PDA

View Full Version : Running Ruff

The crow
06-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Ok i have a vtr thou 05 mod. recently had it re keyed which meant computer out and re chiped \ programed and new keys chipped to suit. Now that it has all been done the bike is running like a hairy goat. Yesterday it decided to over heat which it has never done before so bad that the reserve bottle was bubbleing. Checked all fluids and both radiators were full of coolant. I also while waiting to cool down " Burped " the radiator. this seemed to get me home again without an issue. Now the other issue is that it is not running as smooth as before and seems underpowered. Today on a ride the bike started out ok but after stop and going again it started to run warn again and had the underpowered feeling. and when holdoing reves has a small misfire. None of this has ever happened before untill the comp has had the rechip for the new keys so i wanted to know before i go and up these fuckers on tuesday could it be there fault in something they have done ????
Could it have affected the ignition timeing at all ?? i am at a loss as electrics is not my fortay and any help or advice would be muchly appreciated

RevHead
06-05-2012, 04:24 PM
just get a leak down test done on your cooling system 1st .
then go from there .

Redmohawk
06-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Why did you re chip it ? lost key's ? When was it last seviced ? Have you ridden it much just before re chip ? Lots of questions , all effect answers.

If its been sitting a few months before rechipping bad/stale fuel is a possablity of running poorly. Blocked injector possably, easy enough to do a quick check. Motor cold start n let idle as it first warms hand on headers if one is heating slower than the rest , you have an indication to a missing cyl.

Check Plug's for fowling/pitting rounding of edges of earth strap (heat stress or running lean indicator) also look for odd one out (alot dirtyer or one cleaner than others). As pete said pressure test cooling system (go to a radiator service place take 5 min and prob cost you $20 if your unlucky)

Let bike idle for a bit and look to see if fan switches on , bi-metalic heat sensor switches do fail some.

Look for simple things first , leaks, dodgie fuel, plugs, etc before blaming a computer.

RevHead
06-05-2012, 06:00 PM
if your bike runs a thermostat check that its opening alll the way ,take it out and boil some water in a coffee mug then put thermostat into it ,to see if it is opening all the way up

Nudie
06-05-2012, 08:06 PM
No injectors Red, 48mm carbs

Redmohawk
06-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Carbs eh ! Must admit not up with the old VTR's , take it there just using computer for just ignition ? talk about over kill lol But tends to point more to it being an issue somewhere other than the puter then (less for the puter to fuck up). Well same holds true just with carbs there are more holes to gum up. Idle jet main jet and emulshion tubes plus air passages can all get foulded with crap from stale fuel. Dump fuel from bowls onto some paper towel and see what is in there , if its got crap in it. Time to strip your carbs for a good clean drain tank and new filter. I'd pull the bowls off and have a clean even if fuel came out ok on paper as it doesnt always show up the scum on the bottom of your carbs.

Yella
06-05-2012, 09:46 PM
When did it over heat. idle, cruise or giving it stick. From memory the VTR has Computer-controlled electronic advance set up but not sure if that can be effected when they rechip the ECU for a key but I would be asking the question. Could be as simple as a poor connection giving a false reading to the ECU so it is pulling the timing around further than it should

The crow
08-05-2012, 04:26 AM
ok i know its not fuel put fresh in have runtwo tanks all way through not service as was only done 3500 ago the chipping was only done due to new keys being needed. Pulled the thermostat and its all ok.

Yella .. Was wondering if the timing could be an issue .. connections are all good from the ecu .. If this is the case does it mean back to the shop or is there a home fix available ?? the overheat i started to notice it was high during normal running and just got worse sitting it is a first for the bike

Thx for the input boys

Yella
08-05-2012, 07:56 AM
I would be asking the shop that did the chip as it sounds a little strange that it only started after the new chip was installed.

Nudie
08-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Does the fan cut in when hot? Ive seen them get jammed up with leaves and not spin. Does it cool off when you're riding? If so i'd look at the fan

oldskool
08-05-2012, 03:50 PM
They just have a key reader and it would be a CDI if its a carb model not an ECU?

The crow
09-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Ok so the shop is claiming not there doing { surprise } Spk to honda and they didn't know anyone outside of honda could do it but that's honda for u and they are more than happy to look for the fault but don't guarantee finding anything at the rate of $110 an hr.

Nudie .. The fan works well u can hear it every time it fires up and is all clear and temp only dropped slightly.

so the drama continues and bike goes into honda next wk for a look see ..... Something so simple has turned a perfectly good bike into a drama.

oldskool
09-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Um its a Honda!