PDA

View Full Version : K5 GSXR Staring Problem

Chase
15-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Trying to get a K5 started, the battery had been flat cause it's been sitting, re-charged battery and now all instruments come up, fuel pump primes but bike won't turn over. I have checked the fuses and all seem ok - the bike just has a fast clicking sound from the main fuse box..

Any help appreciated thanks..

Redmohawk
15-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Battery voltage ? If its low I'd bet the clicking is your starter relay dropping in and out. Just use another battery or run a set of jumpers to the cactus one to give you some more current.

BANDITROD
15-04-2012, 07:21 PM
yep what Red said

Chase
15-04-2012, 07:39 PM
I've checked the voltage and it looks ok, but I'll scrounge a battery and see how it goes.. thaks fellas :)

Redmohawk
15-04-2012, 08:56 PM
if the batt has been flat for a while it will sulfate , crap at bottom of battery reduces effective plate area. So it will test ok with a multimetre and with low loads will seem fine, but when you try and draw real current , voltage will drop right into the toilet. Then start relay will generally buzz or click on and off. As starter relay powers up current goes to starter but not enough to get the sucker to spin due to battery being crap, so voltage drops then starter relay doesnt have power so drops out . Battery recovers voltage then starter relay engages again starting process again.

fimpBIKES
15-04-2012, 09:42 PM
so it cranks but wont start?

Hagarr
16-04-2012, 12:18 AM
Side stand switch ???

Mishdog20
16-04-2012, 12:36 AM
My money's on Red with this one. My ZX did the same shit when the battery died. Showed 12.3 volts until ya pushed the starter and nothin but clicking.

Chase
16-04-2012, 07:33 AM
so it cranks but wont start?
Na doesn't crank. I thought it would be electrical and the battery is looking like the most likely candidate even though it seems to keep enough charge under load it has been sitting for a while.

BANDITROD
16-04-2012, 10:51 AM
i have been through 3 batts in 2 years on my gixxer chase mainly from sitting without using a trickle charger
the stock yuasa one and 2 motobatts

fimpBIKES
16-04-2012, 07:08 PM
if it primes but the starter button does nothing i would check the stupid switch on the clutch (for people who dont know how to ride)
and then the sidestand switch

sounds like a sensor issue (especially if you have it hooked up to jumper leads and it doesnt fix it)
other trick is to have it all on, hold the starter button down and sit on the bike
steer left, steer right, lean around, jiggle cables
all while holding down the starter button and see if anything happens

xa-mont
16-04-2012, 07:22 PM
i assume they have a tip over sensor... have you checked that one.

Chase
16-04-2012, 07:56 PM
if it primes but the starter button does nothing i would check the stupid switch on the clutch (for people who dont know how to ride)
and then the sidestand switch

sounds like a sensor issue (especially if you have it hooked up to jumper leads and it doesnt fix it)
other trick is to have it all on, hold the starter button down and sit on the bike
steer left, steer right, lean around, jiggle cables
all while holding down the starter button and see if anything happens

The wiring all seems to be ok, having a closer look at the battery and I think it's dropping the volts uner load.. so new battery it is.

RevHead
16-04-2012, 09:10 PM
i just put a new180cca gel battery in my 1100 ,the gel batteries seem to last longer, i got 4years out of the last one.
the new one set me back $125.

Bob
17-04-2012, 07:28 PM
I remember graig had a problem simalar on ride a while ago. He said the battery was the problem.

OLD SKOOL BANDIT
17-04-2012, 09:19 PM
I had this problem once, Red is spot on I reckon. Try the jump leads then you'll know for sure