PDA

View Full Version : rr location?

xa-mont
10-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Would under the passenger seat be an alright location for my rr? It used to be inside the side of the rear fairing so it had little airflow before, and i figure if i mount it on a bit of alloy it should heat sink it to the subframe a bit

Tony Nitrous
10-07-2012, 05:37 PM
I've had mixed reports on this,
some stuff like Kat's and B-Kings have them mounted
where they get plenty of air-flow. I've always tried to
do the same. Some folk'll tell you its not that vital.

Redmohawk
10-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Go for a ride with it wrapped in a rag stop and rip off rag see how hot it is.

Weaselman
10-07-2012, 07:04 PM
I dont see why it would be a problem. Its not a Honda. Their RR's fuck out when you touch them. And it wont be as hot as you think in there as it doesnt have a pipe routed under the seat.

If you like get some of that sticky back heat shielding and stick it under the RR when you mount it

xa-mont
10-07-2012, 08:06 PM
I ran it up and took it for a ride the other day with it jammed under the front seat along with the battery and all the other wiring and it got pretty hot, but it had no air around it and the battery was pretty low so i dunno if that makes it hotter?

I might just put it in the rear seat bit and see how it goes. Might even make a seat cowl with some venting one day

Redmohawk
10-07-2012, 09:28 PM
If the battery is low it shouldnt run as hot as when its full. The reg disipates energy that would be used to charge the battery when battery full as heat. Turning on the lights can draw more power and technically cause more heat production through losses in the diodes. A duct somewhere to direct air flow over it if your going to stuff it into a cowl might be a good option, Ali is a great heat conductor you can buy heat transpher paste (its white silicone based grease jacar electornics sell it) it will help a great deal in shifting the heat into the Ali.

xa-mont
11-07-2012, 07:11 AM
yeah i have some good silver thermal paste at home that will work to transfer some of the heat to the ally. I figure it must be ok in there because it was in the side of my old rear fairing and there was zero airflow into there, just a bit of open space and it was mounted (by cable tie) onto the ally subframe. I did about 7k km's with it like that so it must be alright in such a situation.