PDA

View Full Version : Hi from QLD

maggs
17-07-2012, 08:40 PM
Hi All,

Just recently joined and paid my membership dues and looking forward to conversing with you guys.

I'm no spring chicken, over half a ton but still riding and have been for 40 odd years. A couple months ago I sold my 07 R1 cause it was just too painful riding after some bolts now restrict my back movement plus a bunch of old war wounds. I only lasted a few months without a bike and said screw this, there must something I can still ride. I'm not ready for a Harley just yet so I started looking for a project. Come across what seemed like a good deal on ebay and made a bid and ended up winning a 96 ZX7R. She looked pretty ratty in the photo's but the price was right and I've been a kwaka guy since 79 when I bought my first roadie, a Z1000 MkII. I didn't have enough time to go and look at it so just hoped for the best.

When I arrived to pick her up I was pleasantly surprised. Apart from being filthy I could see some nice bits were fitted and new tyres and chain and sprockets and an ABM top triple clamp with a near new set of Renthals. The guy told me he suspected the cam chain was stuffed as the last ride he had a year or so ago ended with a lot of clacking noises and finally it wouldn't start. He handed me a brand new cam chain and wished me luck.

Got her home and unloaded her and ripped into it. Total strip down and suspected a motor rebuild was probably going to happen too. I ripped the plugs out and number 3 hole was full of water and the boot was split real bad. Blew the water out and did a compression test, all good. Hmm, maybe the clacking was the plug hole shorting out the spark. Ripped of the cam cover and chain was perfect and tight. Looks like I might be lucky here for a change.

Over the next few weeks I polished the frame and swinger and painted the rest. Added a few bits of bling and put her all back together. After lots of drama with the carbs, I finally got her running nicely.

As purchased.
http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u510/smagaric/ZX7ROriginal.jpg

About a week ago.
http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u510/smagaric/IMG_0174.jpg
http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u510/smagaric/ZX7RPainted2.jpg

Since the photo I've changed a few bits and put the grab bars back on. Worst of all I crashed her on the second test run. Luck it wasn't a major deal but could have been. I wasn't happy with the fuel line from the tank to the filter. It's a moulded jobby that has lots of turns and kinks so an oem was needed as it was starting to crack. Rode into the local bike shop and order one. One the way home it started to starve for fuel so I switched to reserve and was right at tee intersection closing in on me and started braking. Got down to about 20 k's in speed and started to tip her into the corner when the rear just ripped right round in front of me and down I went. Shocked the crap out of as I wasn't doing anything naughty and the road has brand new sticky asphalt on it. You guessed it, the fuel line broke and leaked petrol right onto the rear tyre. I can confirm that petrol and tyres equals disaster. Anyways, I picked myself and bike up and quickly put the stand down and examined my brand new 2 pack paintwork. I thought no way can it not be damaged. Yep, unscathed. The only damage was a scraped bar end and spool and snapped the gear lever knob off. I could not believe that was it. For me, a skinned knee and some cracked ribs. We both got off lightly.

Even though our new relationship has gotten off to a bad start, I'm looking forward to putting some miles on her. If it ever stops raining here I'll get some decent photo's up.

K6Thou
17-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Welcome along mate. I was watching that bike on fleabay a while ago, it was for sale in Bundy or there abouts if I remember correctly.... Where abouts in Qld are you ?

maggs
17-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Welcome along mate. I was watching that bike on fleabay a while ago, it was for sale in Bundy or there abouts if I remember correctly.... Where abouts in Qld are you ?

Thanks, your memory serves you well. It is that bike. I'm in Maryborough. It was the second time it was listed. The first time the buyer was a non-payer. No way I was letting this one get away for $520.00 without my name on it. Other than the poor cosmetic state she's a real dream. Runs sweet as and has no signs of any previous damage. Rare for a 16 year old bike. I've since bought an 83 GPZ 1100 A1 that is next on the build list. It's a bit of a basket case so it will take much more effort to get back running again.

K6Thou
17-07-2012, 09:20 PM
There are a couple of members up this way mate I'm in Rocky and the are also a couple of guys in gladstone as well.... $520 !!!! Nice buy. :cool:

maggs
17-07-2012, 09:26 PM
I hear there's a run to 1770 usually in November or there about. I'll keep me eyes out for that one and maybe come along and meet some of them.

Gix11
18-07-2012, 04:38 PM
You must know Tony or Jim right?

Welcome aboard mate, and what a great first post! Most people don't put that much effort into their intro.

You've got that little ZX7 looking great. Bad luck with the petrol leak and get off, but after the good luck of not having to change the cam chain I guess something had to balance everything out again!

Tony Nitrous
18-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Hi Maggs. Welcome.

The 1770 / Agnes Waters run was in Nov in the past.
Couple of folk have mentioned it so its looking good for this year.

Tony.

maggs
18-07-2012, 04:51 PM
You must know Tony or Jim right?

Welcome aboard mate, and what a great first post! Most people don't put that much effort into their intro.

You've got that little ZX7 looking great. Bad luck with the petrol leak and get off, but after the good luck of not having to change the cam chain I guess something had to balance everything out again!

Yeah, I think there's some fancy law of physics that regulates this shit. Don't know Tony or Jim. I've only been back in Oz for about 18 months after 10 years in Central America. Now that's a fun place to ride. Almost no law enforcement and even if they see you doing something bad, they can't catch you in a Toyota Yaris anyway and the chances of their radio working to call for backup is pretty slim too.

maggs
18-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Hi Maggs. Welcome.

The 1770 / Agnes Waters run was in Nov in the past.
Couple of folk have mentioned it so its looking good for this year.

Tony.

Seeing it's just a bit up the road from me, I can't see why I wouldn't go. my social calendar is cleared in anticipation.

JDinOZ
19-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Sweet intro man, nice bike too. Welcome :)

Bob
19-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Welcome mate. Glad to have another Queenslander!

maggs
19-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I'm impressed with the mateship on display here. Some of the other forums around have some real knobs. Cudos to the moderators for this great resource. When I start on the GPZ rebuild I'll probably need some advice on a few things. Anyway, i'll keep those questions till I start the build thread.

Grubb 7-11
21-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Welcome Maggs, I'm in Bundaberg and was following the zx7 on fleebay too. Glad to see it was put back on the road and not broken up for parts. My brother lives in Maryborough also and rides a sweet 1200 bandit fighter (96 red), you may have seen it around. Look forward to catching up one day.

maggs
21-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Welcome Maggs, I'm in Bundaberg and was following the zx7 on fleebay too. Glad to see it was put back on the road and not broken up for parts. My brother lives in Maryborough also and rides a sweet 1200 bandit fighter (96 red), you may have seen it around. Look forward to catching up one day.

hi grubb, the only bandit I know is owned by a guy that also owns a speed triple and another triumph. I haven't seen the bandit so don't know what colour it is. I live a few miles out of town so I don't see a lot of what's going on in town but I'll keep an eye out.

davo
21-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Welcome mate, i rode with a leaking oil cooler for years,being from a motorcross background i knew to throw the leg out when cornering,...now all the MotoGP guys are doing it. Bike's lookin good,it sure was 1 ugly unit when you bought it.Hope you got a good unit.Those little mushrooms growing on your lawn...i got them too and i've been experimenting.They seem quite harmless so far,but they sure have some kick when you get a good batch.And whats doing with the outdoor black plastic shed lookin thing.Surely you cant be running a Dungeon/Brothel in there,without Council approval anyway?

maggs
21-07-2012, 09:36 PM
hi Davo, I tried some shrooms of the gold variety (well we thought that's what they were) in my teens. We found a whole paddock full of them when exploring on our dirt bikes. We boiled em up and drank it. Tasted like shit and remember vomiting for a couple of days after. Did some dumb things around 14 yo and that was one of em. I'll stick with the stuff that burns instead.
The black plastic was my spray booth for the 2 pack job. I don't think I'll bother next time as it didn't stop the little bugs like I thought it would. I reckon it actually herded them together so they could make a full assault in numbers on my fresh black paint. And I almost suffocated while doing it. Gotta come up with a plan B for the next paint job on the GPZ.

Jockney Rebel
23-07-2012, 12:33 PM
hi mate like dan says theres a couple of us in gladdy [im on a speed triple ] and over half a ton too [in age at least ]get yer arse to this monto hotel thingy and well have a few jars ..

maggs
23-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Is there a date set for the Monto run?

EVLZX
26-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Welcome.
Nice work with the 750, always been one of my favourite bikes.

maggs
26-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Thanks Evlzx, I was a bit sceptical about having a 750 as I've always owned litre+ bikes. After riding it for a while now I can see why they were so popular as track bikes. They handle real nice and very smooth power delivery allows you to get on the gas early out of corners. It has way more capability than I do ability.

EVLZX
26-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Yeah I've never had a ZXR750 but I've had a couple of 6's and they were always fun, heaps flickable.
It's always good to keep ya on ur toes.

Shredhead
26-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Nice job , very tasty

ALBI
26-07-2012, 07:13 PM
welcome mate not bad for a cheepis from fleebay good score for the base of ur fighter!!

MattyDucati
26-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Welcome bloke, and nice ride

NINJAINOZ
21-10-2012, 03:24 PM
After lots of drama with the carbs, I finally got her running nicely.

Just curious what trouble you had with the carby's?

maggs
21-10-2012, 03:31 PM
The biggest problem was the slide diaphragm rubbers weren't sealing correctly. As they gain age they tend to warp a bit and if you're not careful during assembly they can pop out of the grooves while you put the cap on. Once I figured that was the problem it was easy to fix. I still have a very small dead spot just off idle so one of them is still not seated right. Next time I have the tank off I'll fix it.