PDA

View Full Version : er6-n tail mod - opinions please

kawacam
21-08-2012, 06:54 PM
hey guys i'm cam. im a newbie (although i know a little bit, it's not much) but am looking at buying a kawasaki er6-n at the end of the year when i finish school. these have been raved about for a couple years now, and i love the look of them, all of it except the tail section. just so flat and boring.

i did i quick mock up of 3 different tail sections on the bike, hoping to be able to (probably not me, most likely a bike shop) do a bit of custom subframe work and make these tail sections able to fit on the bike. so far i've done a ktm RC8, yamaha R6 and and kawasaki zx6r.

which one do you guys like the most? and do you have any wisdom to share on how easy/hard this will be to do (i know of places where i can get all of these different tail sections out of fibre glass).

RC8
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/cammacfarlane/er6n-rc8tail.png

R6
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/cammacfarlane/er6n-r6tail.png

zx6r
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/cammacfarlane/er6n-zx6rtail.png

thanks guys! also, if you know of any other naked LAMs approved bikes (XJ6 or gladius or something) and reckon they're better than the er6, your opinion is appreciated!

Bob
21-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Welcome mate. I like the first one. Nice high tail look. :)

RevHead
21-08-2012, 07:13 PM
welcome fella ,number 1 is the tail

ozzy1100
21-08-2012, 07:17 PM
love 1 but ud prob be better with 2 with rego and 45 from axl cover

Gitzy
21-08-2012, 07:42 PM
Welcome Cam, I like number 2.

K6Thou
21-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Welcome to the madness Cam. I'm with Bob on this one the RC8 looks the goods.

oldskool
21-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Only if you want it to look good that is.

Redmohawk
21-08-2012, 07:47 PM
welcome N2

xa-mont
21-08-2012, 09:07 PM
i like 1, but wouldn't the RC8 tail actually be a bit bigger than that?

wackyrider
21-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Welcome mate

nemo
21-08-2012, 09:44 PM
i like 1, but wouldn't the RC8 tail actually be a bit bigger than that?

Welcome lad,
and yes creative photochopping will do that, the rc8 tail will be bigger, the r6 tail will be bigger, and that zx tail will DEFINATLY be bigger in real life.

That said, theres no reason you couldnt pull it off, the RC8 is the pic of the bunch though, new subframe and presto.

Maybe havta update the rest of the bike though, the sharp lines from the ktm tail dont quite match up to the curvey front of the er6

kawacam
21-08-2012, 11:08 PM
Welcome lad,
and yes creative photochopping will do that, the rc8 tail will be bigger, the r6 tail will be bigger, and that zx tail will DEFINATLY be bigger in real life.

That said, theres no reason you couldnt pull it off, the RC8 is the pic of the bunch though, new subframe and presto.

Maybe havta update the rest of the bike though, the sharp lines from the ktm tail dont quite match up to the curvey front of the er6

i did a couple measurements and according to my calculations the size 8.18% to be a 1:1 scale of tail to body with the zx 6r tail (i did this using wheelbases and scales).

heres a picture of the r6 tail on an er6 in real life, it looks pretty similar to my mock up.
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/cammacfarlane/3185653307.jpg

i did some more calculations to see how the rc8 tail is and it only needs to be increased by 4.86% for it to be 1:1 scale with the bike. i am surprising myself about how accurate my first renderings were!

Baref00t
21-08-2012, 11:10 PM
I've got the non-lams ER6N, and it's surprisingly entertaining. It's basically the MX5 of bikes, sure it lacks the raw power of a Skyline/Supra/WRX (or, if you will, R1/CBR/ZX10r) but it's probably more fun at lower speeds... Can't comment on the later year models, except it's disappointing they added so much weight!
DEFINITELY get a Two Bro's pipe for it. There are some youtube vids giving you an impression of the different sounds available, but I've parked mine right next to my VTR thou (twin Yoshi's) and it's splitting hairs between them.

Cost-wise, you'll proably get your hands on a ZX tail more easily, and there's a chance it'll marry up to the frame with less mods, keeping it in the family, but I'd put my vote in for the R1, with RC8 close 2nd (for looks).

kawacam
21-08-2012, 11:26 PM
love 1 but ud prob be better with 2 with rego and 45 from axl cover

probably a rookie question, but i have no idea what the second part of that sentence means :confused:

kawacam
21-08-2012, 11:31 PM
I've got the non-lams ER6N, and it's surprisingly entertaining. It's basically the MX5 of bikes, sure it lacks the raw power of a Skyline/Supra/WRX (or, if you will, R1/CBR/ZX10r) but it's probably more fun at lower speeds... Can't comment on the later year models, except it's disappointing they added so much weight!
DEFINITELY get a Two Bro's pipe for it. There are some youtube vids giving you an impression of the different sounds available, but I've parked mine right next to my VTR thou (twin Yoshi's) and it's splitting hairs between them.

Cost-wise, you'll proably get your hands on a ZX tail more easily, and there's a chance it'll marry up to the frame with less mods, keeping it in the family, but I'd put my vote in for the R1, with RC8 close 2nd (for looks).

i like your analogy, i'm a lot more familiar with cars than bikes at the moment. i have just bought my first car a couple months ago and im in my last year at school so working is getting more and more hard with my exams in the not to distant future. all this means that i JUST have enough to buy the bike currently and ensure it etc etc so the slip-ons and other things on the bike will have to wait till later in the bikes life unfortunately

geesexar
22-08-2012, 05:29 AM
welcome mate...definatly no 1

nemo
22-08-2012, 07:20 AM
i did a couple measurements and according to my calculations the size 8.18% to be a 1:1 scale of tail to body with the zx 6r tail (i did this using wheelbases and scales).

heres a picture of the r6 tail on an er6 in real life, it looks pretty similar to my mock up.
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/cammacfarlane/3185653307.jpg

i did some more calculations to see how the rc8 tail is and it only needs to be increased by 4.86% for it to be 1:1 scale with the bike. i am surprising myself about how accurate my first renderings were!

Fair enough, that actually looks pretty good on there!

probably a rookie question, but i have no idea what the second part of that sentence means :confused:

Means have to think about where your licence plate will sit.
Police love when fenders arent correctly placed, its almost as dangerous as outlaw mc's or terrorists...

EVLZX
22-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Welcome!
Stick with a Kawasaki

ozzy1100
22-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Not just u mate most people can't understand 1/2
the shit that comes out my hole lol
The law says u are surposed to have a min cover of the rear wheel
ie guard etc and the min is a line from the center of the rear
axel backwards at 45 *, most people run fender elim's but tec these are not allowed
and is IMO fast becoming one of those small things the cops know and are looking for.
And again this is IMO as a p plater u don't want to bait the fucks

kawacam
22-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Not just u mate most people can't understand 1/2
the shit that comes out my hole lol
The law says u are surposed to have a min cover of the rear wheel
ie guard etc and the min is a line from the center of the rear
axel backwards at 45 *, most people run fender elim's but tec these are not allowed
and is IMO fast becoming one of those small things the cops know and are looking for.
And again this is IMO as a p plater u don't want to bait the fucks

Fair enough, that actually looks pretty good on there!

Means have to think about where your licence plate will sit.
Police love when fenders arent correctly placed, its almost as dangerous as outlaw mc's or terrorists...

wow that is a crappy law. well i'm definitely going to ignore this rule, as i love the look of an exposed rear tyre, it just looks so aggressive. and plus, the stock fenders are pretty ugly to my eyes... and i would be removing it even if i was keeping the stock tail

EVLZX
22-08-2012, 01:06 PM
how long till you get your fulls?

StuNVA
22-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Welcome to the board, I actually like the ZX6 tail the most, it's a bit flat trackerish.

Gix11
22-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Wow, nice intro topic! Welcome aboard mate.

kawacam
22-08-2012, 06:40 PM
how long till you get your fulls?

once i get my L's, i have to have them for a minimum of 3 months before i can do a test to get my P plates. after i get my P plates, i would have to keep them for 4 years (1 year on red P's and 3 years on green P's,) but because i have my car license i only have to keep the P's on until my car probationary period finishes, and because i got my car licence at the start of this year i will only be a probationary rider for less than 3 years. and i have to ride a learner approved bie for at least 12 months after i have got my P plates. sorry if that's super confusing lol

MDM
22-08-2012, 07:16 PM
The ER-6 is an ace bike - just needs a new front end (radial brakes, so ZX-6R or 10R front end), a decent shock and a nice tail unit. I'd gor for a ZX-6 or 10 tail unit, maybe cut-down to suit the size of the ER, would be nice to keep it all Kawa.
I think the KTM tail looks way too high - I've seen a few bikes with them fitted and they look really at odds without a fairing, and they're very angular too, so don't suit a bike with soft, flowing curves on the tank and frame.

kawacam
22-08-2012, 09:08 PM
The ER-6 is an ace bike - just needs a new front end (radial brakes, so ZX-6R or 10R front end), a decent shock and a nice tail unit. I'd gor for a ZX-6 or 10 tail unit, maybe cut-down to suit the size of the ER, would be nice to keep it all Kawa.
I think the KTM tail looks way too high - I've seen a few bikes with them fitted and they look really at odds without a fairing, and they're very angular too, so don't suit a bike with soft, flowing curves on the tank and frame.

yeah i'm really leaning towards the zx6r tail or the R6 tail. the more i look at the rc8 tail the more odd i think it looks

JDinOZ
23-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Hey mate, I think 2 or 3 for looks, but as it is a kwaka id go with the zx6 tail.

nick76
24-08-2012, 10:23 AM
I'd go the zx6 tail.
Are these bikes easy to UN-Lams?
Is it just a throttle restrictor.....or complete ECU thats needed.....or is it the Gladius that needs the ECU?

EVLZX
24-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Used to be so easy to get your licence, least these days you have a bit more choice in bikes to ride.

EVLZX
24-08-2012, 07:04 PM
And ZX6:cool:

kawacam
25-08-2012, 12:30 AM
I'd go the zx6 tail.
Are these bikes easy to UN-Lams?
Is it just a throttle restrictor.....or complete ECU thats needed.....or is it the Gladius that needs the ECU?

there is both a mechanical (throttle body restrictor) and an electronic fuse type component that stops the valves from fully opening or something. i think its a DIY type job with only minor skills being needed to do so