PDA

View Full Version : The flaw with the new repairable writeoff laws

Weaselman
11-05-2012, 05:12 PM
RIGHT! time to vent.

My wife was involved in a collision on tuesday that left her injured and my VZ Calais badly damaged. (Shes ok though)
She was hit at speed by another car up the arse and as a conciquence the chassis buckled, deforming the car and jamming the rear doors shut.
Now after talking to my insurance company they explained that because of the new legislation its cheaper for them to repair the car than write it off as they can only reclaim the parts value of the vehicle.

So what this law means is that they are now repairing my car that should not be back on the road.

Needless to say as soon as its finished im trading it in because we all know if you squash a coke can you can bash it back into shape but it will never be as strong and god forbid there is another accident involving my car.

Im pissed right off at this because the bullshit RTA may have stopped car rebirthing but now if you wrap a car around a pole they are going to try and fix it before they would even consider writing it off.

So beware if your buying 2nd hand cars. The damage hiding under the paint could be a million times worse than you could imagine.

kev@vcm
11-05-2012, 05:25 PM
weasel thats shitty news mate the bonus of your story is your wife is alive which is good news please pass along my bset to her please , bad news about your car though ,

RevHead
11-05-2012, 06:47 PM
you can ask for it to be written off ,tell the shop ,not to touch it and get on the phone to your insurer,been there done that got it written off

or get it towed to another repairer and have it written off.

Weaselman
11-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Tried it. The NRMA have dug their heels in. Fuck em they can fix it. I'll still trade it in

RevHead
11-05-2012, 07:16 PM
bunch of cunts

but yet they panel shop up the road wrote off a 2011 barina ,with a tiny front guard and front bar damage and it had 9k on the clock

El_Hefty
12-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Was chatting a few days ago to the boss of the panel shop down in Sydney i used to work at. Its happening commonly and especially the NRMA are repairing up to 90% of the value without much thought. They repaired one recently that went over the value of the car for the NRMA, the repairs had been started at another shop but the car was pulled from there to his shop due to dodgy repairs mid job, while he warned them of the cost and going over the value they still repaired it

They are repairing a mazda 2 with 500 odd ks less than 2 months old hit in the arse, the quote was 12 grand for a new rear floor etc, the NRMA said repair it and of course, the customer is somewhat upset but has no recourse. He has plenty of other stories like that, but the decisions were made to stop the filthy lebbos (and others but they are always a good target) in sydney from their rebirthing etc

A car like Weasels VZ,NRMA would be lucky to get $500 for the wreck so it now makes sense for them to repair. Dont blame the NRMA though they are in business to make money blame the pollies that thought this would be the best way to stop the problem and in turn have created another.

Gemini are buying up panel shops all over Sydney for millions for a reason and just recently Perfect Auto Body was just sold to Mick Zammit of Scientific smash repairs for 45 million including land, but while smashed cars are worth nothing, the panel shops will become one of the best business's in town. Not good for the consumer.

Weaselman
12-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Right development.

The car could be written off as an 'economic writeoff' but the reason the NRMA want it repaired is that the car that hit it was insured by them too. Meaning they would loose money from the deal. If the at fault vehicle was insured by another company the nrma would recoup costs. Also seeing as there is a ctp claim being admistered by my soliciter they want to save as much as they can. Im talking to my breif and fair trading on monday

Neo Dutch
12-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Careful it doesn't develop an electrical fault and catch fire.

Redmohawk
12-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Careful it doesn't develop an electrical fault and catch fire.

Happens a bit with rear enders lol

RevHead
12-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Happens a bit with rear enders lol

all the time

Jockney Rebel
14-05-2012, 06:53 PM
yup ive heard this