PDA

View Full Version : carb to efi

hyofighter
26-03-2012, 11:22 PM
so im thinking (only thinking) about efi for the vfr 750 i know the 800 had efi but thats a complex system and i know there are better easier systems out there i have used a microtech on a car before though i didnt install it it was a reasonly basic system crank angle ,throttle position, map sensor ,oxysensor , i have seen those megasquirt systems out there but i havent heard much about them

so this is what im thinking : i really want to rear mount a turbo my problem is its carby and its v4 so the arrangment is a head f$ck , i really dont want to do the blow through carb thing just to hard to tune right , i thought a basic efi setup a single throttle body and a plenum made , sensor setup i cant see as being to hard to do myself but i would like to stay away from cam angle sensor . so thoughts peoples please

other than that ill just make a fibreglass tank cover ditch the tank make a small fuel cell and in the v off the motor ill mount a supercharger and a big carb , at least thats easy to do

Redmohawk
27-03-2012, 04:57 AM
I like chargers (instant grunt) but I'm biased , Turbo makes more power in most cases. Ms is cheap but you get what you pay for talk to Deano.

latheboy
27-03-2012, 07:14 AM
i really dont want to do the blow through carb thing just to hard to tune right

Wrong;)

I did have the carb's on and off quite a few times and I have a dyno to use for free, buts it not hard.

I'd have a look at Haltech for a ECU, that's what i was looking at before i dropped the idea of EFI.
I dropped the idea cause of the cost, i could spend that cash on a bigger and better bike.

hyofighter
28-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Wrong;)

I did have the carb's on and off quite a few times and I have a dyno to use for free, buts it not hard.

I'd have a look at Haltech for a ECU, that's what i was looking at before i dropped the idea of EFI.
I dropped the idea cause of the cost, i could spend that cash on a bigger and better bike.

having a free dyno would make all the difference , but no such thing for me , surely there is a fuel only system out there i think i remember wolf 2d was something like that

supercharging with a ol school carb on top sounds easier to me anyways sure would get some attention with the cleaner hanging out the top

Yella
28-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Wrong;)

Carbs can be a little bit of a hassle but nothing I wouldn't tackle again and when sorted are great. A dyno would have been nice but good A/F gauge and a quiet area works a treat to get it correct

Yella
28-03-2012, 12:27 PM
and I don't know much about the EFI so no real help here :) .
But I was looking at running a MS system before I got into the carb set up and looked OK to me for a basic set up

Deano
28-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Alot will depend on what you want out the other end. if you want cheap and nasty buy a cheap and nasty ecu. pretty simple really. if you are thinking efi then get a vfr800 and use a piggy back system to control fuel.

a decent efi system will add $4k to the price of the build (brand name ecu suitable for the job, not all ecu's work the same.). then you got to get it tuned. add another $1000

it can be done cheaper but the result will show that it was cheaper. you get what you pay for.

hyofighter
28-03-2012, 06:19 PM
i totally understand , and yes you get what you pay for and how far in depth of tuning you want to go , ideal would be full house but im not keen on that at the moment, just putting my feelers out to see whats out there and what others have done be for i give something a go thats all

latheboy
28-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Booster was talking about fitting K7/8 ecu's to old shitbox gix's with good results, Maybe the VTR stuff could fit....

BANDITROD
28-03-2012, 09:15 PM
i thought vtr's were carbs

latheboy
29-03-2012, 08:17 AM
i thought vtr's were carbs

Shut up dickhead..... I was trying to offer an option, not a good one in this case.....

BANDITROD
29-03-2012, 08:28 AM
lol i won that one ivan hahaha

BANDITROD
29-03-2012, 08:29 AM
maybe early tl thrittle bodies could be an option scotty

xa-mont
29-03-2012, 09:56 AM
or SV1k TB's... OR.... aprilia Tuono 57mm throttle bodies... which i have... ? $100 and they're yours.

WOW... they looks so perdy!!
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c287/xacoupe/RSV%20TUONO%20PARTS/IMG_20120107_191825.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c287/xacoupe/RSV%20TUONO%20PARTS/IMG_20120107_191907.jpg

hyofighter
29-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Nice but its v4 , vtr sp1 are prop efi I could use some of the sensors maybe

xa-mont
29-03-2012, 01:33 PM
2TBs would be enough... dont be greedy! :P

mr.zxr
02-04-2012, 09:36 PM
don't use the microtech. Bikes have alot of cam overlap making the manifold pressure jump around, and the microtech can't keep up. i had a microtech sm4 and it worked but only just. it would either be good on boost, or good off boost but not good all round. when i finally got the autronic i gained about 40hp.