PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating chrome

kiwi kdx
01-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Hey all, I have heard different things regarding this..... Some say I must strip the chrome off first, some say key the chrome and some say just go straight over it....

Has anyone actually done it before?

RevHead
01-05-2012, 07:04 PM
sand the chrome to remove the shine .

Redmohawk
01-05-2012, 07:09 PM
first part of powder coating in most shops is sandblasting (is where I do it) so chrome no more !

wackyrider
01-05-2012, 07:19 PM
You gotta blast before they will powder coat

oldskool
01-05-2012, 11:20 PM
If its American chrome leve it in the rain for a day and it will rust and fall off anyway.

latheboy
02-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Why didn't you call a Powder coater and ask them?

Yep, it needs to go before coating.

sharky
02-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Honestly Ivan....Why would you do that when we have so many experts on here ....

kiwi kdx
02-05-2012, 09:20 AM
haha i have called one this morning... but i wanted to know last night!!!

the guy rekons he will just key it up and go straight over it, he rekons he does it all the time
and it wont fall off........

wackyrider
02-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Who you using? I used Coburg powder coaters and they didn't cost much. Especially since I blasted my own frame at work.

EXBEN
02-05-2012, 10:13 AM
haha i have called one this morning... but i wanted to know last night!!!

the guy rekons he will just key it up and go straight over it, he rekons he does it all the time
and it wont fall off........

mmmmm...........I've heard that before, some people that do powdercoating really shouldnt, I've seen some reall disasters. Personally I wouldn't powder over chrome without blasting it first, in my opinion it's the only right way to 'Key' it to the part. the problem isn't whether it will hang on or not, when it's new it will alway stick. the problem is 6 months down the track when you get a stonechip in it, if the area surrounding the chip isn't fully keyed (ie there's still some gloss on the chrome) it will peel.

kiwi kdx
02-05-2012, 10:20 AM
i must say i am a bit weary of leaving the chrome on there ill just blast it off i think.

i use raglan powdercoating, they are pretty good and cheap($25 bucks a rim)

wackyrider
02-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Get me some beer and I'll open up the workshop for you. I believe you're around the same area too

BANDITROD
02-05-2012, 02:29 PM
itsw a trap jarrad he is french and prob has acess to chloroform

Redmohawk
02-05-2012, 07:06 PM
mmmmm...........I've heard that before, some people that do powdercoating really shouldnt, I've seen some reall disasters. Personally I wouldn't powder over chrome without blasting it first, in my opinion it's the only right way to 'Key' it to the part. the problem isn't whether it will hang on or not, when it's new it will alway stick. the problem is 6 months down the track when you get a stonechip in it, if the area surrounding the chip isn't fully keyed (ie there's still some gloss on the chrome) it will peel.

Listen to the man he speaks the truth , see it all the time at work. Work comes in that was Primed fresh rhs tube powdercoat applied on manufacture of part 16 months later comes to me with chips/scratches throw it in the blaster and it comes off in sheets rust underneath in patches as big as 50 cent pieces around chip. Ones that are blasted before coating , when shoved in the blaster are a bitch to blast clean because the shit just doesnt want to come off, Big difference !