PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a change of job

sharky
19-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Ok so my current employer is being a complete arse and looks like I will be out of work. They started it so now I'm getting Workcover involved to hopefully sort them out.

The bottom line is I am looking to get out of the building game.
The only other thing I know is bikes. I'm not a qualified mech or anything but at least know my way around them.

Anyone got any pointers ?

When we buy it will probably be Nth suburbs so nothing toooo far south of Brissy.

appo
19-11-2007, 03:46 PM
theres some big money to be made in building at the
moment thou isnt there??????
cant go out own your own and make a killing???

sharky
19-11-2007, 03:54 PM
Unfortunately the reason I'm getting out is that the doc has diagnosed Tendonitis in my right hand. Once there it never goes away fully, bit like a back bad you always have to be careful.
I could carry on once its better this time, but ultimately I could screw up my hand completely. Now this may or may not happen...but would you want to take the chance of losing the use of your right hand ? (and I am right handed by the way)
Sorry not having a go...just a bit pissed off at the moment. :(

Hillsy
19-11-2007, 04:03 PM
Even with mechanic qualifications, the wages in the bike game are pretty ordinary. I worked part-time at a shop / wreckers a while ago and it didn't pay well.

But I was working with bikes so I didn't mind at the time.

appo
19-11-2007, 04:23 PM
yeah.. fair enough sharky... your right, nothing is worth that!
thats a bit fucked then, you'll suffer in alot of jobs with tendonitis!!
im sure something will come up for ya soon dude.
get a pencil pushing gov job, they seem the way to go... good pay and all
the benefits etc..

Jockney Rebel
19-11-2007, 04:39 PM
russ u could get into my game [we ll take anybody lol] but its just as likely to fuk yer hands up but at least u get to drive around in the van all day drinkin tea and talkin bollox

Jockney Rebel
19-11-2007, 04:40 PM
alternativly theres 42,000 vacancies in the mines in WA

Large
19-11-2007, 04:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by frankenbiker

alternativly theres 42,000 vacancies in the mines in WA

Should be a few mining jobs in Qld too.

My mate earns $35-40 an hour for sitting in an airconditioned drill rig somewhere in the wa boonies. Makes a fucking fortune...

Only problem is he works 2 weeks on (14 x 12hr days) and one week off, so not too good for family life.

Cruisecontrol
19-11-2007, 05:00 PM
I know how you feel mate. I did this on my way home from work a few years back:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/mintbread1/mypic36.jpg

Chronic arthritis in my wrist hurts like a bitch most days but I decided that it hurts doing most things so I might as well just do what I want anyway regardless of the risk of the joint being fused further down the track. The Doc told me to give away riding bikes but I told him to jam it.

You could always try bludging at Post. 50 grand a year to ride a bike around and shove paper in holes...

sharky
19-11-2007, 05:32 PM
I'm pretty much coming to that same conclusion Cruise...there ain't nowt else that pays much.
Couldn't do the Bunnings thing...I'd last a day before doing some DIY on a customer.
Got a couple of things in the pipeline...looking at the classier one-off work type places rather than mass produced stuff.
Thats why I was asking about brake m/cyl's....nuthins gonna stop me riding..in fact it hurts less than drivin as my wrist is kept straight.

scotty
19-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Yes The bike trade is never going to make u rich, its more like a relationship(but the bitch u pump the money into ((get a good boss and its his cost price))wont cheat on u ). u wont get payed for all the hours u work.. If i was serious id look for a pd ( pre delivery) position at a big dealer, average pay but they dont rape u to much.. so just rock up to the dealer and ask for the manager, dress well, be honest, and state ur case. if u present well ull get a call for sure, the turn over in a bike shop is huge!!

Weaselman
19-11-2007, 08:04 PM
The Mining industry in most cases require a Tafe certificate in mining OH&S.

Trucking is a good choice
come over to the dark side

loosebruce
20-11-2007, 06:53 AM
What are you like at talking, Russ?
Sales is a piece of piss if you can talk to people on their own level.
Helps to be into what your'e selling too, eg bikes or tools.
Generally very crap dollars though.
Rider training is good fun and again the money isn't great.
I've been a casual for Stay Upright for the last 5 years and I work with some great people.
If you have a trade, TAFE is probably interested in your skills.
My dad went from a mechanic to a TAFE teacher in about 4 years and they paid him to do it.
Good luck, Mate.

:)

BOHEMION
20-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Sharky why not get ya MR, HR licence? Crane licence? or even folk lift? there are jobs going for Queensland Rail or at the Port of Brisbane almost constantly. Just might be a drag if you dont want to work shift.

appo
20-11-2007, 01:09 PM
plenty of greenhands jobs going out on the rigs here if you dont
mind fly in fly out!

pt
20-11-2007, 05:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by loosebruce

What are you like at talking, Russ?
Sales is a piece of piss if you can talk to people on their own level.
Helps to be into what your'e selling too, eg bikes or tools.
Generally very crap dollars though.
Rider training is good fun and again the money isn't great.
I've been a casual for Stay Upright for the last 5 years and I work with some great people.
If you have a trade, TAFE is probably interested in your skills.
My dad went from a mechanic to a TAFE teacher in about 4 years and they paid him to do it.
Good luck, Mate.

:)

i think this sounds like a good idea mate, i imagine you have fairly useful skills and teaching them is a good way too keep doing what you know without fucking your body up.

oh and know what you mean about not wanting to fuck it up. i've got arthritis in my elbow and i shouldn't ride. but i'm 19 so theres no way i'm going to start stopping doing shit now! you can screw yours up all you like!

sharky
20-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Just had a good interview for a cabinet makers foreman position...decent wage increase and no 'on the tools' work.
Fingers crossed.
Oh and its nth side...no more gateway bridge [xx(]

Frankie
20-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Yeah, further education...