PDA

View Full Version : Casey Stoner to retire at the end of 2012 season

Deano
18-05-2012, 06:14 AM
The 26-year-old Australian, who has won 35 MotoGP races in his career and leads the current standings after winning two of the season's three events, made the announcement at a news conference ahead of Sunday's French Grand Prix.
"After a long period of thought and numerous discussions with my wife and family, I have decided to stop competing at the end of the season," Stoner said.
"After so many years taking part in this sport that I love, and with all the sacrifices that I have had to make, I no longer have the passion to continue and I think that it is best to stop."
Stoner, who also won the world title in 2007 with Ducati, became a father for the first time in February when his wife Adrianna gave birth to a baby daughter.
At the time he shrugged off suggestions that fatherhood would dampen his love of motorcycling.
"They say you slow down when you get married, but in my first year of marriage I won the title," Stoner said on the eve of the season.
"When I found out we were having a baby, I won it a second time. I don't think that's the case (that you slow down)."
Stoner joined the elite MotoGP class in 2006 with a satellite Honda team after working his way through the 125cc and 250cc ranks following his debut as a 125cc wildcard at Donington, England, in 2001.
His switch to Ducati in 2007 proved an inspired decision as he won the MotoGP season-opener in Qatar, followed by nine more victories that propelled him to the world title.
He moved to the factory Honda team last year and clinched his second title on home ground at Phillip Island, having already won nine races. Stoner closed the season with a 10th victory in Valencia.
"Casey just announced that 2012 will be his final year in the MotoGP Championship. Let's hope he has a fantastic year," said his Honda team on Twitter.

I could see Rossi retiring but didn't expect Stoner to give it up this early. he had made noise about not continuing as long as possible but didnt expect it this early in his career.

i wonder if he will come back to oz and race v8's. i believe he tested the 888 racing car not so long ago.

stiffsimon
18-05-2012, 07:28 AM
Stoner is an awesome rider, phenomenally fast but I've never warmed to him. For me no great shakes that he's retiring but indeed a little odd for him to do so whilst he seems to be on the crest of a wave. Almost Doohanesque the way he's winning at the moment

Yella
18-05-2012, 08:13 AM
Shame to see him go and it will impact the popularity of the GP in Asutralia.

Tony Nitrous
18-05-2012, 08:26 AM
Simoncelli R.I.P.
Rossi off his game.
Moaner doesnt want to play anymore,
Who's next ?
At this rate Cal Crutchlow's going to be stood
on the podium wondering where everyone's gone.
Who said "Steven Bradbury" ......... ;)

Redmohawk
18-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Blue waffle struck again !

Hagarr
18-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Blue waffle struck again !

Concur!

ozzy1100
18-05-2012, 09:14 AM
Off topic mr Shelby died this week and almost no mention of it in news
Shame to see stoner to go but y not at top of yr game

El_Hefty
18-05-2012, 09:17 AM
with the waffle he has i wouldnt leave home....

I know he's bought up hundreds of acres of farming land over the last few years im sure he just want to come home and fuck.

MattyDucati
18-05-2012, 09:48 AM
with a mrs like that id be doin the same hefty! I agree that mgp has fucked the game with the latest rules crts suck! Bring back 500cc smokes no traction control.

Hillsy
18-05-2012, 11:10 AM
He may not go back onto bikes, but he won't give up racing. If it's in your blood, it's in your blood.

I'd say Deano is right with the V8 Supercars thing.......after a year off for shagging of course.....

latheboy
18-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Off topic mr Shelby died this week and almost no mention of it in news
Shame to see stoner to go but y not at top of yr game

I read about Mr. Shelby dieing but seeing as it was wasn't in the news i didn't believe it.

Sad....

Shame about Stoner... being stupid rich and having a hot missus ... well id quit too...

ALBI
18-05-2012, 02:00 PM
RIP shelby RIP

suxukifreak
18-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Honda will join V8s and stoner will be in a Civic.

Weaselman
18-05-2012, 04:37 PM
I personally couldnt give a rats where stoner goes. Im a Rossi fan and he'll come good as soon as he ditches Ducati.

RIP Carrol Shelby, a true muscle car innovator

Bob
18-05-2012, 05:27 PM
I say good on him for giving up young, retire while you enjoy it. Mabe vermulen will come back for good?

fimpBIKES
18-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Cant say blame him
Young family, shit new rules, plenty of money. Its a dangerous game so if he isnt 100% keen why should he continue?

Large
18-05-2012, 07:52 PM
I personally couldnt give a rats where stoner goes. Im a Rossi fan and he'll come good as soon as he ditches Ducati.

I'm not so sure of that.

Head to head- Stoner won more times than Rossi on a bike that Rossi usually finishes 7th or worse on even after a year of "improving" it. His mind games don't work on the new guys. He can't get special treatment like saturday night tyres any more, and last time he was equal machinery, Lorentho owned him.

StuNVA
19-05-2012, 03:55 PM
I'll try and get to the GP and watch him this year, might be a while before we get to cheer another Aussie on at that level.

I'm just hoping with all his spare millions he builds a track up at his farm, it'd be closer than anything else to me.

Link to Carroll Shelby tribute http://thethrottle.thechive.com/2012/05/17/an-attempt-at-a-tribute-carroll-shelby-95-hq-photos/

JackTar
21-05-2012, 08:27 PM
I'm not so sure of that.

Head to head- Stoner won more times than Rossi on a bike that Rossi usually finishes 7th or worse on even after a year of "improving" it. His mind games don't work on the new guys. He can't get special treatment like saturday night tyres any more, and last time he was equal machinery, Lorentho owned him.

Concur.

Weaselman
21-05-2012, 08:32 PM
Rossi did alright last night

Z Power
22-05-2012, 09:47 AM
I just like to have an Aussie to cheer for, bring back the mole.