PDA

View Full Version : Good Mechanic Needed - Cenrtral Coast Way

Chase
31-10-2012, 12:33 PM
A mate is having an issue with his HK coupe (sounds like a fuel issue but I'm no mechanic), it's got a VS 5ltr and he needs a decent mechanic around Central Coast way who doesn't mind getting his hands dirty - some won't touch it cause it's "modified".

Any referrals appreciated, or anyone here qualified who wants the work give me a yell.

coxie
31-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Whats the problem? Might be able to help with advice or the shop I work for would have a look, if you could get it here but its a bit of a way to go! lol

Chase
31-10-2012, 01:05 PM
*laughs* yeah be a nice drive though..

When the car heats up it starts to idle rough and mis-fire, it's only started doing it recently. When it's cold the idle seems fine, cheers.

Redmohawk
31-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Assuming stock computer , I'd be looking at temp sender , crank angle sensor , coil packs . Has he done a self diag test by shorting the test plug ?

Chase
31-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Had a bloke from Lube mobile go round today - looks like it might be O2 sensors..

Redmohawk
31-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Heres the link on how to do the diag test yourself, it will tell you if its the O2 sensors. Unlikely But still possable to be O2 sensors though computer really only uses it on lean cruse on highway cycle , more likely the crank angle sensor (know age and heat issue with V6 and 8 in VS) .

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/holden-commodore-how-tos/22307-checking-error-codes-vr-vs-revised.html

coxie
02-11-2012, 01:16 PM
You have to be careful if you are getting O2 Sensor codes, it could be because it is missfiring which the sensors would go out of range and cause the codes to be set. Like Redmohawk said carry out a check on them. Don't forget the basics, plugs leads fuel etc as these will not set codes for themselves, but can cause O2 sensor codes for the reason I said before. Good luck

Chase
02-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Thanks fellas, think he was just a bit dissappointed by the lack of interest by some of the meche's he spoke to.. think it's getting sorted now.

hyofighter
02-11-2012, 03:26 PM
ignition module is a common fault on the 5ltr , can cause no start , rough running , poor performance , in turn the poor running may show up with a scan tool that the oxygen sensors read rich mixtures

if oxygen sensors are the fault un plug them the standard computer should substitute the values as 500mv and it may run better though it may bring up a fault code for them being un plugged

Redmohawk
02-11-2012, 06:32 PM
ignition module is a common fault on the 5ltr , can cause no start , rough running , poor performance , in turn the poor running may show up with a scan tool that the oxygen sensors read rich mixtures

if oxygen sensors are the fault un plug them the standard computer should substitute the values as 500mv and it may run better though it may bring up a fault code for them being un plugged

Good advice .