PDA

View Full Version : Chain tensioning

sharky
11-05-2012, 08:13 AM
Ok...Forgetting for a moment how it would actually be made, would a sprung type chain tensioner work in place of axle adjusters ?
I've used them on hardtail chops to control the over length chain in the past.
They are used on many custom harleys but not sure how effective they would be...
The top run is obviously under tension, so would it work tensioning the bottom chain run ??

I'm thinking that with the tension adjusted to correct play with me sitting on the bike, and being a sprung unit it would allow for movement.

The tensioner would have to be adjustable but designing it is half the fun :confused:

BANDITROD
11-05-2012, 08:41 AM
I have seen them used on chook chasers but i reckon there might be to much stress on a road bike IMO

Redmohawk
11-05-2012, 08:54 AM
I've used several on large capacity bike motor powered mini sprint carts. And their common on live axle setups on the track, maintinance of more often that a regular road bike (looked at between each 20 lap race) but its rare to need to mess with a chain. Most stups are similar swingarm length to a bike but with 14 to 18 inch total rolling dia of tyre setups. Some run independant swing arms with limit straps and allow a limited amount of axle yaw as well. Chains seem to hold up well even with this abuse , most use the same sort of tentioner. (rollerskate wheel with a grove cut for the chain to ride in and high speed bearings).

Most are powered by 1100 oil cooled motors running meth big cams compression and flatslides, power outputs are considerable and drag on chain from tyres is much larger than all but a drag bike. I think it would work in your application just fine mate.

ozzy1100
11-05-2012, 08:58 AM
fuck here we go again lol

xa-mont
11-05-2012, 09:05 AM
The buells (running a belt) have a sprung tensioner, not sure if it's relevant at all but thought i would point it out.

Redmohawk
11-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Ozzy you know your already running ideas through your head on "How to do it" lol Russ will be knocking on your door soon haha

ozzy1100
11-05-2012, 09:11 AM
he is already the one with the idea and they are off shelf in usa so all good for about the 100 mark some cnc can make the fucking thing lol
he was here yesterday fucking tring to rape my horded surply of bike parts saying some thing about selling them so he can stop having to hear me bitch about no money for the zephyr ...... cunt how will my workshop look cool with out bike parts every where......

Redmohawk
11-05-2012, 05:34 PM
I have something I'll put in the mail for you to make your shop look cool mate. I'll roll it up and pop it in a post pack for you pm me your details.

ozzy1100
11-05-2012, 09:30 PM
red mate u have mail

EXBEN
11-05-2012, 10:07 PM
I made one for a bloke a few years ago, it's on a drag bike & keeps the extra long chain taut, worked quite well.

Redmohawk
11-05-2012, 10:20 PM
Ben you keep turning out sexy stuff like that one day you'll end up with your own business !

sharky
12-05-2012, 10:45 AM
This is the US one...
http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp276/sharkster68/Image1-1.jpg
The advantage for me here is that I can mount the rear mudguard very close to the tyre as the wheel won't move....