PDA

View Full Version : Fibreglassing rear ductail

bluedrags
11-04-2012, 07:08 PM
I was looking at having the rear cowl part on my zxr ductail detachable but can't be bothered making brackets so I am thinking of fibreglassing it there for good.
I was just wondering should I fibreglass over the out side or glass it from the inside.
Would I have to glass the whole ductail if I do it from the out side?.

Chase
11-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Plastic weld from the inside and use filler from the out. Fibreglass won't hold the plastic.;)

RevHead
11-04-2012, 08:13 PM
1333this is the gear to stick plastics together,use it in a well vented area costs $30

oldskool
11-04-2012, 09:22 PM
If thats anything like Plastex (powder with liquid?) its more brittle that the plastic of faring plastic welder would do a better job.

RevHead
11-04-2012, 09:46 PM
If thats anything like Plastex (powder with liquid?) its more brittle that the plastic of faring plastic welder would do a better job.
Yes it is a powder and a liquid .
i used it on the z 750 mask on my 1100

bluedrags
11-04-2012, 09:56 PM
I was hoping to get a smooth finish so it looks like one piece.
I might have a go at making a fibreglassing a new rear.
Is the foam you use for flowers good to make seat and fairing moulds from?.

Redmohawk
11-04-2012, 11:25 PM

Exactly the same shit Dylan , just a different brand name. (not UV proof so will degrade in the sun faster than HDPE does) Plastic welding is the best option as Dylan said. If done well it can look just about seamless.

damo1
12-04-2012, 01:15 PM
1333,use it in a well vented area

O fuck pete thats the best part of using that stuff:cool:

Plastis weld it. but have you thought about how your gonna get to the fasteners and everything under it when you are done?

You'd be better off with a race seat unit than fucking around with that, easier and you can keep the orig tail for future dual seat use.