PDA

View Full Version : home and contents this year....

fimpBIKES
26-06-2012, 08:41 PM
just got our renewal notice for the home and contents
sure, we live in a 1 in 100 year floodzone (but since the last floods in the 1950's levi-banks have been redone heeeeaps higher) so we expect to pay a bit more than the average place for insurance

but GIO have come back this year with DOUBLE our previous price of $1400 to $2800 a fuckin year!!!!
naturally we asked them to justify themselves since there havent been ANY flooding in the region over the last twelve months
they cant so we told em to shove it @$#%^&$%#^*&$%($&*#&^se's

i'd say they are trying to cover the costs from the qld floods last year (a thousand k's away...)
anyone else getting the same bullshit this year?

anyone in a floodzone got a better insurer?

cunts...

K6Thou
26-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Mate when it flooded here in Rocky last time people were ringing insurance companies, wanting cover even if they didn't live in the 1 in a hundred year area and were refused due to the post code they gave them.......

sharky
26-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Buy a house on top of a hill......

K6Thou
26-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Buy a house on top of a hill......

House boat sitting on a block of land ?? :p

RevHead
26-06-2012, 09:45 PM
your damned if you dont and your damned if you do,it like anything here in Aust ,they put the prices up we sit back and look around for a better deal to save a few bucks ,then get screwed all over again the following year,our car insurance jumped from $335 last year to over $985 never made a claim in 10 yrs,been with nrma for yrs ,when quized she told me it was to get rid of younger drivers ,and to be more select with whom they want to insure.try shannons there doing home insurance

fimpBIKES
26-06-2012, 09:55 PM
its a bit of a sore point too, our cost of living is going through the roof this year (us personally i mean, this insurance plus our utilities and rates)
meanwhile work is telling me cpi last year was under 2%...

i tried a quote with suncorp (our homeloan is through them) they want $4.4k!!! our home only cost $240k ffs

will try shannons now

RevHead
26-06-2012, 10:13 PM
its really simple ,until the Australian people actually yell loud enough the government, and all the oil, insurance companies and a like will not listen .,and it wont happen here bc no one really worries day to day about anything.i dont mean use in general ,speaking as an overall.

fimpBIKES
26-06-2012, 10:19 PM
are u serious? i worry about EVERYTHING all the frikken time
im sure im not the only one

anyways so just wasted 30minutes on the online calc for shannons only for it to spit out that i need to call them
so much for lunch breaks this week...

El_Hefty
26-06-2012, 10:20 PM
I feel your pain fimp

my workers comp i have just been advised is going from 8k to 13k because i had one claim last year.... the cunts are taking it everywhere ATM but your pretty much fucked atm if your in a flood zone thats just how its going to be from now on

Redmohawk
26-06-2012, 10:24 PM
racv last year for 240k house 120k contents $360 here last year $6800 this year no where near the flood zone 2.2km from 100 year mark and 14.5 feet above it ! Told them to go fuck themselves . Got insurance through local credit union including flood from above and below $300 lol FUCK YOU RACV COCK SMOKERS !

fimpBIKES
26-06-2012, 10:27 PM
wow, so not just me!!!

seems like all the floodzones in the country are suffering even though there was nothing natural about the floods in brissy
was all due to poor dam management anyways

Tony Nitrous
27-06-2012, 08:33 AM
due to poor dam management anyways

The Qld dam operators have had conflicting priorities.
After the droughts water conservation and retaining was increased.

If they let it go early and it DIDN'T rain, they were going to be in the shit!
If they held it back and HAD to let it go during the rain's, they were in the shit!

They were given a job that unless we had perfect weather,
some rain, but not too much, just enough, that they could not do.

Then the public below, and the Government above, all blame you.

Not a job i'd want.

Weaselman
27-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Fucking cunts the lot of them. With the carbon tax coming in next month and everything else set to go through the roof how the fuck do they expect people to pay this shit.
But on the flip side if you dont have insurance then they dont need to pay out.

Rev hit the nail on the head though. Aussie's are just letting themselves get trampled and smiling about it.
When we took on the insurance companys we won with ctp. It wasnt a huge victory but a saving is a saving.

Im all for burning down insurance companys

Tony Nitrous
27-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Im all for burning down insurance companys

I wonder if they're insured against that ?

Weaselman
27-06-2012, 10:58 AM
If they are their preimiums will go up!

fimpBIKES
27-06-2012, 12:28 PM
lol

StuNVA
27-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Try Elders Insurance Fimp

fimpBIKES
07-06-2013, 12:55 PM
so got the new notice for this year today

cunts have bumped it by ANOTHER $1440

so now over $4k a year just to insurance a house thats not even worth $250k

fucking increase of 165% while work got us on a pay-freeze this year (so CPI 0%), gunno go ask for a raise!!!

_M_
17-06-2013, 01:28 AM
so got the new notice for this year today

cunts have bumped it by ANOTHER $1440

so now over $4k a year just to insurance a house thats not even worth $250k

fucking increase of 165% while work got us on a pay-freeze this year (so CPI 0%), gunno go ask for a raise!!!

What coverage do you need?, Do you need flood cover or are you willing to self-insure for this event?, which companies have you tried?

fimpBIKES
17-06-2013, 12:24 PM
good point M
i applied to a heap of companies, finally called NRMA after a halfhour online quote fucked up

$5600 BUT it included 4k worth of flood insurance, would i be willing not to have that?
FUCK YES I SAID
they are sending me out some details, would still be covered by rising stormwater (which is what would damage my house, for a flood to hurt me it the river would be about 2-3m above the top of my house with the new levy banks)

the cover includeds $380k to rebuild my house if something goes wrong
what i cant understand is that i bought the house and land for $250k 3yrs ago, and its only a small cottage
how the fuck could it cost that much just to rebuild an empty house???!?!?!?!?!?!

tried GIO, AAMI, ALLIANCE, SUNCORP but no-one told me i could choose NOT to have flood cover
one of the cheeky fuckers wanted $9600 A YEAR!!!!!

TonyOW31
17-06-2013, 12:59 PM
what i cant understand is that i bought the house and land for $250k 3yrs ago, and its only a small cottage
how the fuck could it cost that much just to rebuild an empty house???!?!?!?!?!?!

They have to factor in a cost to knock down and remove the old house if it's beyond repair.

Hillsy
17-06-2013, 03:03 PM
For what it's worth we changed to YOUi from AAMI this year. AAMI wanted $1300 for the same policy that was $1000 the year before...I think YOUi came in at $900 with more coverage.

Mind you - we're not in a flood zone.

_M_
17-06-2013, 03:36 PM
good point M
i applied to a heap of companies, finally called NRMA after a halfhour online quote fucked up

$5600 BUT it included 4k worth of flood insurance, would i be willing not to have that?
FUCK YES I SAID
they are sending me out some details, would still be covered by rising stormwater (which is what would damage my house, for a flood to hurt me it the river would be about 2-3m above the top of my house with the new levy banks)

tried GIO, AAMI, ALLIANCE, SUNCORP but no-one told me i could choose NOT to have flood cover
one of the cheeky fuckers wanted $9600 A YEAR!!!!!

Most don't have the option to remove flood cover, with Suncorp and GIO its a standard part of the policy, AAMI you can only remove it if you are in a high flood zone.

Just make sure you read the 'fine print' of the documents when you change companies, as much as the premium may be significantly reduced the coverage and the heart ache of finding your not covered can be so much worse.

Best trick I can recommend is to compare off the best of each insurance giant, ie: Suncorp vs NRMA vs Westpac vs AIG - this is going to be your best bet as your comparing the best coverage each Insurance giant has (they won't be the same, in fact quite different for their varying levels of coveage) but you will not be effecting the insurance calculations by going to a different insurance group.

_M_
17-06-2013, 03:38 PM
They have to factor in a cost to knock down and remove the old house if it's beyond repair.

Only the real dodgy insurance companies do this still, most top line insurance companies will have this as an included feature as part of the price. The Sum Insured / Amount Covered / Replacement Value; should be the cost of rebuild nothing more, no clearing of the debris etc.

_M_
17-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Another way to significantly reduce your policy is to vary your excess, the majority cost of the policy is going to be associated to the building cost, where as the majority of peoples claims (volume wise not value wise) is with peoples contents. By selecting a much higher excess on the building and a lower excess on your contents, you will still be able to claim for the small value contents items while retaining a much more reasonable premium.

TonyOW31
18-06-2013, 08:18 AM
Only the real dodgy insurance companies do this still, most top line insurance companies will have this as an included feature as part of the price. The Sum Insured / Amount Covered / Replacement Value; should be the cost of rebuild nothing more, no clearing of the debris etc.

Included feature or not, insurance companies don't give you something for nothing. It is a real cost, so you will still be paying for it whichever way they spin it.
Maybe the 'real dodgy insurance companies' are just being more honest and upfront about the total cost of what you are paying for?