PDA

View Full Version : Ride within your limits and dont cross the centreline.

Aido
15-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Cant get better advice than that.
Yesterday morning after Trav and Jules stopped in at our new place in Toolangi I headed down to Heallesville to pick up a few things. On the way home traveling up Chum Creek rd I was enjoying the slow drive back up the hill through the forrest on what was a spectaculr day. Heaps of bikes out and I was stoked to see so many others enjoying the day.
One bike in particular caught my attention more than any other. Black R1 ridden by a bloke called Richard. Why was this bike any different to all the others and how do I know his name? Because as he was coming down and I was heading up he managed to run far too wide into a LH bend and put himself into the centre of my lane. I stood on the brakes and got over far enough to take out a white post but to no avail. Missed the bullbar by 2 inches and bounced all along the drivers side of the Navara from front quarter to rear bumper. Pulled up and took a breath before looking back at the aftermath of debris on the road and was relieved to see the rider moving and then stand up. From the sound and feel of the impact I thought he had gone under the rear wheels.
His bike will be a stat write off, the Navara will need some panel and paint but most importantly his bruises should fade in the next week.
As a rider myself I have wittnesed and gotten away with over enthusiastic mistakes but to be on receiving end yesterday really rattled me. This bloke really did cheat death. I felt bad enough that it had to my vehicle in that place at that time that dealt a harsh lesson but I cant help but think of the what ifs.
This bloke has a family and friends...as does every other motorcyclist..next time the red mist descends while your on the road think of them. There are no trophies handed out by Vicroads.
I feel for the bloke and hope that he gets back in the saddle again because days like yesterday were made for riding. Sorry we had to meet that way.

ozzy1100
15-04-2012, 08:50 PM
shit lucky but good advise

fimpBIKES
15-04-2012, 09:45 PM
so the moral is you slapped him and now have a free wrecked r1 sitting in the back of the navara...

thinking german or traditional?

Aido
15-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Well as soon as he told me he doesnt have insurance I offered to go home and fetch the trailer.
I'll take some pics of the ute tommorow for insurance and this bloke was fuck off lucky to get away with it. Bike is fucked on both sides.

Redmohawk
16-04-2012, 08:39 AM
A sphincter altering experience , if he is truly lucky his sphincter will remind him next time he's on a bike.

Aido
16-04-2012, 09:39 AM
Just spoke to the rider. Ended up in hospital busted ribs and punctured lung.
He was up and walking around when I left him but I guess after the adrenalin wore off it started to hurt alot more.

BANDITROD
16-04-2012, 10:48 AM
fuck he was lucky how are your going with it all aido ...even the most experienced riders have there moments... i just took the missus for a hoon to horsham and back ..my first time out of town on the bike in 15mths and i must say its going to time to get used to the raw gixxer grunt again considering it was my everyday ride for 13mths before my accident ...i love my suzukis

hooligan
16-04-2012, 11:48 AM
...even the most experienced riders have there moments

When i had my big crash (smooth then bumpy then under a guard rail, on a bike i had owned for 10 years), i was lucky no one was coming the other way. He was lucky you were payning attention and didn't panic, Aido.
Maybe we should send this to the guy on the yellow daytona from NFR?

Aido
17-04-2012, 08:06 PM
How close?

As can be seen. swiped the bar wing and then all the way down the side. Missed full frontal by 2 inches.
Have gotten a quote on repairs ar $4600

Aido
17-04-2012, 08:13 PM
maybe not so clear.1400
Android and pics not working for me. try again.

Aido
17-04-2012, 08:23 PM

Aido
17-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Oppinions please.
I feel that I am being fair by not lodging an insurance claim against the rider and have dropped a few things off the list to save him some cash on my repairs....he has no insurance. I have dropped repair and respray the alloy wheels and powdercoating of the bar as I will damage these on my own without assistance. By not lodging a claim he also dodges my excess. I'm saving him approx 2k but he wants to get a better deal from someone he knows thats a panel beater......my thoughts are suck it up princess you rolled the dice and lost. Opperating any vehicle on the road without insurance or rego is a big gamble. If I Were in his position I'd accept the quote with good grace......would you?

Redmohawk
17-04-2012, 08:41 PM
He was the goose on the wrong side of the road , would your partner be happy to accept a vegitable for a partner if you met him head on on your bike ? Your already loooking after this bloke well enough time he sucked the weener.

Gix11
17-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Keep the ball in your court mate. I got stung once trying to help a guy out in the same situation. Do it on your terms, he fucked up, not you. You're not being a prick, you just want it fixed and are helping him out by not taking it further. No insurance or rego and riding like a twat? Who's the dickhead here? He knew the risk and now he's living the penalty.

RevHead
17-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Why should you have to worry about the riders bad choice ,you did move out of his way,when he was on your side of the road ,he must be grateful because if you didnt move he would be a smear or your bull bar

Aido
17-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Perhaps a busted up R1 might make everything better and we could overlook the whole shitfight :cool:

xa-mont
17-04-2012, 09:40 PM
i think that's the most sensible thing i ever heard you say aido... a non written off R1... sounds like it could make a good hill carver...

xa-mont
17-04-2012, 09:43 PM
BTW, the navara is a fourby... it's supposed to have scratches and shit.

Aido
17-04-2012, 09:47 PM
From what I saw of it I'd be getting the short end of the stick...Its well farked.
Mate of mine pointed out that he was lucky to have just hit a dirty old Navara. Some of the fourbys around this way...including mates....are lifted 6inch and wearing 38's to 44" tyres. He wouldnt have bounced off one of those. He'd be wearing a patrol rear diff housing as a hood ornament on his forehead for the rest of his life.

Aido
17-04-2012, 09:48 PM
BTW, the navara is a fourby... it's supposed to have scratches and shit.
Thats why I let the bar and wheels slide on the quote.
Besides I prefer to Diy

Slain
17-04-2012, 09:53 PM
mate i can see both sides of the story but stuff that. its your right to have the car repaired by your choice of repairer as this is what your insurance will offer you and as you said, you are still saving him the excess cost and his future insurance increases etc.
Explain to him that you are trying to help him but at the end of the day its your car and if it was in good condition before the accident (regardless of being a navara lol) then you should be receiving the car back in the same condition.
When a similar thing happened to my ute i had to go through insurance in the end as the blokes mate wouldn't give me a life time warranty on the repair where as the blokes me and the insurance company wanted the car to go to did.

hooligan
18-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Just remember Aido, he's not your mate. He's a bloke who almost killed himself riding like a twat. You can choose your actions, but not the consequences of your actions.
He chose to ride a bit loose, and the consequences are that he damaged your car, and now he needs to suck it up and pay for the damage. Just go through the insurance company. You're trying to help out and cut the cost to him, and he wants to bargain with you? Fuck him. Just because he owns a bike doesn't mean he's a great guy you have to help out.
This isn't being harsh, this comes from someone who has been in the same positon, i crashed an unisured bike (when i was about 18) and had to pay to fix the damage (about $4500). I fucked up, so i had to suck it up and pay to fix it.
Help him by teaching him not to ride like a twat, not by putting your neck on the line by risking him not paying for the work. Stick with the insurance.

mozza
18-04-2012, 02:37 PM
go with insurance for sure, this guy sounds like a dick and will most likley end up burning you !!

Snake_Doctor
18-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Sounds like you have been more than fair with him , he should not be looking a gift horse in the mouth - dealing with you insurance company would not be as painless.... my 2 cents anyway

Oppinions please.
I feel that I am being fair by not lodging an insurance claim against the rider and have dropped a few things off the list to save him some cash on my repairs....he has no insurance. I have dropped repair and respray the alloy wheels and powdercoating of the bar as I will damage these on my own without assistance. By not lodging a claim he also dodges my excess. I'm saving him approx 2k but he wants to get a better deal from someone he knows thats a panel beater......my thoughts are suck it up princess you rolled the dice and lost. Opperating any vehicle on the road without insurance or rego is a big gamble. If I Were in his position I'd accept the quote with good grace......would you?

Aido
18-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Yeah one sided argument as I am giving my position. I feel for the bloke as he could have been any one of us.....and given the state of his R1 he may well become a new member.
He fucked up, unfortunately I was there to greet him and point out his mistake of confusing ability with ambition. I dont wish him ill will as many people I have come in contact with have. It was an error of judgement as was taking the bike on the road without insurance.
My fall back is lodging a claim and making life a misery but I'd like to sort it with him if possible and that we both achieve the desired result.

fimpBIKES
18-04-2012, 08:55 PM
you saved his life from the sounds of it
surely he will grateful enough to pay the excess ffs!!

EFE 1230
19-04-2012, 09:42 PM
would you feel the same way about "helping the poor bloke out" if he sideswiped your bike and not your car?

Aido
20-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Claim went in yesterday.....no further communication.
I sniffed the rat when I told him the quote over the phone and he immediatly baulked. Apparently his brother in law can do it cheaper.
Hasta la Vista baby. I pay my insurance.
So in the essence of the forum "need some advice or got some?" Dont confuse ambition with ability and for fuck sake if your going to have a crack then at least get third party. Dumb bastard was lucky to hit a dirty old Navara instead of the AMG Merc that came along 30 secs later.