PDA

View Full Version : Installed new brake pads...now what?

Speedstripe
05-06-2012, 07:24 AM
Hey gang,
Well I did my first bit of work on my ZX6R, and changed the brake pads. I figured I'd do it myself since it should be an easy thing to do.
Well taking the old pads out and putting the new ones in seemed pretty easy, only problem is since I put the new pads in they seem to be touching the disks.
Figured it would ware down some after a ride, but it hasn't. Took it out on about a 20km round trip I'd say.

My dad was suggesting going out and getting the bike up to speed, and doing some hard-ish braking a couple of times to bed them in better.

Is this normal?
Or should I fiddle.

Oh and I have the standard OEM Nissin Calipers, and I used SBS brake pads.

RevHead
05-06-2012, 08:32 AM
it doesnt matter about the brand of pad the cheaper the pad the more brake dust youl end up with all over your wheels ,the pads should look like there touching the pads ,but actually the marginally off the disc ,if your worried about the pad rubbing lift the wheel off the ground ,and spin it by hand ,if its rubbing or biding then you got a problem ,but if it spins with no prob then all shall be well, yes bedding you brakes in consists of braking ,but not at a lot of speed ,

Speedstripe
05-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Hmmm,
I think they are properly binding. :/
If you move the bike back and forth you can hear it.
Also spoke to the mechanic on the way into work, he suggested taking the pads out and pushing the pistons out and then resetting them. Can I do this with the calipers still on the forks?
Going to be working in the parking lot at work on my lunch time.

RevHead
05-06-2012, 05:08 PM
how,d you go.

Speedstripe
05-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Still gotta wait for lunch, lol. Its 9:42am in not so sunny South Africa.
I'm thinking I'm going to try take the pads out, on one side, see if they still squeak, and then put em back, so I could at least identify which side is dragging.
Maybe taking them out and putting them back in will fix the problem... ;/

I need a backup bike. :(

RevHead
05-06-2012, 06:27 PM
nah youl sort it ,just take your time when working on your bike and dont rush

Redmohawk
05-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Sounds like a sticking piston , prob a good option to pull them down clean and flush fluid. Brake fluid is hydroscopic and if left to sit the calipers will corrode a little and gum up the pistons.

Hillsy
05-06-2012, 09:18 PM
More than likely you had crap on the pistons and because you've pushed them back into the calipers the crap is now making them stick against the seals.

If you can push them back out and clean them you might be lucky, otherwise you might have to pop them out and clean the entire caliper.

Dynomutt
06-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Remove the pads, then clean the pistons with brake cleaner and an old toothbrush, then slide the pistons all back into the caliper, and refit the pads. Once this is done refit the calipers, and then pump the brake lever until you regain braking pressure. This should sort things out for you.

Speedstripe
07-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Ok,
Well since the weather has been and still is crap, I dropped the bike off with a mechanic, who cleaned out the calipers and flushed the brake lines.
He also reset my suspension, but thats another story. (Need to get it set up for me anyways)

Since they're still dragging, and since I've had a chance to ride to and from work, could a bleeding the brake system again, help?
His other suggestion this morning was to perhaps remove those metal pads that sit between the piston and the actual brake pad, to get a bit more clearance, and then once I've put a few kms on the pads and they have worn down, to then put those little metal plates back.
Is this wise?
Will I damage the pistons?

BANDITROD
07-06-2012, 08:53 PM
i have seen guys do that at the race track without any probs mate

sickboy
07-06-2012, 09:31 PM
I'd be checking that the reservior is not to full and crack open the bleed nipples to let some fluid out,if that fails maybe the MC is fkt.

BANDITROD
07-06-2012, 09:36 PM
good call ken i didnt think of that one

Speedstripe
08-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Awesome,
I think we can say this issue is resolved for now.

I had ment to wake up early and take the little pad back plates off before I went in to work.
Early mornings and late night drinking with buddies mix about as well as oil and water.

So I figured, bugger that, I'll get to work early, and then work on the bike in the work parking lot. That way they can't say I'm late for work and don't take things seriously.

Got to work, pulled the pads, removed the plates, and the issue seems to be resolved.

Last question,
Do/should brake pads wear evenly from front to back, where the locating pin is.
Had a quick look at one of them, and it seemed to have a different texture at the front of the pad compared to the other end.
It went back in its same slot, but I'm still curious as to how a pad should wear.

Anyhoo, time for my morning coffee and a bit of work so I can say I earned my pay.

Gix11
12-06-2012, 11:28 AM
The pad should wear evenly mate. How many pistons? Seems as if one isn't pushing correctly.