp?numRecordPosition=9&P_ID=413&strPageHistory=&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=72

Seifer
09-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Thanks Rod, I'll run down to jaycar and get a high temp thermometer in the short run. Again tho, how long should your engine take to cool down enough to touch?

BANDITROD
09-12-2007, 09:28 PM
weel i took mine for a ride the other day it was 32 degrees and it took fuckin ages for it too cool down and i parked it back in the shade so depending on where you went and how hot it was i'd say at least an hour maybe not exactly sure

Seifer
18-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Just wondering Rod with the gauge u posted up, shouldn't the tip of the gauge be in the oil. THe temp with the thermometer midway down past the clutch is 80c but if I tilt the bike so it is closer to the oil I ge a reading closer to 102'c which is borderline high. The casings are also 100c plus.
How perfect do the fins on the cooler need to be? The mixture was really rich so running lean wasn't the problem as I first thought. Is there a way I can test if oil is pumping thru the cooler ok?

BANDITROD
18-12-2007, 09:41 PM
well you could try and set up an oil pressure gauge some how and yeah that seems a bit to hot to me mate