PDA

View Full Version : Wire guru needed!

cabbie
15-05-2012, 02:05 AM
Having a problem here, I want to use a small ignition switch but cant work out whats going on with the standard one
Heres the back of the standard switch, when turned OFF the red/black & pink are connected, when ON the red/black, red and blue are connected but not the pink.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/cabbie1/M%20I%20900/001-89.jpg
So this should work when the terminals are pluged together but there is no spark! if I reconnect the switch I get a spark!
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/cabbie1/M%20I%20900/002-85.jpg
I need a small switch to relace the huge Honda item, any ideas what switch will work?

Dynomutt
15-05-2012, 05:12 AM
You need to wire the resistor into the circuit, as with the Bandit 1200 ignition switch there is a resistor in the ignition circuit that sends a modified signal voltage to the ECU, if the ECU does not see the modified voltage then it will not spark. On the Bandit 1200 it is a 100ohm resistor, you need to check what the resistor is rated at in the Blade ignition, you can tell by reading the coloured band coding around the resistor what it is rated at.

cabbie
15-05-2012, 05:36 AM
Could you recommed a small ignition switch that would work in place of the huge Honda item and where to put the resistor please :)

RevHead
15-05-2012, 08:32 AM
ive just had a similar problem with a zx9,but what i had to do is hide the standard ignition and wire in 1 micro switch, as the 99 zx9 has the same set up as your blade ignition,the reason for this mod was my mate had lost his keys and @ present he cannot afford a new ignition , i spent 8 weeks trying to find an ignition for him that was cheap enough, in the end just ,cracked open the standard ignition ,turned it on, then put it back together ,then put micro switch across the main power wire.

cabbie
15-05-2012, 08:37 AM
ive just had a similar problem with a zx9,but what i had to do is hide the standard ignition and wire in 1 micro switch, as the 99 zx9 has the same set up as your blade ignition,the reason for this mod was my mate had lost his keys and @ present he cannot afford a new ignition , i spent 8 weeks trying to find an ignition for him that was cheap enough, in the end just ,cracked open the standard ignition ,turned it on, then put it back together ,then put micro switch across the main power wire.

Thats exactly what I'm going to do, wire the bottom half of the standard unit in and fit a simple 2 wire key ignition in the power wire, job done :)

Hillsy
15-05-2012, 11:18 AM

All you need to do is run the resistor in line with the power wire (grey?) to the ignitor unit. Then you can run any switch you like without having to use the stock ignition switch. I think the Kawis used a 100 ohm resistor.

Same with you cabbie - just measure what the resistance is on the one on your stock switch and run one of them to your ignitor.