PDA

View Full Version : legality's of thre bike rear

Funkenfresh
18-11-2007, 02:38 AM
what are some of australias legality's or the rear lenght of a motorbike.. ive heard different things... but im asking as what im planning to do will make the muffler outlet the rear of the bikes futherest point....

Weaselman
18-11-2007, 08:08 AM
seen plenty of harleys with fishtails past there rear guard and they pass rego...

Pommy Chopper
18-11-2007, 08:34 AM
To pass a roady the exhaust must exit on the right side (throttle side) and must exit the rear behind the rear seat passenger................well in theory anyway!!

chopaweeza
18-11-2007, 09:59 AM
Ditto that PC . Remember , just because you see a Harley do it doesn't make it legal.

Funkenfresh
18-11-2007, 12:08 PM
my idea is of the undertail muffler style... the muffler metal will be the futherest point... with no fairing around it...
what about height restrictions???? how high can the muffler be at the most?

Weaselman
18-11-2007, 06:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by Pommy Chopper

To pass a roady the exhaust must exit on the right side (throttle side) and must exit the rear behind the rear seat passenger................well in theory anyway!!

ahh haaa so how do you explain a buell

Tempest
19-11-2007, 01:37 AM

To pass a roady the exhaust must exit on the right side (throttle side)
VFR400
http://images.carsales.com.au/bikes/bikesales/260234.jpg

and must exit the rear behind the rear seat passenger

GSXR6/750

http://images.carsales.com.au/bikes/bikesales/264198.jpg

Just for thought!!

(credit to bikesales for pics)

Pommy Chopper
19-11-2007, 06:38 PM
So what are you saying Tempest??

Matt
20-11-2007, 01:03 PM
I just had a look in my QLD transport modifications booklet and it doesn;t say anything about it (doesnt mean there is no rule though) My CBR600rr has the exhaust tip being the furthest point, as do most undertail exhaust bikes ;)

Pommy Chopper
20-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Just to show i'm not some lying Cunt i've found this from QLD Transport Roadworthy site.

EXHAUST CONSTRUCTION

Possible reasons for inspection rejection:
Exhaust extractors or headers fitted to any motorcycle:
.. foul any part of the suspension, brake or fuel system;
.. do not have fittings (if applicable) for emission control equipment and do not retain exhaust pipes and mufflers incorporated in the exhaust system to ensure the vehicle maintains compliance with Australian Design Rules for vehicle emissions.
Any alteration or modification to the exhaust system is not to a standard provided originally by the motorcycle, including motor tricycle(s), manufacturer.
An exhaust system component fitted external to the motorcycle, including motor tricycle(s), is not protected by suitable guarding.
Exhaust gases do not discharge to the rear of the rearmost seating position of the motorcycle, including motor tricycle(s).
All exhaust system components are not securely mounted with adequate clearance between other parts of the motorcycle, including motor tricycle(s), and the road.

The ADR about exiting on the right i will find and post it too.
Cheers.

Tempest
28-11-2007, 11:40 PM
wasnt having a shot at ya... no need to get upset.
just some alternatives that appear to 'bend' the 'rules'.

fimpBIKES
29-11-2007, 08:42 AM
wow, guess im fucked then!

Frankie
29-11-2007, 09:20 AM
There where passing mine, like on the picture shown below (in WA).

The only concern, was the noise pollution (max 92 db) and the correct compliance plate- they are Honda VTR Mufflers on a Suzuki engine (Which I got of Stainetune- no worries).

Wether the muffler can be the furthest point... why don't you go and ask em?