PDA

View Full Version : turbo scavenge pumps

ljb729
26-11-2007, 10:17 PM
hi there everyone,just a question what do the turbo guys use to return oil from a turbo that is mounted low on the front of a bike?
i know standard drain back ,like on the old turbo zed i had just ran into the clutch cover area.(mr turbo)and i know that if the oil dosent drain back it fills up the bearing housing and into the inlet and exhaust,very smoky.
many thanks
ljb729

Gix11
27-11-2007, 10:25 AM
Ben or Booster will know exactly what mate.

I'll move this post to the info section.

Docktor
27-11-2007, 01:40 PM
VDO make a scavenge pump that ya can buy from Bursons but it runs in at about 300 bucks so tell em ya want trade...

ozkat
27-11-2007, 01:55 PM
A mate of mine turboed a GSXR a few years ago and used a diff oilcooler pump from a Porsche and it was only a couple of hundred new from the Porsche dealer. If it can handle gear oil in a diff i reckon it will handle anything. Also S&R Pro use scavenge pumps on their turbo busas, they would proberly sell you one.

EXBEN
27-11-2007, 03:15 PM
From what I've been told the Porsche diff pump is the VDO pump.
It's also avaliable from Rocket Industries( Rocket part# 5R-Pump).
Mr Turbo does a cheaper one (about $100 ) but it's noisy & I'm told its not that reliable.

Booster
27-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Seen the vdo pumps fail on 2 bikes doing a long trip for the GP, don't know why exactly, otherwise i have found them fairly reliable, usually electrical faults rather than a pump fault causing probs.

Here's another idea
http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=115141.0

EXBEN
28-11-2007, 08:23 AM
Yeah I have also heard of a VDO one failing although I've never had a problem with mine.
I took the filter basket out of the inlet side cause I reckon it causes too much restriction into the pump, I fugure if you need to filter out something big enough to stop the pump then you've got other things to worry about.;)

Deano
28-11-2007, 04:34 PM
cheers guys

i was curious about this set up aswell.

its off to bursons i go.

NakedTurboBusa
28-11-2007, 09:39 PM
if the turbo is mounted low!!!!!!!!! below the oil line of the engine, an oil pump will be needed, but will not stop smoking..........

cause, after use the oil drains through to the low point... the bearings ( as stated) and will blow smoke on next start up for a few minutes... This happened to me for a while...

If the turbo is low!! you will need 'presure sensitive ( ball and spring) valve' on the oil line into the turbo...

this hopfully, will do the trick...

cheers

Pete

Booster
28-11-2007, 10:19 PM
I got caught on that one with my first turbo too , actually swapped out turbo's trying to find out why it still smoked , 1/8 checkvalve inline also fixed mine ,
sump like pictured in the link helps as any drainback or weep passed the checkvalve has somewhere to go.