PDA

View Full Version : X-mas Drag Pig

Redmohawk
11-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Had an Idea the other day, it hurt so I decided to start another bike build to stop the pain .

X-mas is comming up fast and with some luck the ASF gang will congregate at Heathcote park dragway again this year for a little X-mas fun. So I though in my usual manor I'd do something compleatly fucked and mess up several potentally functional machines and make something useless.

Hence the drag pig idea was born , I have a Kwaka 440cc 2 stroke motor just laying about (was told it had dead bottom end bearnings) played about with it a little months ago and twisting the drive coupling sure enough sounded like it was fubar. Pulled it down a little today and low behold the turkey that put it together last didnt replace the lock tags for the flywheel nut ! The little clunk coming from the crank has gone as soon at the fly wheel was pulled off. This little sucker makes about 30 odd hp in wet boat trim , They are also used in old skidoo's with slightly different carb/expantion pipe they kick out about 40 hp. With some work boats put out 70 hp with a single carb and expantion pipe.

Motor rotation is the right way for the gearbox setup I want to use and on the correct side ! But the intake faces rearward and exaust faces forward, I want this the other way around. Then I can make my own straight tuned pipes (much easyer to make a straight cone than one that has to twist around the motor to face backwards) and the carbs will have clean air shoved in. Looks like the motor is symetrical in all aspects concerning barrel mounting on block so with luck I can rotate barrels/head with minimal work.

ALBI
11-07-2012, 05:36 PM
hmmmm a rangie 3.9lt donk in a bike hmmmmmmmmmmmm

xa-mont
11-07-2012, 06:01 PM
i thought you were going to hook us up with another pig for the spit :P

Redmohawk
11-07-2012, 06:35 PM
hmmmm a rangie 3.9lt donk in a bike hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Na 29L V12 outa the Herc should be good 1,000,000 Fp of torque would make for a interesting bike

Redmohawk
11-07-2012, 06:39 PM
i thought you were going to hook us up with another pig for the spit :P

Could be done if someone had a much bigger spit, and the owner was ok with it. The food he sells would be important to his income at heathcote park. I think we caught him a little unaware the first time , If it goes ahead this year I'd bet the amount of people turning up would be significantly increased, And income for the owner could be much better.

But enough of the banter lol More Drag Pig stuff to come !

Redmohawk
11-07-2012, 07:21 PM
I wanted a CTV gearbox for this sucker "Just cause !" I was looking at big scooter V belt setups , thinking they would be better at handling the power than small stuff, and cheaper than US sorced Snowmobile bits. I found this site trolling the net, seems there are quite a few Nutters shoving snowmobile motors into all kinds of shit to go one way rapidly ! There is even a 2L 2 stroke tripple in there !

http://z9.invisionfree.com/Dragsters_FunnyCars/index.php

This Pig is being done on a very tight budget both time wise and cost , Went to visit a mate that owns a local wreckers. Talked shit with the mechanic and on the way out walked past some bits off a 150cc china based scooter, Hmmm that looks like a CTV I say mech sez yep they use the same design on heaps of shit from little 110cc scooters to the big fat 250cc 4 wheel buggys. How much for the snot in the corner ? $20 later I have a CTV thus

Has a centrifical clutch on the rear belt clutch plate, weighted rollers operate the front belt clutch. Gearing is 2.53 to 1 in low high is 1 to 1. The rear belt clutch is spring closed, and has a centrifical clutch to conect drive to the rear axle (I'll be yanking this off as I want a manual clutch so I can bring motor up to big revs then dump it at the lights) .

Now I needed a frame to shove all this shit into , something light easy to put together (steel heavy but easy to weld). Looked around the storage shed knowing there was some old bike in the corner somewhere. Yep YZ80 sitting where it was left long ago , light enough small frame might fit so drag it back to the misses place and shove the motor in for a trial fit !

Looks like this sucker is going to work ok. Tomorrow I'll pull the head and see if I can swing the head/barrels around the other way so a set of maybe 36mm carbs can face front , and I'll smash out a set of straight tuned pipes to fart out all its ringadingding out the back.

slingy88
11-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Fecking Awesomely Insane. Luv IT!!

Redmohawk
11-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Just did a bit of a brush up on porting 2 strokers , what a read ! The old girl is piston ported, so I'm going to strap a set of reed cages to her and open up the intake ports to 360 deg to help the good stuff get in. While she is apart I'll wack a pair of extra ports up off the intake port for extra scavanging.

The exhast ports will get a tickle about 3mm more and a little widening should do the trick, from what I've digested through the written word on paper n the net that should bring the motor up to around the 65 hp to 70 hp mark with a set of 38 to 40 mm carbs and some scratch built expansion pipes .

A 40 hp sniff of nos and I think some race fuel to help things along. A ET calculator for drag racing (not really that accurate for cars let alone bikes) has a 360 pound bike/rider combo at 100 flywheel Hp 17% loss for gearbox at an ET of 8.9 sec and 152 mph lol If I do a 12 I'd be chuffed ! So far the bike owes me $120.

I weighed the motor today it tops out at 20.5 kg as it is in the photo I'd guess the carbs/reed block will be another Kg and the expansion pipes I'll make out of the thinest stainless I dare so say another 8 kg for them. No idea on the weight of the bike but I picked it up with the motor in it quite easy I'd be guessing maybe 60 kg in the photo.

Got some USD forks off a pitbike to drop the front hight and will weld up a tube ridgid rear to bring the rear tyre back another foot or so. I'm aiming for a sub 100kg bike wet and ready to race.

Weaselman
12-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Should chop the frame and lower it so looks like the ol slingshots the used to run in the 70's

Redmohawk
12-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Weasel your thinking on the right path bloke, Went to steel supply joint today ordered so seamless cold drawn in 21mm (same as main frame size) for the rear end. I had a set of USD forks off a pitbike out at the farm dragged them over here to discover they're the same length as the original forks and alot heavyer.

So I think I'll stick with what I've got Going to cut the head and give it a little more rake, trim the frame while I'm at it to get it Lowwwwwww. Pulled the donk down today , the poor fucker must have been run though some sand prob a river by the looks of it.

Yep water passages were a little full. From the looks of it the motor injested something hard (prob the choke screw common prob with these fuckers) the head has a few marks on it from stamping something around a little. Nothing that will stop it going but it will need a little clean up. The intake ports have been played with a little in the past and the barrels have been re sleeved since (looks like a little port/manifold matching).

I'll scratch about another 4mm out of the exhaust port to get a little more bang outa the girl, rotate the barrels 180 deg so the exhaust ports face the rear and I can make a set of tuned pipes straigh out the back. Timed the ports with a home made deg wheel today and sorted the port plan in my head, then suffed around with a tuned pipe design program for a bit.

As you can see from the overhead photos rotating the barrels 180 deg will make the ports slightly out of alignment mostly on the outsides of the block. So I'll make a "Special" base gasket with some epoxy Ali putty to fill and shape the ports and prevent leaks.

K6Thou
12-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Damn you !!!! I struggle finding the time to build one bike and here you are starting your 27th build lol....
Should be sweet when its done man, hats off to you for thinking outside the square.

Redmohawk
12-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Got to keep busy to keep the voices happy, A little scratching through the memory bank to remember how to turn a flat sheet of something into a cone and here we go for a practice run.

Will take a better photo tomorrow with motor and some light on the situation. Did I pass cardboard 101 ?

Redmohawk
13-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Well last day off of my holidays so thought a little more on the Pig was in order 45 deg rake and 22 cm trail now !18671868

Don't you just love my hillbilly frame jig , funny thing is it worked great .

Large
14-07-2012, 08:24 AM
Pulse jet!

Redmohawk
14-07-2012, 10:15 AM
Takeoff is to sluggish Large, I'm about half way through machining up the head for the pulse jet (you have a good memory !). I think I'll have this bike under 100kg if all goes well more like 80 kg wet, for a combined rider/bike weight around 360 pounds and 100 hp should be more fun than the jet .

Was thinking BMX wheels and modded frame for the Pulse (much lighter) , I gave Ivan a copy of the plans maybe he will have one done in time for X-mas party (I doubt I'll have my jet finished by Nov).

BANDITROD
14-07-2012, 11:43 PM
is it finished yet

Redmohawk
15-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Will take the barrels to work tomorrow to pull a broken bolt and make a pattern for the base gasket (will make one from anealed copper for the base gasket) and need to use the pulse mig to weld up a few spots on the barrel before I get the die grinder out and sort the porting. Might have to make myself a 90 deg porting tool (die grinder with a very short 90 deg snout is needed to get into the transfer ports and they need cleaning up real bad) will see if I can get a photo of the problem with the stock barrel on this jigger this arvo.

Might re trim the seat this arvo.

Tony Nitrous
15-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Rrrrrrrring-ding-ding-ding......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpoEjY7KDdo&feature=plcp

or............

http://aaenperformance.com/V4_racing_engine.asp

Redmohawk
15-07-2012, 08:34 PM
A 1L V4 pumping out 270 hp stock would be nice, but if you have to ask how much you cant afford !

Mind you a propper setup bike with one of those suckers running a good shot of nos running under 450 pounds would be a 7 sec contender at trap speeds around 200 mph ! Fucking quick shit !

Redmohawk
15-07-2012, 09:29 PM
If you look at this photo you can see the transfer ports in the sleeve are considerably mismatched , getting in there will be a little tricky to do it right. Might cobble up a very short 90 deg drive for the die grinder so I can get in there and have a little play. 1889

Redmohawk
16-07-2012, 06:54 PM

Did the seat in some table protector foam to see how it would come out.

ozzy1100
16-07-2012, 08:02 PM
red mate when did u find some crew tube if i may ask
a while ago i looked around for some 25 and 32 1.5 wall crew or dom tube as i didnt want the hassel
and cost of crmo and came up empty like my bank acc....

Redmohawk
16-07-2012, 10:14 PM
Local steel merchant has a sorce , will chase up where its comming from he said about 2 weeks a week ago. When I pick it up i'll ask. Min order for local was a 6 m length in 20mm it only comes in 2.5 mm , but I want it to match the rest of the frame visually more than anything.

Would have liked to use reynolds 631 or even better 853 (weld it with a mig or tig without preheat or cooldown) but this is just a cheapy for some fun.

latheboy
17-07-2012, 12:24 PM
I'm too busy to build the pulse jet just yet... Projects are all on hold (kinda).. gearing up for a holiday ... geddy up

Are you going to run it on av gas?

Redmohawk
17-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Will run Hi po racing fool prob c16 , thought about meth n a dash of nitro but its just to much fucking about with everything carbs need to be modded heaps tuned pipes need to be built to suit (different length and tapers).

I can get C16 from Violet town easy enough, 20 L drum should last a few runs so wont need heaps.

No Pulse Jet yet eh ? Hmmm 4 bike projects on the go, a car , a ute, starting up a new business whilst stripping a another I just bought , and building a extra bedroom outa a carport extention on the side of my partners shed. On top of four 12 hour days a week at work, pfft what a little thing extra like a pulse jet powered jet bike in about 4 months.

Fuck it I'll try to get that done as well before the X-mas party , even if I just finish off the engine and fire the sucker up in the back of the ute n deafen all you silly fuckers standing to close it would be worth the effort !

Redmohawk
01-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Did a bit of poking about at work today with the welder
Before welding.
After , sorry the photos are crap got a new phone and the camera is worse than my old one, doesnt seem to focus correctly.
As you can see in the third photo I've added some weld to the outside of the barrels to stop the crankcase being open the the air when I rotate the barrel 180 deg . I've also filled the start of the transfer port on the opposite side, a little work with the die grinder will smooth things out a little later (prob on the weekend)
Picked up a front wheel today along with some reed valves , will make a reed box/adapter to bolt them up to the motor.

Redmohawk
01-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Also picked up some extra reed valves for the pulse jet today and found one of those wide rear tyred dragster pushbikes, might get it finished before the drags with luck.

Thinking carbs are far to easy for this beast , might have a bash at an electronic version of mechanical injection. Sort of pore mans electronic fuel injection and run Meth instead of petrol based fuel atm. That way I can run two maps one for meth and another for petrol , so I could run meth to race then once the day is over switch fuel tanks and run petrol though the motor to clean out meth at the end of the day, or to just to putt putt about.

Redmohawk
02-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Fucked about at work today (for 6 hours) and a reed box emerged at the end of it, funny how such a little box took so long to make.
Still got to fill it with resin and "match port" it. Now on the hunt for a pair of tb's around 40mm .

Fuck that second photo is blurry . New phone is crap went back to the old one, seems the old one doesnt work to well when you've had half a bottle of turkey lol

Redmohawk
03-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Took a few more photos of the reed box on the barrels today

Misses has given me the weekend to play in the shed so might get a bit done to the pig , seamless tube came in today ($160 for 6m talk about ripped off lol).

Designed the tuned pipes with consultation from 2 stroke guru, and then puter spat out the specs, even printed the pattern so everything was mm perfect, then used a black marker to set out, followed by chopping the crap outa all that smart stuff with a 5 inch grinder.

This has been draging some time away from the bikes atm

Redmohawk
06-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Rolled the pipes today , had to do most of it by hand n hammer as the roller at work doesnt go tighter than about 70mm. Tacked a few big bits with the mig but the whole kaboodle will have to be tig welded at home 0.8 mm is no fun with 1.2 mm wire and a big mig. Had to roll the end pipes by hand as there about 20mm dia by 300 mm long.

ozzy1100
07-08-2012, 05:16 PM
that would have been a arse fuck red
i know last time i tried to do shit like that by hand i spent money on a 300 wide rollor off ebay cause it was shiiiiiiittttt work

Redmohawk
07-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Its amazing what you can do with a vice long bit of 18mm bar and a ball peen hammer mate.

ozzy1100
07-08-2012, 09:52 PM
to true lol

oldskool
07-08-2012, 10:53 PM
Good work mate lookin good.

Redmohawk
08-08-2012, 05:56 AM
Photo makes em look prittyer than they are mate , but once I tig the sucker up I'll give then a tweek. Prob weld up the ends and fill them with oil pump then a little with a porta power (with luck I wont blow the fuckers at the seams)

Redmohawk
10-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Got stuck into the shed today (a whole auto elec business stuffed into a single car shed atm) you couldnt walk into the shed without opening both doors and then you had to pick where you tip toed to get around all the storage boxes junk bike frames etc etc. One of the things I got with the business was a little bench lathe, finally on the bench (instead of a wheel barrow).

Now that I have a shed floor again its time to stretch the sub frame a foot or two, and make up the ridgid rear. I now have the room to do some tig welding on the expansion pipes. Going to go get a tig torch tomorrow and setup the arc welder as a scratch tig, didnt want to have to spend money on bottle rent for a bottle of CO2 so might rig a regulator up to a sodastreem drink maker CO2 bottle and see how that goes.

While I was cleaning the shed I gave the induction for the Pig some thought , I've got a set of fuel injectors and TB off a VP comadore stitting around here along with a few small injection fuel pumps. I'm thinking I'll weld up a mount for the VP TB to feed both cyls and run a pair of Injectors into each cyl. Build a circuit to drive the injectors based mostly on rpm (just like a Hilborn mechanical injection setup) And use the TPS on the TB to set an idle pulse rate.

The bonus with this setup is if I make one set of injectors switchable (so I can turn them off and leave one injector feeding each cyl) I should be able to run A meth nitro mix for racing then drain tank and run a petrol chaser to flush lines and motor before storage. With the same tune as the meth mix will need to be run at about 6/1 and petrol at 12/1 dropping one pair of injectors will be close to halving the feed rate.