PDA

View Full Version : Metmachex Engineering.

Neo Dutch
01-11-2012, 08:04 PM
So, about 6 weeks ago I ordered a swingarm from Metmachex in the UK. Had to ring them as they don't have any on-line system. Anyhoo, on Monday I got an e-mail from TNT saying they'd picked it up, and it was delivered just after lunch today.

Mega thumbs up to Sean and the folks at METal MACHining EXperts.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-9rSaGFRsT8Y/UF84AZ6lMOI/AAAAAAAACtY/MbAEm_8onbM/s1600/waynes-world_Excellent.jpg

RevHead
01-11-2012, 08:06 PM
piccis

Tony Nitrous
01-11-2012, 09:23 PM
I always like JMC over Metmachex but F#ck, you'd never hear anyone
posting stuff like that about them. Piss poor service.
Thanks for the post. Thats good to hear and worth knowing.

Gix11
02-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Unreal! I've heard people wait a lot longer for custom swingarms than that, and they are IN the UK.

Got some photos of the arm for us as well?

Neo Dutch
02-11-2012, 05:23 PM
JMC were offering an arm ready to go, but wouldn't return any e-mails, despite me saying that I was ready to buy now. Metmachex replied in a matter of hours. JMC has since had a "break in" and all their materials were lost. Another engineering firm has taken up the JMC name, but I think their rep has been trashed beyond repair now.

I did attempt to shop "local" for this one, but was assured that I'd better off to go with this.

NINJAINOZ
02-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Nice looking swingarm, What sort of dollars is one of them worth & what bike does it suit? Obviously a twin shock of some kind?

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=2788&d=1351840808

BANDITROD
02-11-2012, 05:40 PM
i tried to buy off jmc but got fucked around and in the end my deposit was refunded by a recieval company

Gix11
02-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Mmmm, nice swingarm. They do make good stuff. You paid the extra for the polish as well, have fun with that!

Neo Dutch
02-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Ended up about 9 hundy. It's for a HD FXR.

I have a kit from US company that replaces the standard (and quite shit) cleveblock set up. Metmachex have made their own version which they included with the arm, so I'll be able to offload the kit.

Tony Nitrous
02-11-2012, 08:42 PM
I hear you Rod,
I've had JMC arm's and had arms modded by them,
(Drag adjusters and braces added)
Always loved their work, but f#ck they were hard to
deal with.

oldskool
02-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Mmmm, nice swingarm. They do make good stuff. You paid the extra for the polish as well, have fun with that!
Second that mine is a bitch to keep up with.

Aido
03-11-2012, 05:01 PM
If it is a high quality polish job, which it appears to be, then maintenance is required but should be much easier than the old "Wet and dry and autosol, check this shit out its shiny" job.
Little bit often is better than a whole lot all at once approach.
Use an old 100% cotton tshirt or a worn out pair of undies. Do not use microfibre or polyester anything to rub it. Autosol used to be all that was available but Megs NXT metal polish cream is very good at protecting and rejuvenating.
Aluminium has a natural defensive mechanism to oxidise and create a protective coating...Its not aesthetically pleasing but it is what it is. Alluminium oxide is a tough skin that is harder and more durable than the parent metal. To reduce it use high quality polish products on a high quality finish that reduces or deflects impurities from coming in contact or remaining on the surface as an electrolyte.....
Then again paint is cheap and permanent.

TurboKat
04-11-2012, 07:27 AM
To all those Autosol users out there -
Try a polish called Purple, it absolutely shits all over Autosol, a mate & I recently polished a car wheel each, him with Autosol, me with Purple & the shine from the Purple made the Autosol look dull, then we swapped the polishes over & did another pair of wheels just to see if technique had anything to do with it - you guessed it, same result, the Purpled wheel was like a mirror & the Autosol'd one just looked shiny.
My mate who is a lifetime Autosol user was in disbelief & went straight to Bursons & bought a bottle of Purple - No kidding!
The Autosol is probly better for restoring old, fuzzy alloy because it has more gritty-ness but the flip side is a lot duller final finish.

This post bought to you by TurboKat Petrolhead Services inc. (proudly serving the Hoodlum community since 1985)

Tony Nitrous
04-11-2012, 07:30 AM
I will try that TurboKat.

I was a big fan of Autosol but when I had some work done at HMR i mentioned
it and he had a fit! Told me to use the "Mothers" brand. Will try Purple too. Thanks.

NINJAINOZ
04-11-2012, 08:11 AM
I use to buy the autosol tubes up until about 10 years ago & got sick of the fact that you could never quite get the last bit out so I tried the mother polish & was very impressed, I might try the meguirs stuff next though

The quality of the aluminium is also a major factor in the quility of the polish too, Some really poor aliminium just does not seem to come up as nice & hold its finish as well, I have had some really nice billet parts sit saround for 2-3 years and they only needed a quick clean & a light going over with some polish & they came up like a mirror finish again, Crappy aluminium would need a lot more work to keep up a mirror finish

I would look at covering the front inside & top of your swingarm with something (creative)? to protect it from the little rocks that will come off the tyre & leave some nasty gouges that will never polish out, Especially paying near a grand for it

If the "Shine" has that real glow to it & I can see my finger print in the reflection thats usually shiny enough, It gets better & better each time it is polished anyway

Some aluminium tanks can be real pricks due to the lower grade aluminium, Some of my polishing work>

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh540/NINJAINOZ/POLISHED/SRALLOYTANK_zps3b0b614c.jpg

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh540/NINJAINOZ/POLISHED/SRTANKFORKCASES_zps86f2917f.jpg

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh540/NINJAINOZ/POLISHED/SRCASES_zpsceeb116a.jpg