PDA

View Full Version : drilling a top clamp for risers.

yuma bizl
02-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Hey Gang...
Any advise for drilling out a top triple clamp for risers?
I'ver got risers and fat bars coming and was thinking about getting a spare clamp to play with.
Its for a 99 zx9-r
So what ya think?

YumA

RevHead
02-05-2012, 07:04 PM
just remember to measure and make sure your risers are straight,i drilled my own top triple on my old gixer ,it was ridden for 4 years and never had a problem ,just dont rush the job and it will work out,also look at the underside of the triples to make sure that were your drilling the bolts can seat flat .Also use lock tight on all threads.

yuma bizl
03-05-2012, 07:53 AM
ta pete

Jed
03-05-2012, 11:56 AM
I did mine on the ZXR. Pretty sure the top triple is similar. Had no problems at all with them. I had to use the risers with 2 bolts, as the ones with the single would have had to be drilled through the webbing underneath. Where as the 2 bolted ones drilled on either side. If you get my drift>>>>>

Hillsy
03-05-2012, 11:56 AM
I used risers of the 2 bolt type, made a plate that sat under the triple, drilled the holes and bolted the whole lot together. There's webbing that runs right along the middle of the ZX9 top clamp so using single bolt risers means cutting this out which I wasn't comfortable doing.

Like Pete said take your time, measure 10 times and (hopefully) drill only once......

Hillsy
03-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Jed ninja'd me.

orazzal
03-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Hi all

anyone got photos of the bottom side of their triple clamp after mounting risers in particular 01-03 gixxas

not sure on what to do with the bracing either mill them down or just make a large flat washer to sit on top of them

any help would be much appreciated

Jed
03-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Jed ninja'd me.

I thought the same thing

BANDITROD
03-05-2012, 05:04 PM
mill it out and replace with some nice fat washers
Hi all

anyone got photos of the bottom side of their triple clamp after mounting risers in particular 01-03 gixxas

not sure on what to do with the bracing either mill them down or just make a large flat washer to sit on top of them

any help would be much appreciated