PDA

View Full Version : Zed fighter speedo drive?

les holt
18-07-2012, 12:29 AM
I go to the Zed pictures at least 5 times a day just to drool. My present bike is kinda a fighter/drag blend and I'm running electric gauges so it's no big deal but my next build is going to use stock gauges. My question is what kinda speedo drives are you using with the 17" front wheel setups. So you know, everywhere I go I feel pretty good about my work but I'm humbled here with the craftsmanship I've seen done on these old Kaws.
Thanks for the help guys!

Les

Gix11
18-07-2012, 04:44 PM
So you're saying you want to run cable drive and not magnetic pulse sensors yea? That's a tough one for me to answer as most guys go the other way. Have you considered running a modern day electronic pickup / analog guage internals in the original unit somehow?

evad
18-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Les I use a suz gsxr one, I worked it out by measuring the distance the original 19"wheel traveled in one turn and then the same for the 17 incher. Then worked out how many turns the speedo drive did needed to do one turn on the original and then the zuk one and they were pretty close. Of course its a bit of an idiots way of doing it and if I was any good at maths I probably could have worked it out min a much simpler way :rolleyes:

Redmohawk
18-07-2012, 07:37 PM
Use the drive off what ever 17 inch wheel you pick (assuming its a cable driven unit) making sure you have the room to fit the wheel/drive unit combo into your bikes forks is always a smart move from the start (but you can find narrower drives from related dirt bikes and/or smaller capacity bikes Ie 250cc etc as there forks tend to be narrower providing less room and smaller drives).

If the drive has the wrong ratio to the speedo to produce correct speed reading , its pritty easy to make a ratio box for bikes using remote control car gears (look for 32 pitch gears for tamia cars as there very common shafts bearings are easy to come by cheap and range from 13 teeth all the way up to 54 teeth)

Just find the wheel you like if its a cable drive setup , work out the ratio you need to change it by. To do so :-

Use your stock wheel count how many rev's the cable does (exactly) for a set distance (doesnt matter how long but aim for a bit of a walk the longer the distance the easyer it is to get accurate) then do the same with your new front end over the same distance divide one count of rev's by the other and you have your ratio needed to give the old clocks the correct speed/odo .

les holt
18-07-2012, 11:14 PM
Yeah, going cable, maybe. I thought about the ratio box and may do that but I knew there were options from other bikes. I was considering going with the ZX11 drive but didn't know if anyone had tried it. I try to use the newest donor parts I can find which means no cable drive. I keep looking for clocks that can be faced to look original and fit in a stock bucket but have yet to find anything. Any ideas?
Thanks for the help

Les

Dynomutt
19-07-2012, 03:34 AM
MkII Bandit 1200 clocks are electronic and look old skool in the chrome binnacles. I will be using them on my new build, the speedo sensor is the same on most Suzukis and most Kawasakis, so there's no issue there. You can use either the speedo nut off the Bandit which bolts onto the shaft with an M6 bolt, or the Kawasaki castle nut.