PDA

View Full Version : Hello all from Werribee Victoria

Kawasaki Man
07-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Hi all about to embark on a new project got a Kawasaki Gpx600 got as a abandoned project fairings have seen better days so came to conclusion ditch em turn in a street fighter not sure where to start so asking for advice what dash can i run looking at a modern look and handle bar set up:cool:

Bob
07-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Welcome mate.

Redmohawk
07-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Bloody ugly shitboxes ;) , shove 50 hp of Nos into it so it goes fast enough no one see's you and you'll be fine :p welcome

Kawasaki Man
07-10-2012, 08:27 PM
So true there Redmohawk they have been hit with the ugly stick the GPZ600r was a far better looking bike good starting piont engine has been fully rebuilt by previous owner

EVLZX
07-10-2012, 11:12 PM
Yeah, they almost look as bad as a Suzuki.
Welcome.

RevHead
08-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Yeah, they almost look as bad as a Kawasakii.
Welcome.

wash your mouth out with soap, you meant hooonda,lol, welcome dude

see what i did there:p

El_Hefty
08-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Yeah, they almost look as bad ass as a Suzuki.
Welcome.

Betterer

Oh and welcome

Kawasaki Man
14-10-2012, 06:49 PM
went and picked up bike today here is how it looks at the moment mate of mine collect scrap metal and this is what he gave to me all bits are there including new front and rear disc all it cost me was a slab of VB so now the fun begins

Mishdog20
14-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Tiptop mate, sounds like ya got a good deal. Good to see another victorian on here too, there is starting to be a fair heap of us now.

Kawasaki Man
26-10-2012, 03:08 AM
just an update good news engine runs bit of smoke at first but runs compression good now what to do with rear end thinking of 1999 r6 tail or zx6r rear any suggestions please and dash type analogue or digital

Gix11
26-10-2012, 08:07 AM
Did the GPX run a cable drive speedo from the front axle? If so, you could probably pick up and old cable driven speedo from a wreckers if you just want to get it on the road. Alternatively, a magnetic pick up digital speedo would be piss easy to fit. Talk to Ben at Extreme Creations (EXBEN on here) as he has some good digital units.

As for rear end, seeing as your subframe is already off your going to need a new one. Trouble is most new subbies are box section ali and with your tubed steel frame you're screwed. You'll either need to fab a new tube steel subframe to fit whatever plastics you want or alternatively look for a complete subframe off a tubed bike. My angle would be to choose the tail you want first and get a bit of photoshop work done to see how it will look on the bike before you buy it. If the tail works for you then you can work out what to do about the subframe.

Redmohawk
26-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Yeah cable off wheel, I just cut down the original speedo face plate (hacked it out of original dash) and mounted it in an old ag bike speedo housing, took the straight drive shaft off the ag speedo and fitted it to the gpx unit to make the cable run straight out the back instead of the 90 deg setup the GPX had.

Worked fine for 16 months like that, then stuffed a R6 wheel in the front end (no speedo drive) so a GPS on the bars is my current speedo. I made a subframe from 20mm box , and used an ER6 tail plastics.

Kawasaki Man
27-10-2012, 09:33 PM
hey Gix11 good news got rear frame with all the bit and bonus is im a boiler maker by trade so welding and modifying to suit is no prob will use the speedo of a Gpz600 to get rego but will update to a digital unit hey Redmohawk just looked at the er6 tail look good might have a look at it

Redmohawk
28-10-2012, 09:22 AM
If you use one , make sure you use all the mounting points on the plastics (I didn't , just the major ones). My unit has done a lot of highway Km's (over 60,000 with current plastics) and its full of cracks.

Gix11
29-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Sweet, sounds like you have the back-end sorted then. Just need to find the plastics you like the look of.