PDA

View Full Version : Fitting cbr250 wheels to a 1992 xt600

Tom Calleja
19-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Hey guys, just came across this forum and thought i'd ask for a little info
I've recently picked up a pretty clean 1992 xt600 and i'm just replacing a fair few of the parts and doing some street mods, just gotten to the point of wheels...
I've seen a lot about people putting cbr250/rgv250/fzr250 cast wheels on these, but i'm not 100% sure on the hubs needed

After searching around and i've only found one guide that wants to charge $35 to download it lol
So can anyone point me into a good direction on where to find all of the information, or if anyone knows and would like to tell me what mods are involved i'd be very grateful http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/images/smilies/smile.gif
Thanks!

wackyrider
19-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Welcome bud. I recommend you introduce yourself in the Welcome to the mMadness section first.

Other than that I'm pretty sure someone will be able to help out. U Maltese?

nemo
19-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Get bike, get wheels, try to fit.
Does it fit?
Yes. Job done, have beer.
No. Have beer, work out why.

Need spacers? Ask here.

K6Thou
19-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Does it fit?

This is possibly some of the best build advice I've heard.....

Tom Calleja
19-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Thanks for your quick replies :)
Just introduced myself on there also
Yes wackyrider i am maltese actually lol, why is that?

I have a feeling i'd need spacers, i might task myself of taking one of the wheels off of my cbr and check them out for size, i just wanna keep both bikes running though :(

wackyrider
19-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Does it fit?

Need spacers? Ask here.

Funny as, but so so true. lol

nick76
19-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Are you the Tom27 that signed up at supermotoaus recently asking the same question??
$35 is well spent,if it gives you drawings of what spacers and front brake re-locator bracket needs to be made??
Alot better than spending fkn hours in the shed figuring it out,then trying to draw it up or explain to someone what you want!!
Good luck with whatever way you decide to go

Tom Calleja
19-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Yeah mate that was me, i wasn't too sure on how active that forum was anymore =/
It seems like i'm just going to have to bite the bullet and pay up for the guide lol, i'll just have to confirm that it'll have details for the xt
It's just frustrating! I have pretty much all other parts sorted or answered for, just not these damn wheels!

nick76
19-07-2012, 08:22 PM
If the $35 gives you detailed drawings....for those wheels,to your bike........its a bargain!
Just remember that you shouldn't do too much jumping on those cast wheels......they wont like it for too long and will probably fracture from abuse. Road riding should be fine for years like on a road bike.
Supermotoaus is a good site,used to be alot of bikkering and bitching.....but i guess that happens when afew of the main guys there are pretty outspoken. Afew have moved on...and its abit more sedate there now.

Tom Calleja
19-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Interesting....well i guess $35 is pretty easy to spare, i'm only a little weary is all haha, but i know if it has the info i need, i'd probably pay $100
Nah man it won't be doing many jumps, if any at all. Maybe a speed bump every now and then ;)
But seriously yeah, i'll have another look see, either that or i'll take her up to brisbane and just get some new rims laced up
I heard of a place called ashes wheels? around brisbane is anyone knows? Apparently between 800-1200ish for a new pair

Redmohawk
19-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Measure the room you have and do a walk around at your local bike wrecker with tape in hand, take axle with you just in case you find something that turns you on , to check bearings (might be close if your lucky) If not a bearing supply joint can prob sort that issue pritty quick.

wackyrider
19-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Thanks for your quick replies :)
Just introduced myself on there also
Yes wackyrider i am maltese actually lol, why is that?

I'm a Malteser also, lol. But you're the first that I know of on this forum.

First off I would take front wheels off both bikes to see where u stand. If the wheel fits on the standard shaft and fits in the forks, then all u need is some spacers and you're laughing

K6Thou
19-07-2012, 09:40 PM
^^^ Its a bloody invasion...lol

xa-mont
19-07-2012, 10:28 PM
fucking frenchies.

wackyrider
19-07-2012, 10:32 PM
:)

BANDITROD
19-07-2012, 11:10 PM
holy fuck well i hope this one brings frogs legs to the next piss up lol

Hillsy
19-07-2012, 11:33 PM
Have a look over here for bearing sizes:

http://www.bikebearingshop.co.uk/C1.htm

Just a quick look tells me your XT runs the same bearings all round as an RGV, so that would be an easy(ish) swap. There's probably a bunch of others too.

Jinx
20-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Hi Tom. These guys are from Brisbane. Ive seen their kits in action at Mount Glorious and spoken to the guys that develop the kits. Easy conversion and they are really helpful. Saves a lot of pain and suffering.

http://motard-supermoto-wheels.sportsontheweb.net/index.htm

xa-mont
20-07-2012, 05:06 PM
and you don't even need to pay for the info sheets if you know how to use google properly ;)

Tom Calleja
20-07-2012, 09:16 PM
ahaha, you guys are crack ups
thanks jinx, i'll definitely check it out :)

xa, i've searched around a fair bit haha it just seems that people love going on about how they got cast wheels on their xt600, but none will say how!

Redmohawk
20-07-2012, 09:54 PM
I dropped a zzr250 rim into a xr600, it took spacers modded disk caliper mount (part of fork , just milled 4mm off) and a different speedo drive fork. Oh and running the rim backwards after maching it down a little . Not sure on the differences between an xt and xr front end but I doubt theres a huge difference.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/showthread.php?23036-600-Hontard/page3

Tom Calleja
21-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Interesting, i spoke to the guys down at ash's wheels in brisbane and they just said i'd be best off checking out a shop that does machining and all that
Think i might just save up my next couple of pays and get some spoked wheels laced up to save the hassle and get the better look, then atleast after the new exhaust and sprockets the bike will pretty much be done :)

Redmohawk
21-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Spokes look far sexyer IMO .

Tom Calleja
21-07-2012, 09:24 PM
spokes it will be then :P

Jinx
21-07-2012, 09:39 PM
spokes it will be then :P

Only reasons to go mags is it can sometimes work out cheaper than new rims and a respoke, they are easier to clean and you can run tubeless tyres. Got spokes and tubes on the KTM and never had a problem with them in 3 years.

Tom Calleja
21-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Yeah that was my main reason for going with cast wheels straight up, but i don't really wanna rip apart my cbr =/
Just a little too eager to get the xt fully done
I admit though, gave it a good sand and paint yesterday and it's shaping up pretty well since the tank had the retro 90's aqua green on it originally. I just need to wait for all my other parts to arrive, then get my exhaust and wheels sorted :)