PDA

View Full Version : Insurance VS modifications

JDinOZ
14-05-2012, 08:10 AM
So my insurance is up for renewal and lately I've been wondering what would happen financially if my bike was somehow badly damaged...

I'ts got a Showyomoto headlight, fender eliminator and integrated tail light for starters, so would insurance cover me fully or would they fuck me off?

Im paying a ridiculous premium for my insurance because im:
A. young therefore inexperienced.. (done plenty of trackdays advanced rider courses etc but they don't care)
B. Because I have been in an accident before ( wasn't liable but still have to pay more)
C. Because of speeding fines (not only do you pay the fine my premium goes up as well wtf)

So really I am a bit over paying a bucket load of money if its not going to do anything...

What do you guys think?> I can either not renew it but I would rather be covered, or try and adjust my headlights get a better fender eliminator with all the roadworthy shit and maybe a carbon tyre hugger and tell insurance about it and see if they cover it, or just ring em and tell them about my current mods and see what they say? Or not tell them and continue on like I am now...

Has anyone had any experience with insurance not paying up because of mods?

RevHead
14-05-2012, 08:24 AM
i had my 1100 insured with Shannons it was costing me $585 a year for an agreed value ,only catch was i had to keep the k,s to 8000ks a year.

Redmohawk
14-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Bomb insurance , 3rd party fire n theft till your premiums come down. Then don't crash !

sharky
14-05-2012, 09:05 AM
Just ring for a quote telling them about the mods ....Shannnons had no prob with my bike...

El_Hefty
14-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Age might be an issue with shannons though Jordy. But if your honest about it in the first place there should never be an issue, if you require a claim that is.

Can you afford to replace the bike if you throw it off the edge of the Mt Lindsay highway? If not insurance is the go and just shop around

JDinOZ
14-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Ok. well im with Suncorp at the moment but Ill ring Shannons and see if they are better. So noone has ever had a rejected insurance claim because of a small mod, theyre ussually cool about it?

wackyrider
14-05-2012, 10:36 AM
I called up AAMI and advised them of all the mods ont he R1. They cae back with a quote of $666 (I shit you not) for fully comp

StuNVA
14-05-2012, 04:44 PM
As long as you tell them they don't seem to care.

We had a claim and I had pulled the bike apart in the shed when we got it home before I'd taken it down to the dealership to get the claim costed I just took the box of shit I'd taken off it, minus the modded pats and included the old parts and they simply didn't give a fuck about fender eliminators and blinkers or shit. I think the claims dude may have sniffed a cheap tracky in the making though.

Insurance is a cunt, you can bet the one time you'll need it is the one time you will be too tight to pay and it'll end up costing you. Like the big fella said if you can't afford to replace it without it hurting, insure it.

JDinOZ
14-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Ok will do. cheers guys.

_M_
15-05-2012, 07:33 PM
You must tell the insurance about all mods ... Or they may "reduce or refuse to pay a claim" it's part of your duty as the insurered, If you have lots of mods then Shannon's or insuremyride (owned by the same group) are your best bet, but Shannon's won't like you if you have driving offenses

xa-mont
16-05-2012, 11:24 AM
You must tell the insurance about all mods ... Or they may "reduce or refuse to pay a claim" it's part of your duty as the insurered, If you have lots of mods then Shannon's or insuremyride (owned by the same group) are your best bet, but Shannon's won't like you if you have driving offenses

They are happy with my offences.

StuNVA
16-05-2012, 05:21 PM
They wouldn't look at me :( :rolleyes:

EVLZX
16-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Just got a ZX14, insurance with shannons was going to cost me $1600 however they said if it was not going to be parked securely when it was out ( secure carpark with cameras and security ), for instance at work they could not insure me.
So I went with Swann again, they even knocked the price down to be more inline with my lowest quote, I assume that's because this is my second policy with them.

Bob
16-05-2012, 07:39 PM
^^ i was the oppisite, swan charged me threw the ass and wouldnt cover the mods to ze german, swapped to shannon and mods covered, full comp on it and my busa, and laid up fee for the wifes bike while its deregistered for less the swan wanted for the busa alone, but like other have said best is to shop around, get some quotes and then decide. Each person is different and each company prices different.

EVLZX
16-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Yeah shop around.

Just curious Bob how much was the laid up insurance as the ZRX will be off the road soon in pieces.

Yeah I'm not sure what Swann is like about mods as both my bikes are pretty stock, I guess that was what the original question was about.

xa-mont
17-05-2012, 12:16 PM
I have laid up on my XA coupe and its only 120 a year, covered for 15k and covered for any time it is NOT moving under it's own power (in the shed, on a trailer, at a workshop blah blah blah)

Bob
18-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Yeah shop around.

Just curious Bob how much was the laid up insurance as the ZRX will be off the road soon in pieces.

Yeah I'm not sure what Swann is like about mods as both my bikes are pretty stock, I guess that was what the original question was about.
Laid up is $200 for the year, thats full comp fire, theath and flood. Im happy to pay it just to no that its covered while its in the shed.