PDA

View Full Version : Really Fuckin angry

stiffsimon
05-08-2012, 06:28 PM
I've heard Master Blaster say don't use NGK as they're crap nowadays. Shit I wish I'd have taken his comments a little more seriously.
After getting my Speedy nicely refurbed I was doing the final assembly today and ready to get it rockin n rolling. New oil, check. New antifreeze, check. New plugs, check.
So I'm replacing the spark plugs and SNAP the fucker snaps in half just below the crush washer and I now have half a plug stuck in my cylinder head :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:.
The really fuckin annoying thing is though it's the NEW plug that has snapped!!!!

The old one came out quite easily. So I set my torque wrench at 20 Nm as per the workshop manual and I'm snugging it up when the fucker snaps on me. It hadn't even reached full torque of 20 NM my guess is it snapped at about 15 Nm. How the fuck can a brand new plug snap in half at less than the recommended torque setting? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad: The wall thickness of the threaded part where it snapped is 1.4mm.

Anyway does anybody have any ideas of how to remove the plug without dropping the engine and taking the head off?
I've got some Eezi outs but the plug is waaay down inside a tunnel and the Eezi out just isn't long enough and it has a square drive so I can't even fit one of my socket extensions on to it.
Not a happy chappy. Cheap shitty NGK's and I'll NEVER use the fuckers again:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad:.

Rant over.............................................. ....................................for now

BANDITROD
05-08-2012, 06:40 PM
i hate to say it mate but i told you so they are shit .....chin up you will get it sorted

MattyDucati
05-08-2012, 06:42 PM
I think you'll have to take off the head cause however you get the plug out you'll probably get pieces that will fall into the cylinder. :eek: sucks to be you

Redmohawk
05-08-2012, 07:04 PM
If the insulated stem and centre electrode came out the the top part of the plug then an easy out (with the square base ground down) fitted to a 3/8 inch drive will prob get it out.

Get bolt say 14mm head and a few matching nuts two 14mm 3/8 sockets, spin nuts onto bolt lock them together. Use one socket on 3/8 drive bolt into that socket then other socket. Efectively making a female 3/8 drive. Shove your easyout into that and away you go.

A bore scope look down your cyl before refitting a new plug would be a fucking good idea though.

If you have to drill the plug to get crap out of the middle of the plug first then I'd be betting the head needs to come off. (you could try the magnet trick but insulator ceramic isnt something you want floating about in the motor)

If you get some metalic crap in there a rare earth magnet (get them from jacar electronics) glued to a bit of dowel will suck up any crap.

Jockney Rebel
05-08-2012, 09:02 PM
what he said ^^^...

oldskool
05-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Never had a problem with NGK plugs but they beat the hell out of Champion, tap an easy out in the hole and wind it out no need to stress its never as bad as you think.
You may have been on an angle when you did her up which will give you faulse tourque readings but have never used one myself on a plug but hey nothing like being anal hey Simon.
If ya need a hand give me a hoy.

OLD SKOOL BANDIT
05-08-2012, 11:27 PM
Sux Simon. If you get it out with ezi out, I have an endoscope if you need to check for debris

Redmohawk
06-08-2012, 05:55 AM
Sux Simon. If you get it out with ezi out, I have an endoscope if you need to check for debris

Kinky devil !

stiffsimon
06-08-2012, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the offers and Red I'll give your suggestion a try. Unfortunately I was so pissed off that I threw the broken plug at the wall and now it's a lot more broken so I can't remember whether or not the insulation and the electrode were left in with the broken part of the plug left in the head or if it was still part of the plug that came away.
I'll take you up on that offer of your endoscope Brynn if I do manage to get it out. WTF are you doing with an endoscope anyway?
Hey Matty "sucks to be you" LOL.

EXBEN
06-08-2012, 08:57 AM
A big flat screwdriver usually works. The thread shouldn't be too tight in there.

Blackkat
06-08-2012, 09:46 AM
the driver worked for me

OLD SKOOL BANDIT
06-08-2012, 12:14 PM
No problem Simon, just let me know when you want it. I'd consider sticking a vacuum cleaner hose in the tunnel too. Before, during and after extraction in case any ceramic material is in there.

OLD SKOOL BANDIT
06-08-2012, 12:14 PM
Kinky devil !

I'm saying nothing :cool:

stiffsimon
06-08-2012, 12:59 PM
I just thought I've got an oxygen cylinder here at work with a yankauer suction attachment on it for sucking vomit and debris and shit out of peoples throats. I can take this home and it will be perfect for sucking debris up from my plug hole. From the yankauer's point of view I'm sure a spark plug channel isn't too much different from a throat :D

hooligan
06-08-2012, 04:49 PM
"sucking debris up from my plug hole". now theres a phrase you don't hear everyday.

Redmohawk
06-08-2012, 06:49 PM
I just thought I've got an oxygen cylinder here at work with a yankauer suction attachment on it for sucking vomit and debris and shit out of peoples throats. I can take this home and it will be perfect for sucking debris up from my plug hole. From the yankauer's point of view I'm sure a spark plug channel isn't too much different from a throat :D

Handy being a medico some times , just watch brin with the endascope (who knows where he might put it)

80s freak
08-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Go with Bens suggestion, and as Old skool said I to have never had an issue with NGK, but have with Nippon Denso and dont even get me started with champion, Bosch or splitfire. if you're concerned about crap in the cylinder I have a fibre bore scope as well.

stiffsimon
09-08-2012, 07:37 AM
Anyone know where I can get a decent head gasket and other gaskets and shims for a 2002 Speed Triple over than through Peter Thievens as genuine Trumpy parts are expensive?

Hagarr
09-08-2012, 10:48 PM
whenever I do a helicoil or similar i would simply crank the engine over with the plug out to make sure no debris is left in!

Never had an issue it either went out the plug hole or the exhaust, lucky I guess.

stiffsimon
13-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Well.............................................. ....................not so fuckin angry anymore ;);) Firstly thanks for all the replies and suggestions and comments particularly Redmohawk cause it was your suggestion that finally ended up in this

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz9/siminoz63/My%20beloved%20Speedy/SpeedyOhdear001-3.jpg

Came out quite easy in the end. And thanks to Geoff I've had a look down and apart from a lot of crappy carbon on my piston it all seems good :D:D

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz9/siminoz63/My%20beloved%20Speedy/SpeedyOhdear001-4.jpg

I was really gutted when this happened but all for no reason.Hopefully come this weekend the old tart will be up and running again

kiwi kdx
15-08-2012, 01:38 PM
close call stiffie...........

stiffsimon
15-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Indeed it was mate.Good thing about it is as well is that I can now re focus on my true project the GSX. Your Kawasaki thingy :D seems to be coming along nicely whilst my Suzook sitting neglected.looks like your's will be breathing fire before mine.

ozzy1100
15-08-2012, 02:09 PM
lol yr prob like me simon old sckool builds u have to wait till u can aford the parts

stiffsimon
15-08-2012, 03:20 PM
You're not wrong there Ozzy. My build is absolutely determined by availability of funds. The plus side is though when it's finished it will look soooo much better than any of these new fangled watercooled thingies :D

ozzy1100
15-08-2012, 04:20 PM
my thoughts mate def my thoughts
there is just something about rideing old school mussel
i think i have paid for most of the parts for my motor and i try not to do the sums it scares me lol
not as bad as i thought but still..... but so much more of trill than the sewing machinces around now even if i still give away hp

Redmohawk
15-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Very good shit