PDA

View Full Version : Cracking open a Busa Headlight

fimpBIKES
16-07-2006, 01:57 AM
like the title says,

i need to open up my busa headlight so i can put some bolts thru it to hold it on

it seems to have little tab things, but im not sure if i should force em

i have one other idea, but i sorta want to be able to use the thing afterwards :D

fimpBIKES
16-07-2006, 02:30 AM
well
i just downloaded a busa manual

fat load of good that was....

sharky
16-07-2006, 09:30 AM
You could try the wreckers for a smashed one and play with that first. I am doing that with my gpz headlight to fit a modern reflector/ clear glass unit..

Rich
16-07-2006, 05:14 PM
fimp, have you thought about 'nutserts', those soft aluminum threaded inserts you place in a blind hole then crimp up with a rivet like hand tool.

All you'd have to do is drill the holes vacuum or blow the swarf out of the holes or bulb holes, insert the nutserts, crimp them up and away you go, no need the crack the light assembly open

I think nutserts may have different manufacturer names as well.

Cheer Rich

Booster
16-07-2006, 06:34 PM
The tab things look to be plastic welded on assembly don't think it would seperate easily.
I was thinking of cutting the busa front fairing down to a bare minimum (centre V, part of the screen and just enough around the headlight to "frame" it) mount at the mirror brackets and headlight to fairing screws.

damo1
16-07-2006, 08:25 PM
The lens will be glued in the little tabs are only there to hold the lens
on while the glue goes off so id steer well clear of that option it will
probly root the lens or the base or both.
Do as rich said nutserts are definatly the way to go easy neat and put them where
you want with out worrying about the lens being in the way of any thing.

fimpBIKES
16-07-2006, 10:29 PM
yeah, i have some nutserts here
nice big m8 ones

im just kinda worried that once i tighten up the bolts i might never get em undone...

oh well
rexie had a go at it today and almost fukt the plastic
thanks for nuttin rex [:P]

i might be able to use the stock ones
i'll give that a shot first, i will probably be wanting to sell the busa headlight later this year anyways

gibbo
17-07-2006, 12:04 AM
Why don't you have some tabs welded on to the housing that can accept brackets or bolts. Plastis welding is cheap and easy.

Zed14
17-07-2006, 05:22 AM
anytime i can help fimp. no problem.

Slingblade
17-07-2006, 07:14 AM
I have a heap of hollow wall anchors which i think is what you guys mean by nutserts and a gun for them if you need it fimp. I think it would work a treat for your light. They are quite sturdy once they are in. Let me know and i can get em to you.

Stocky
17-07-2006, 08:32 AM
Put it in the oven at 80 for a while and the glue goes soft .

You usually have to cut the clips off and then warm it up. When it's warm it'll just pull apart.

Do your thing then warm it back up and put it back together

fimpBIKES
17-07-2006, 12:37 PM
i tried in front of heater stocky, but not hot tnough i guess

i can borrow a nutsert gun from work, shall try that

if the inserts spin, then i will open it up anyways

fimpBIKES
17-07-2006, 08:40 PM
i borrowed this sweet little tool of a 'lecco at work
its ingenious!

going to put in 4 little M6's that'll hold it

fimpBIKES
17-07-2006, 08:41 PM
oh and gibbo
i have the setup to plactic weld brackets on

but im kinda keen to just uuse little bolts and then plug the holes when i sell it
just bo easier