PDA

View Full Version : Fibreglass ????

Jed
19-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Any fibreglass gurus around my area (South East QLD - Lockyer Valley)

I have carved a shape for a new tail out of polystyrene for the ZXR. Not sure how to tackle the glassing part. (Never done it before). I was just going to get some info of the Web and give it a go.

Do I need to make a mould first? or can i just glas over the top of the polystyrene?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Tony Nitrous
19-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Ozkat is very clued up on this stuff.
Not sure how often he looks in now though.

Redmohawk
19-10-2012, 08:07 PM
Polyester Resin will eat polystyrene , you need to seal it from resin or you'll end up with a sweet smelling sticky mess. Or use epoxy resin (fine over polystyrene wont eat it) its a little more expensive but stinks less , just dont get the catalist on your skin (use latex gloves) as it can cause a rash and isnt the best for you.

Positives for epoxy resins are sticks well to its self , stronger generally , stinks less , and much more water proof but a little more pricey.

DCRacing
20-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Hey Jed,
I have chased a couple around here, the best i could come up with was a mob down the range, but i never used them. I was told that they would do anything or give you a hand to do it. I think they were called Cougar Fiberglassing?
Other than that the best place for supplies was Breuers Marine.
I ended up using ebay or bunnings for supplies as i could never get there in business hours.