PDA

View Full Version : Painting or Anodised billet engine covers, Which is best?

wackyrider
26-06-2012, 02:16 PM
I'm looking at buying some billet engine covers for the Gixxer and th ones that I like aren't in the finish I want. I've seen both polished as well as black covers (either paint or anodised black).

Question is what is the best way to remove anodising so I can prep the part to get re-anodised a different colour?

timbo
26-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Im not 100% on this one but i think oven cleaner will do the trick

Gix11
26-06-2012, 04:05 PM
I have no idea, but did a search anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBmmXA1GDwo

That would work on a small part but a cover may be a different matter.

ALBI
26-06-2012, 05:28 PM
the colour is a die only.
the anodising is clear

when its anodised it comes out clear then its placed into a die bath.

give the boys a call at electromould in thomastown vic and let them know wat you want .
they will be doing my tl1000 parts like my black rearsets,and bxp brake cyl pots,top and bottom ttripple clamp,clutch cover,red clutch plate,sproket cover. they qouted me about $400 to strip and re-anodise blue.

Dynomutt
26-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Some cast parts will not take anodising colours well. I'm having a set of fork uppers and billet yokes done at the moment . the parts are being bead blasted and then done black, the finish will be the same as black Renthal bars. Depending on the finish you want the proccess is slightly different for the pre anodising treatment of the item.
You can remove anodising with caustic coda, but be very careful as it ain't pleasant stuff to use, and will compaetely dissolve the part if lieft in too long. I would give it to the anodising company and let them deal with it.

BANDITROD
26-06-2012, 06:26 PM
those cunts are a pack of theifs with there prices

the colour is a die only.
the anodising is clear

when its anodised it comes out clear then its placed into a die bath.

give the boys a call at electromould in thomastown vic and let them know wat you want .
they will be doing my tl1000 parts like my black rearsets,and bxp brake cyl pots,top and bottom ttripple clamp,clutch cover,red clutch plate,sproket cover. they qouted me about $400 to strip and re-anodise blue.

Redmohawk
26-06-2012, 07:12 PM
DIY motherfuckers

http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-diy-do-yourself/anodising-home-745450.html

wackyrider
26-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Yeah we deal with Electromould for work I believe. Not too often though and I believe that they can be cunts at times.

But, I have never had to deal with them personally so I cannot say anything.