PDA

View Full Version : zxr750 turbo thoughts???

angrypom
05-09-2012, 07:14 AM
So in my quest for a pair of mental zx7's in both fighteredand faired trim. I’m constantly on the hunt for anything bikes, parts, orinformation to do them. The point is I’ve been given the opportunity to buythis 95 zxr750. Some of you may have seen this bike over the years; I believethese pics have been floating around a while. So the here’s the specs and info Iknow. Any thoughts or info from you guys regarding the bikes setup, price,reliability and tuning would be greatly appreciated.

It’s a 1995 zxr750, old mate has been building been building, breaking andperfecting his setup for years from what I can gather. It’s been mostly builtin Malaysia as the owner lived there. It was running over there, I’m told,reliably, and with no tuning faults, with over 300hp at the tread, 20 somethingpsi of boost, as you see it. It’s obviously running the stock carbs, it’s gotthe custom plenum, disproportional rising rate fuel reg, it’s a Volvo turbo(size?), the turbo's mounted high enough to run a gravity oil drain. As for themotor, it’s been built and rebuilt a few times, in various configs, using acombination of other model OEM parts, and custom parts. It’s had homemadecopper head gaskets (which I don’t know how he got to work without o'ringingthe block, I been there done that), shim plates of different sizes, and a heapof different head gaskets. When was last running had about 8.5:1 compression orthere about. Spark timing remains unchanged. Heavy duty slipper clutch. Like Isaid I’m told over 300hp without a flaw, or issue, no detonation, no tuningfaults. power comes on smooth, and is in positive pressure by about 6000rpm, onlow boost quite streetable, on high its fuckin savage and just mental.
Ok. So now, the bike is located in Melbourne. It’s currently in pieces, and Imean engine stripped pieces. The owner is currently putting it back togetherafter shipping it here from Malaysia. He is giving the engine and internals abirthday while he goes, and is using a thinner head shim to the last one in thehope for a bit more streetability off boost. It’s got a twin headlight setup I’mtold now. Also apparently the wiring, through painstaking trial and error hashad a massive overhaul or something, however in my trade I really can’t see thecomplexity or nightmare I’m told it was. The owners going to fully assemble thebike, get it running again and tuned, and basically have it fit and ready forreregistration. After speaking to him a number of times it’s obvious to tellthe bike has massive sentimental value, and he says he's spent over 40k gettingit to this stage. So after much coaxing an asking price of $9500 has beengiven. He doesn’t want to piece the bike out, as I only really want the donkand setup, and is very touchy about modifying or changing his creation (fairenough but).

My fucking laptops having issues uploading the files here’s the web address forit being for sale in 2009

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25825 (http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25825)

so what do you guess reckon. At the moment I’m worried about the reliability ofit, I mean 300hp, 20+ psi of boost, with carbys, factory ignition, and nointercooler. I really find it hard to believe even with the low comp, it ran onpump fuel without pinging, or having issues with over/under fueling through thewhole rev range. I’ve fucked about with, built, modified and fucked a heap ofboosted cars over the years, in my experience, low boost not an issue but bigboost if it’s not setup and tuned perfect can do big damage real quick. But that’scars, perhaps I’m wrong.
I’d like to see the bike in the flesh before I commit, which is an issue livingin brissy. But beggars can’t be choosers.
I want to rip the donk out and put it in my zx7 chassis, so some slightmodifications will be necessary anyway, so perhaps an intercooler and I would definitelyuse a programmable ignition. Moderate boost, with a safe tune surely wouldn’tbe too much of a hand grenade?????

Jed
05-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Gday Nick

I reckon you'd be better off doing your own - you've got 2 bikes sittin there, just plod along and boost one in your own time. At least you know what your getting for your money. This guy has been trying to sell this thing for a few years now. Just sounds a bit Dodgy to me. My 2 cents anyway.

On another note - are you in town this weekend. I'm heading over to the Powercruise on Saturday. My Brother-in-law has his supercharged HG ute entered in the 50k burnout comp.

nick76
05-09-2012, 10:47 AM
What would S&R (or any other reputable turbo place) charge to turbo one??
Im sure it'd be abit less than that??

hooligan
05-09-2012, 11:09 AM
YooHoo! Ben!
he loves kawasakis almost as much as TK, and has a nasty habit of putting turbos on everything.
I reckon buying a bike that's currently in bits, without seeing it is a massive risk.
I agree with Jed, for that much cash, turbo one you've already got.

Watto
05-09-2012, 01:52 PM
as hooli said speak with Ben - to buy a turbo kit depending on specs could set you back around 6K and then some depending upon how much you can do yourself - there are guys on here who have done it for a bit less buying s/h bits and doing a fair chunk themselves

Hagarr
05-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Carburettors!!!! (SHUDDERS!)

Deano
05-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Stock hp (guess) 95 at the wheel
Minus 15 for the reduction in comp =80hp
Add for best case double hp for every 14.7psi = 160hp @ 14.7psi
Plus another 35hp or so for the increase to 20psi = 195hp
Very rough guesstimate but with no intercooler and other losses because it will never be 100% efficient that High in the boost.
300hp - I doubt
But I really hope I am proved wrong with facts

pav69
05-09-2012, 06:12 PM
talk to yella hes done it & sorted all the bullshit & if i cant sell mine its next yella is making about 180 & it goes like stink on 7-8 pounds & runs great

Yella
05-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Mine is 170hp at the wheel no intercooler and can be ridden every day. Carb's are sweet with the turbo have not been a hassle for me once set up was complete. I can adjust the boost from 6 to 14 PSI (needless to say 14psi is a handful on the street ) without having to change the jets and still in the safe AFR zone :) . It is super sweet on the road the transition onto boost is real smooth can say enough good things about it.
I know the bike you are talking of, nice guy was talking to him when building mine but I have never seen a dyno sheet for it or even seen a video of it moving last I heard it had dropped comp on a couple of cylinders.

This is it yes?

http://www.kawiforums.com/zx-7r/176853-building-turbo-7-a.html
http://www.kawiforums.com/zx-7r/151616-zxr-turbo-problem.html

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu278/elhunga/IMG_7731-1.jpg?t=1302269005

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu278/elhunga/IMG_7726-1.jpg

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu278/elhunga/IMG_0691.jpg

StuNVA
05-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Powercruise on Saturday. My Brother-in-law has his supercharged HG ute entered in the 50k burnout comp.

Powercruise..........Burnouts ????? Tell me more.

Is this the one at Ipswich ?

Jed
06-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Powercruise..........Burnouts ????? Tell me more.

Is this the one at Ipswich ?

Yer Stu. At QLD Raceway. Thursday through to Sunday. Saturday is the big day though. There will probably be BOOBS as well. I
ll take heaps of pics and post them up on Monday.

Jed
06-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Keep an eye for this. It’s my Brother-in-law's

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/9500/hg4z.png

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7948/hd6i.png

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/1281/hg5q.png

StuNVA
06-09-2012, 03:21 PM
I love boobs

mr.zxr
07-09-2012, 10:24 PM
I'm telling from experience that that bike does not make 300hp. As soon as you break 200hp the clutch will slip. I tried every clutch under the sun before doing my lockup, and then i was able to make more power. I'm making 278hp at the rubber but that's with efi, inter cooling and a zx9 donk. The best I did with the 750 was 189hp. If that bike does make the power it's claimed to, it's a bargain as I have spent fuck loads more than that to get mine where it is today.

El hunga
29-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Wow I did'nt know there was such a demand for my bike details.
I would like to introduce myself, My name is Wilson and I'm the owner and builder of the Stealthfighter.
I was living in Kuala Lumpur for 12 years and now I have returned to Melbourne.
Im living in Flowredale.
I do have the bike with me but in pieces as I had to dismantle it for shipping.
Please feel free to ask me anything you would like to know.

Grasias,

El Hunga:rolleyes:

:o
So in my quest for a pair of mental zx7's in both fighteredand faired trim. I’m constantly on the hunt for anything bikes, parts, orinformation to do them. The point is I’ve been given the opportunity to buythis 95 zxr750. Some of you may have seen this bike over the years; I believethese pics have been floating around a while. So the here’s the specs and info Iknow. Any thoughts or info from you guys regarding the bikes setup, price,reliability and tuning would be greatly appreciated.

It’s a 1995 zxr750, old mate has been building been building, breaking andperfecting his setup for years from what I can gather. It’s been mostly builtin Malaysia as the owner lived there. It was running over there, I’m told,reliably, and with no tuning faults, with over 300hp at the tread, 20 somethingpsi of boost, as you see it. It’s obviously running the stock carbs, it’s gotthe custom plenum, disproportional rising rate fuel reg, it’s a Volvo turbo(size?), the turbo's mounted high enough to run a gravity oil drain. As for themotor, it’s been built and rebuilt a few times, in various configs, using acombination of other model OEM parts, and custom parts. It’s had homemadecopper head gaskets (which I don’t know how he got to work without o'ringingthe block, I been there done that), shim plates of different sizes, and a heapof different head gaskets. When was last running had about 8.5:1 compression orthere about. Spark timing remains unchanged. Heavy duty slipper clutch. Like Isaid I’m told over 300hp without a flaw, or issue, no detonation, no tuningfaults. power comes on smooth, and is in positive pressure by about 6000rpm, onlow boost quite streetable, on high its fuckin savage and just mental.
Ok. So now, the bike is located in Melbourne. It’s currently in pieces, and Imean engine stripped pieces. The owner is currently putting it back togetherafter shipping it here from Malaysia. He is giving the engine and internals abirthday while he goes, and is using a thinner head shim to the last one in thehope for a bit more streetability off boost. It’s got a twin headlight setup I’mtold now. Also apparently the wiring, through painstaking trial and error hashad a massive overhaul or something, however in my trade I really can’t see thecomplexity or nightmare I’m told it was. The owners going to fully assemble thebike, get it running again and tuned, and basically have it fit and ready forreregistration. After speaking to him a number of times it’s obvious to tellthe bike has massive sentimental value, and he says he's spent over 40k gettingit to this stage. So after much coaxing an asking price of $9500 has beengiven. He doesn’t want to piece the bike out, as I only really want the donkand setup, and is very touchy about modifying or changing his creation (fairenough but).

My fucking laptops having issues uploading the files here’s the web address forit being for sale in 2009

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25825 (http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25825)

so what do you guess reckon. At the moment I’m worried about the reliability ofit, I mean 300hp, 20+ psi of boost, with carbys, factory ignition, and nointercooler. I really find it hard to believe even with the low comp, it ran onpump fuel without pinging, or having issues with over/under fueling through thewhole rev range. I’ve fucked about with, built, modified and fucked a heap ofboosted cars over the years, in my experience, low boost not an issue but bigboost if it’s not setup and tuned perfect can do big damage real quick. But that’scars, perhaps I’m wrong.
I’d like to see the bike in the flesh before I commit, which is an issue livingin brissy. But beggars can’t be choosers.
I want to rip the donk out and put it in my zx7 chassis, so some slightmodifications will be necessary anyway, so perhaps an intercooler and I would definitelyuse a programmable ignition. Moderate boost, with a safe tune surely wouldn’tbe too much of a hand grenade?????

latheboy
30-11-2012, 07:47 AM
Welcome,

How about starting a new thread and state all the specs of your bike and turbo set up.

Dyno sheet as proof of power.

NINJAINOZ
11-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Whatever happened to this bike & another angrypom?