PDA

View Full Version : Running a wet clutch dry ?

Redmohawk
09-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Ok peeps question time , Little project on the go (planning stage even though I have 60% of the bits already). Need to setup a clutch for this little monster. Its going to be a mish mash of bits n bobs to go down the 1/4 at probably a very slow rate of knots.

What I'm looking for is a common clutch (prob be a suzuki 600 or 750 clutch) mounted on its own lay shaft and running dry. Reason for running dry , no housing to bother with mostly (got to finish this sucker before november and working 12 to 14 hour days monday to thursday isnt going to help) and better holding force running it dry.

Will be used down the 1/4 only on launch with somewhere around 80 to 100 hp at 7000 rpm launches (If I have the balls)

I know I can get dry clutch plates from bikes like some of the 2 stroke quads etc , but would the stock wet clutch plates live long enough with this abuse to do 10 to 15 odd passes ? Its all being done to a very tight budget so if I can use a set of stock wet clutch plates all the better. Even if I have to bring along a spare set for just in case it wil be cheaper than lashing out on dry plate from the prices I've seen so far.

Weaselman
10-07-2012, 07:08 PM
I dont see why it wouldnt work. Though it would wear the shit out of your clutch basket.
Ducatis clutches never lasted very long and replacing the basket was a common thing because the plate used to cut into the basket really badly.

Would you need to change the bearing behind it though as it would be set up to with oil? You'd have to press in a sealed unit?

Also is it a seperate gearbox? (Old triumph/harley style?) or is it a jap engine?

Hillsy
10-07-2012, 08:54 PM
I'm thinking the metal plates will warp pretty quick and the clutch will either drag like fuck or be a lightswitch affair.

Just guessing though - I could be totally wrong.

Redmohawk
10-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Jap engine but not from a bike , 440cc 2 stroke no gearbox/clutch etc. Going to mount a front sprocket on the motor crank and bolt a rear sprocket onto the clutch (after I remove the original drive cog). Clutch will be mounted on a hollow layshaft just like in the bike box it came off so I can run a cable opperated clutch and pin through hollow layshaft. Leaving clutch open and easy access for changes/replacement plates etc.

Going to run a modifed CVT gearbox. So I can vary the overall gearing with the chain/sprockets between motor and clutch. Plan is for a air operated limiter on clutch closing travel. So I can bring bike motor up to peak power/revs dump clutch and limiter will slip clutch a pre determend amount (just like the pro's do) at launch then tighted up. CVT will prob handel the power input, total bike weight should come out about half of the scooter, about twice the power in (ruff good estimates).

CVT will need tuning but thats a set of roller weights and a spring.

I figured I'd get some serious wear but with most dry clutches of similar power handeling being 5 plate and the wet I'll use is a 7 and good for 80 odd hp wet. Guess I'll just suck n see eh.

Redmohawk
10-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Why do you say that Hillsy ? There are a few 2 strokers about like bansee's etc that use a dry clutch with the same setup mechanically to a wet just with different compound pads on clutch plates. I know there pritty much used as on or off on the type of bike, But having ridden a few i know they can be slipped at least a little.

I know the whole idea of being bathed in oil is to cool plus wash away dust , but this sucker is only going to be slipped for say .5 of a second once a run for maybe 10 runs in a day.

Hillsy
11-07-2012, 01:18 PM
I know the whole idea of being bathed in oil is to cool plus wash away dust

That's why I said what I said.

And like I also said - I'm just guessing.

Suck it and see mate - you're in uncharted territory.

Redmohawk
11-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Had a chat with a local "cart" builder in the area today , seems the clutch compounds are pritty much the same for alot of dry and wet systems but the steel plates have a different finish on them. So will give it a bash and see what happens. Build thread going up for this monster tonight.

ALBI
11-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Ok peeps question time , Little project on the go (planning stage even though I have 60% of the bits already). Need to setup a clutch for this little monster. Its going to be a mish mash of bits n bobs to go down the 1/4 at probably a very slow rate of knots.

What I'm looking for is a common clutch (prob be a suzuki 600 or 750 clutch) mounted on its own lay shaft and running dry. Reason for running dry , no housing to bother with mostly (got to finish this sucker before november and working 12 to 14 hour days monday to thursday isnt going to help) and better holding force running it dry.

Will be used down the 1/4 only on launch with somewhere around 80 to 100 hp at 7000 rpm launches (If I have the balls)

I know I can get dry clutch plates from bikes like some of the 2 stroke quads etc , but would the stock wet clutch plates live long enough with this abuse to do 10 to 15 odd passes ? Its all being done to a very tight budget so if I can use a set of stock wet clutch plates all the better. Even if I have to bring along a spare set for just in case it wil be cheaper than lashing out on dry plate from the prices I've seen so far.
give it a go !! i know that most prostockers run no oil in front shocks and no grease in wheel brgs to eliminate drag thay just replace every meating ,so i spose you could make a housing for its self so you can prelube ??like its own oil bath ??

Redmohawk
11-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Na Just going to leave it open to the world and dry , no lube means no chance of smashing the case and dumping oil on the track, So if I bin it when at heathcote , you can just scrape me up and keep on racing !

See Drag Pig thread for more info crap on this sucker !