PDA

View Full Version : NOS Systems

Weaselman
05-07-2012, 01:43 PM
G'day fellas

Can anyone recommend me a company to supply me with a complete DRY NOS SYSTEM for my Z1000. Also will I need to remap the F.I.? Im only looking at running a 50hp hit max.

Anyone who does bike kits and can supply mounting brackets please.

Actually 20hp to 25 is more in the ball park

BANDITROD
05-07-2012, 01:50 PM
try steve from rated r weasel or ebay

Tony Nitrous
05-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Dry ?

No thanks.

Weaselman
05-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Dry ?

No thanks.

Was that a smartarse comment or is there something I should know Tony?

And I had a look on Ebay Rod and it was pretty slim pickings. Only one bloke was flogging a kit and it was wet.
Being F.I. I dont see the need to a secondary fuel pump and the crap that goes with it

BANDITROD
05-07-2012, 01:56 PM
well send steve at rated r an email mate and tell him you are from asf

Tony Nitrous
05-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Never been a fan of dry systems. Very limited.
I suppose if its what your after its OK.
A wet system has a LOT more to offer and can
be moved on or upgraded to almost unlimited potential.

You have to home the extra solenoids, lines, foggers
and sometimes the fuel pump but its still cheap easy ponys.

I'll admit i've never owned a dry system but i've played with a
couple and wasnt real impressed. Folk seem to like the easy option.
(and normaly go for the useless little skinny bottles too)

Maybe im biased because they dont appeal to me.
I'll be doing another sometime, but wet-60 with at least a 2lb
bottle would be my choice.

Take this as just opinion, not fact Mate.

ALBI
05-07-2012, 02:03 PM
oz nos in albian park
his systems are fully servicable
made in aust by aussies and he uses his own products
would not use anything else

Weaselman
05-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Thanks for that mate.

I've had wet systems before but on my Z1000 I dont have much room to work with and im not going for monster power.
A turbo will cover that when the Tax comes in lol.

Im just after a little more punch without having to go nuts remapping and pluming in extra fueling

Tony Nitrous
05-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Thanks for that Albi.

Just googled them.

http://www.ozrace.com/

...and their bike kits come with 2lb bottles too.
Will see how their spec's and prices compare to the NOS / Holley kits.

stiffsimon
05-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Not sure how local you want to keep your purchase but for me these lot are the people I'd be sending my $$'s to.

http://www.noswizard.com/index.php/bike-nitrous-kits-1.html

Weaselman
05-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Thats a good point you made me think of Simon. Direct or Airbox system?

Weaselman
05-07-2012, 02:22 PM
http://www.noswizard.com/index.php/bike-nitrous-kits-1/sb50-4-cyl-bike-nitrous-kit-868.html

Now that looks good

Tony Nitrous
05-07-2012, 02:25 PM
http://www.noswizard.com/index.php/bike-nitrous-kits-1.html

I looked at those when I lived in the UK but ended up using BigCC and PDQ
for NOS/Holley kits. My logic was my mates and racers at the drags were
almost all using the same brand, I could swap jet, repair lines, get refills
etc etc and everything was compatable.

I've spoken to the guy at Wizard of nos and he is a good bloke,
very helpful.

Weaselman
05-07-2012, 02:26 PM
im not dragging my bike. Its more for shits and giggles. And the Airbox system is looking like the ticket for what im after with a 50hp hit and no remapping required.

BANDITROD
05-07-2012, 02:35 PM
i forgot i got my bandit kit from repco here and it only cost me about $550 and that was an edelbrock kit

Weaselman
05-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Repco? Really?

Got details on the kit?
I looked up edlebrock and they only do kits for 'Sports Compacts' Is that what yours was for and is it an intake kit or direct injection?

Im leaning towards the airbox kit because I can hide it from the fun police

BANDITROD
05-07-2012, 02:38 PM
yep they still deal with rocket and all the go fast joints mate

Weaselman
05-07-2012, 03:21 PM
NX Express does a system too

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/power_sports/product-details.php?id=2

Tony Nitrous
05-07-2012, 03:39 PM

If you cant find room for a fuel pump/Fuel solenoid
and you'd like to hide the kit, serious question......
where's the bottle going to go ?
IMO the skinny bottles are pretty useless.

Tony Nitrous
05-07-2012, 03:42 PM
... another version of what your talking about...

http://www.outlawfabshop.com/photo_5.html

..and I alway knew Busa's were butt ugly for a reason.
Kit to fit a 2lb bottle under a stock single seat hump.
http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/5848/2lbbus.jpg

BANDITROD
05-07-2012, 04:00 PM
mine was a dry shot airbox kit to suit a harley lol
Repco? Really?

Got details on the kit?
I looked up edlebrock and they only do kits for 'Sports Compacts' Is that what yours was for and is it an intake kit or direct injection?

Weaselman
05-07-2012, 04:24 PM
NX express do a dryshot airbox kit to suit 4Cy F.I. bikes pretty cheap. 20hp at the wheel with no secondary fueling. But they wont go any higher than 20hp without extra fueling.

Hagarr
05-07-2012, 05:04 PM
G'day fellas

Can anyone recommend me a company to supply me with a complete DRY NOS SYSTEM for my Z1000. Also will I need to remap the F.I.? Im only looking at running a 50hp hit max.

Anyone who does bike kits and can supply mounting brackets please.

Actually 20hp to 25 is more in the ball park

I've just purchased a wet system off this guy Morrie at Horsepower in a Box in S.A. http://www.holley.com/03008NOS.asp the system is a Holley but I'm using ECU Editor to control so won't need a lot of the microswitches and stuff.

I eventually went to a local guy as I had been burnt with Orient Express on an Exhaust System I purchased for the gixxer and although they were sympathetic to my cause nothing could reaLLY BE DONE WITHOUT A SHITLOAD OF FREIGHT COSTS SO i THOUGHT i'D (OOPS) go local, seemed an OK guy , time will tell.

paid around a grand for the kit!

Tony Nitrous
05-07-2012, 05:20 PM
http://www.holley.com/03008NOS.asp

I've used that system. Very happy with it.
Its probably what i'll get again.

Only drama's I had was on my kit the original lines that came
with it were small bore plastic. Worked great when new but over
time and a lot of use the Nitrous turned the lines brittle. Had
it happen a couple of times. I just re-did them with new but I've
seen other use braided lines.

Great kit, everything you need and good instructions.

Only thing I did different was as I was going to thread the foggers
straight into the Bandit inlet rubbers (they are quite thick) I made
some wooden plugs to go inside them and pre-drilled them. Threading
the foggers into a rubber manifold isnt ideal but it worked fine.

Good purchase there Hagarr.

Weaselman
05-07-2012, 05:36 PM
http://www.nitrousexpress.com/power_sports/product-details.php?id=2

20hp kit. Good starting point for a bit less than $450 with the current exchange rate

Redmohawk
05-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Going in dry wont do your girl any good without a little more liquid mate, even "only" 20 hp will lean the old girl out more than you will like (even when the cool nos is dropping intake temps and puters richen things to compensate) . Do it right and Nos is the king of cheap HP do it wrong and a hole in a piston (ring lands copping a hammering etc) makes for an unhappy Weasel .

A dry system can be modded into a cheap wet system by adding a plumbed in extra injector fed off the main fuel line switched in with the nos , a in line fuel pressure reg can be used to drop supply pressure to it to balance out mixture. If you want a little more fancy a separate pulse circuit to drive the injector is easy (I can smash you one out for about $15 in bits) has a 10 turn pot on it you just twist till you get the fuel you want.

Easy hide system would be an extra injector fed from current fuel rail, pulsed by separate circuit with nos pumped over outlet of fuel to improve atomisation into airbox forward of air cleaner. And offers the option of variable power with a simple tune.

Weaselman
05-07-2012, 08:05 PM
http://www.noswizard.com/index.php/bike-nitrous-kits-1/sb50-4-cyl-bike-nitrous-kit-868.html

Hows that look to you Red?

BANDITROD
05-07-2012, 08:14 PM
thats the kit you want mate

Tony Nitrous
05-07-2012, 08:27 PM
4 cylinder wet kit,
but no mention of a fuel pump or gravity feed
or whether its to suit carb'd or injected models ?

I take it if your putting it on an injected bike you'd
t-into the preasurised feed, but what if you were
sticking on something more Old Skool ?

Surely gravity feed fuel isnt going to match 800psi nitrous ?

EDIT: I wonder if the "Pulsoid"s in the kit work as
some sort of pump / regulator as well as being a solenoid ?

Weaselman
05-07-2012, 08:38 PM
4 cylinder wet kit,
but no mention of a fuel pump or gravity feed
or whether its to suit carb'd or injected models ?

I take it if your putting it on an injected bike you'd
t-into the preasurised feed, but what if you were
sticking on something more Old Skool ?

Surely gravity feed fuel isnt going to match 800psi nitrous ?

EDIT: I wonder if the "Pulsoid"s in the kit work as
some sort of pump / regulator as well as being a solenoid ?

That kit is ment to piggyback its fuel feed off the fuel pump. Its ment for injected bikes. Im in contact with the company and they are advising me what the best kit is for my application.
Watch this space.

P.S. Wizards of NOS got back to me within the arvo which is good for a company in England.

Redmohawk
05-07-2012, 08:51 PM

The unique concept behind the Street-Blaster 50 makes it the simplest yet most effective system on the market as it’s specifically designed for motorcycles which have retained their original air box. The distinctive feature of the Street-Blaster 50 is it’s single nitrous injector, which when mounted in the air box dilutes the initial flow of nitrous to the engine to produce a smoother transition in power delivery, than any other system. Independent tests have proven that when adding up to 50bhp, a Street-Blaster 50 will out perform any other direct port kit, whilst being far more user friendly.
Hows that look to you Red?

Blue highlight Your trying to add power by increasing oxygen through Nos injection so why would you want to dilute the shit your shoving in there in the first place ?

Answer you DONT but it will assist in mixing it with the air (pre indevidual cyl) to give a better mix to ALL cyl is a good idea, and reduce intake air temp as your shoving the nos into the airbox tricking puter into slightly enritching fuel mix potentialy stopping engine lean condition. (better to switch a resistor into the circuit on your air intake sensor when NOS is turned on More effective and predictable)

Red highlight , Maybe but I really doubt it (def easyer to fit) and might be better than a dry direct port system without added fuel but compared to a wet direct port injection runner system its dog shit even at less than 50 hp.

To be honast mate I'd avoid a air box setup all together and same with a dry unit , I'd go wet direct port system.

But your after easy cheap simple and hidden to boot. So a dry airbox system with at the minimum a switched resistor on your intake air temp sensor to help richen the mix (cheap n effective) But stay below any more than 20 hp gain and check your plugs often for signs of detonation/lean burn mate. The units are all pritty much the same its just a bottle solinoid and injector with something to meter the nos (usally a jet like a main jet in a carb)

Ignore anything you get in a kit that sez bolt on and ride , Hunt down a wide band oxy sensor (yella is up your way and might be able to assist with something maybe) or stick it on a dyno and do a power run without and then with to make sure its not leaning out to much. Nos is the best thing this side of a full service blow job for an instant smile but just like that blow job there are big teath right next to all that fun if she turns on you.

I turned a 500 2 smoker into a ball of molten ali in 5 sec, on a power run sideways at the speedway when the fuel pump for the Nos system cavitated (pickup on wrong side of tank and fuel low) 80 hp of nos with no extra fuel and 5 sec later lockup big mess. Did lift the front well there for a bit though lol Now I really miss the titan motor .

Tony Nitrous
05-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Blue highlight Your trying to add power by increasing oxygen through Nos injection so why would you want to dilute the shit your shoving in there in the first place ?

I think they mean it softens the inital blow and comes in softer ?
I had a bike that could take a progressive 50 hit but the clutch
would let go if fed it fast and hard. I think he's saying feeding
it into the airbox works like a poor mans progressive system ?

I used to arm the system, but leave the bottle turned off, get
it a run and hit the button, should chuck in enough fuel to try
and flood the motor. Give it a run to clear it out, then turn on
the gas. At least i knew I was getting fuel and less likely to get
a melt down.

Buy some digi kitchen scales. I found weighing the bottle a lot
better than trying to guess how much is in there. Mine are flat
and fit in a jacket or rucksack.

Dont trust anyone using PTFE/Plumbers tape to seal their gear.
I had drama's untill I found my nos filter blocked from the guy
doing my refills and the drags.

Tony Nitrous
05-07-2012, 09:16 PM
Redmohawk, if you get a few minutes spare,
i'd be interested to hear you opinion on some of this info
on budget / DIY / custom build set up's....

http://www.nitrous.info/nitrous-kit-information.htm

Redmohawk
05-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Yeah good tip PTFE will go to shit with nos and make a crappy mess.

And your spot on tony , after re reading that . Poor mans progressive is prob a good way to discribe it.

I doubt a 20 hit will make your clutch slip but it will void any factory warrenty lol

Redmohawk
05-07-2012, 10:05 PM
Tony, Burgerman is a crazy fucker ! He was my first real intro into a good Nos system, the first was a NOS brand 4 barrel bolt down plate with 75hp jets on a 253 powered HQ wagon. His home made stuff was how I learnt to make my first system and avoid paying through the nose for pritty basic stuff.

I'd really love to get into some proper progesive stuff one day (not the crap people are flogging atm) , using 2 sets of injectors one efi for fuel and another very high pressure unit for liquid N2 (liquid lpg injectors would prob do fine at higher Nos pressures, I played with liquid lpg injection using petrol injectors about 10 years back and they were ok) Infinitly variable from say 4 hp to what ever rings your bell. Computer controlled you could soft start and ramp up gentle in the lower gears and when your up a bit and less prone to lifting the front or breaking into nuts wheelspin increase the ramp rate. A stock 1100 gsxr motor would be a real weapon with a controllable 300hp at the back wheel when you want it on the strip !

I just bought a set of valves off ebay that are not the same as what he uses ,are similar but brass and I was going to do a little play time in a few weeks when they arive. I'll post up the results if they turn out ok. Will involve shiming down the port just as he does with soldered in brass tube the seals are the correct type already so wont need changing. Hoping they will be ok for about 40hp each (want a pair for 80hp into a 400cc 2 stroke twin I have a fun project for) Only issue might be the valves I bought only come in 12 volt and he uses 6 volt coils run at 12 volt to increase lift force , I'm going for a smaller port dia so should not be such an issue (same pressure less area = easyer to lift seal)

His ideas on jetting and they're position have merrit , The first system I built from scratch used his his valve design (bought them years ago I got 20 sent over at $14 aus each at the time) But have well run out about 5 years back hence trying the brass units now. I have always used Nylon air hose for both high and lower pressure side without issue , though I don't recomend it on a road going car/bike. (not ment for high pressure at 1500 psi)