PDA

View Full Version : More Anti-bike camera's

Pommy Chopper
24-11-2007, 05:17 PM
Whilst some may think it don't matter, cos it's only ained at bikies think again about how the authorities may use it against anyone on a bike!!

Damien Codnogotto wrote:

Good morning everyone.

I contacted Federal MPs regarding the Australian Motorcycle Council's (AMC) survey of candidates and the proposed police camera crackdown on riders (Nov. 4) which was apparently generated by police forces and is supported by both major parties at a federal level.

The crackdown on riders includes using special cameras to track riders suspected of an offence, banning some clubs, dictating what colours, patches and logos could be worn, dismantling of club houses, confiscating property and controlling who could ride with who and where. These matters would, according to an Adelaide newspaper, be decided by police.

Scary stuff. You can rent "Good Night & Good Luck" at your local video store.

See Senator Allison's email below.

The frightening part is that definitions in law can be sloppy and those interpreting definitions are not always acting without fear or favour.

I'm now informed (Novemeber 20) that the South Australian Premier supports banning selected motorcycle clubs. How long before the list expands? We have already seen how some police decisions have had negative effects on charity / road safety activities like Toy Runs across Australia.

Have a look at http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22791115-29277,00.html .

This crackdown could be a demonstration of gross prejudice and a serious violation of law-abiding citizens right to ride where, when and with who they want.

The Melbourne Herald Sun (Nov. 21 - page 17 - heraldsun.com.au ) has more and for once the Victorian Government is making sense when it comes to motorcycle & scooter riders. In stark contrast to SA Premier Rann's two-wheeled terrorists propaganda, the Victorian Police Ministry said.

"Victoria already has tough legislation for tackling organised crime." Hear hear! What they don't have is tough enforcement.

Senator Brown's office replied to my email saying they were swamped during the Federal election campaign but would respond after next Saturday's vote. Other Green's have responded to the AMC survey. Their replies can be seen on the AMC website.

Neither Kevin Rudd's office nor Dr Brendan Nelson's have replied. David Hawker, Speaker of the House of Reps did reply with the Federal Liberals transport policy.

Senator Allison in Melbourne not only got back to me about the crackdown, she offered to get involved in a protest. Also, she will follow the issue up in Federal Parliament after the election. Her statement is below.

The AMC surveyed candiates on motorcycle & scooter issues. For candidates responses to the survey go to:
www.amc.asn.au

Click on the styalised map of Australia labeled "Election 2007".

Your vote counts, especially in marginal electorates.

Damien.
Melbourne.
0419 846 855.
Thank you for drawing to my attention to the article dated 4 November 2007 in Adelaide's Sunday Mail "CAMERAS TO TRACK BIKIES" on the police targeting of motor cyclists.

The Federal Government proposal to install roadside cameras which have the ability to photograph up to 15 number plates at a time and to be used by the police to monitor and track motor cyclists is a concern.

This move by police against the whole motorcycle community is extreme. While some criminal elements may ride motor cycles an attempt to treat motorcyclists as a homogenous group criminalises a whole sector of society through association.

There is no precedence or other group in our society that would be similarly targeted let alone a group of over a million people.

This also sends a perverse message to society that riding a motorcycle is a criminal act in its self and just at a time when we need to reverse this prejudice and encourage more Australians to move to more fuel efficient transport.

I will pursue this matter further and when we resume parliamentary sitting after the election.

Regards
Senator Lyn Allison
Leader, Australian Democrats
To: DAMIEN CODOGNOTTO OAM
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 7:02 PM
Subject: RE: Spam: "CAMERAS TO TRACK BIKIES"

I agree, Damien

It's ridiculous. I'd be happy to join you in some sort of protest if you like.

Lyn

Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 1:13 PM
To: Allison, Lyn (Senator); Brown, Bob (Senator)
Subject: Spam: "CAMERAS TO TRACK BIKIES"

Dear Senators Allison and Brown.
Yet another attack on my community by the major political parties. No other group in our society would be treated like this let alone a group of over a million people
A story appeared in Adelaide's Sunday Mail newspaper last week. There's a link below. The article read in part.

ROADSIDE CAMERAS TO TRACK BIKIES

"Special roadside cameras would track bikies on the streets under a crackdown on outlaw motorcycle gangs being pushed by the Federal Government. ....... and so on .........

Gix11
26-11-2007, 01:22 PM
I read about the SA decision to ban all patch clubs. I think they will have to see the outcome from that before they take any more drastic steps.

fimpBIKES
26-11-2007, 01:57 PM
yeah, if the laws were written the wrong way we would have to take the AFR underground :D

GaNDaLF
27-11-2007, 10:56 AM
yea just another kick in the balls fuck I love governments.....