PDA

View Full Version : which headlight?

Haze
26-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Can i get your opinions guys?

Thinking about this headlight http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/370340449690?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_3028wt_921
I think it would look badass aspecially with that lip ground off.

If i dont get that then i will go with some twin dominators.

What do you reckon? any other cool headlights you would recommend?

oldskool
26-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Down lights don't make good head lights.

Yella
26-03-2012, 09:46 PM
I think I like it maybe not sure. Don't think it would put out much light

craig
26-03-2012, 09:52 PM
l think it looks odd but l don't know what the bike looks like. Might look ok on.

Redmohawk
27-03-2012, 05:01 AM
Be better with a pair of candles , about same light output/beam. Not much on the look eather, and the first cop that has half a clue will pinch you for yellow slip (no E mark)

latheboy
27-03-2012, 07:09 AM
I've been rockun one of these for a while
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HEADLIGHT-FAIRING-STREETFIGHTER-ENDURO-CROSS-UNIVERSAL-/251006253861?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a71237b25

It's great in the day light and thats about it, these downlights are shitfull

xa-mont
27-03-2012, 08:23 AM
yeah downlights don't produce enough light for driving at night. If your only riding in the day and don't care what the police think then go for it. i think it would look cool. otherwise steer clear.

Haze
27-03-2012, 10:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_2maRDEU00&list=UUfFFI0Wr3t8ispp4VUpKGww& index=44&feature=plcp

looks like decent enough light at the end of that video.
my bike is a 2000 zx9r.

Cruisecontrol
27-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Go to a light store and buy narrow beam (5deg) 60w globes for it.
Then go for a night ride behind all these blokes that reckon they dont put out enough light...

nick76
27-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Years ago,every enduro bike i had,had downlight headlight on it,and if you got caught out for whatever reason,and we ended up riding home in the dark,they'd barely light up your front mudguard!!! Bloody dangerous on the highways around here!!
People were saying Dominators were good,so put them on my last build,and riding in the dark was fkn dangerous aswell!!
But thats all rural riding,100kph roads,with no streetlights,roos etc
If you're not gonna venture out of the cities in the dark,any light would be fine,so people can see you coming,as there is plenty of streetlights around to light up your way.

Redmohawk
27-03-2012, 06:55 PM
If thats a 3m rolladoor the fence the light is shining on is at most 6m away fromt he bike, at 60 km/h your doing 16.6 m/sec. That light is going to be about fucked on anything dark at further than 10m max. You have say about 0.2 reaction time (pritty fast for average unprepeared responce time) then 0.1 sec to activate brakes/swerve, at 10 m light your down another 0.4 sec.

0.2 + 0.1 +0.4 = 0.7 sec so you have 0.3 seconds to go around and or brake at 60 km/h on an unlit road !

I'm a fucking nutter, but if you think that light will do anything (but help the meat wagon find your mangled ass when some retard does a U turn in the dark in front of you in a dark station wagon) your far sillyer than me.

At 100km/h your fucked before you hit the brake ! If your lucky you will shit yourself just before impact. I don't give to fucks about E marked lights once the bikes on the road but for fucks sake unless your riding day time only spend some cash on a light people will see and YOU CAN TO ! I've lost enough mates on dirt squirters on the road at night to tell you 100% a 25 watt down light (even two one pin spot n all) is far from enought light for anything but killing youself at night.

Rant over resume banter move along nothing to see.

Redmohawk
27-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Cruise just because they throw light everywhere and blind the silly fucker in front of you (when he looks in his mirrors) doesnt make them good. A well built light allows you to see whats in front of you and the poor fucker coming the other way see without squinting (running onto your side of the road and killing you dead, like it did a good mate of mine about 6 years back)

Cruisecontrol
27-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Have you used 5deg 60w 12v globes?
If not, your opinion is completely irrelevant.

I rode to work every morning, in the dark, no street lights with a tinted visor.
I never had a problem.

Redmohawk
27-03-2012, 07:42 PM
My mate had a 60 w and a 25 in his bike when the car spread him from one end of the highway to the other . Good luck your going to need it.

Cruisecontrol
27-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Speaking of spread, how narrow was the beam?
The standard 30deg is a waste of time.

Redmohawk
27-03-2012, 08:22 PM
No idea really was a pin spot (Standard pin spots are 5 and 10 deg) I got it for him , told him there crap. Was warned rode anyhow , even asked him if he wanted to throw it on the ute n take him home that night. Turned it down (only a 10 km ride he said) 200m from home car swapped into his lane coming the other way, as he was just hitting his braking marker (bump in road we both used to know hit bump start to brake and you will stop just at his driveway)

Driver was a 38 year old (met him thought about exacting revenge more than once) turns out just an average bloke not a dumb dumb , was partally blinded by headlight wandered accross road in lane and took out my mate. Head on both doing about 100kph, Death was instant.

Trust me down lights are crap for lighting in houses let alone motorbikes , Spend some money your life is worth more than a $20 headlight. Great lights can be had for less than $100 I spend that on grog and shit fortnight for fuck sake. At worst if your hard up for cash do over a second hand light from the wreackers. Even a old round light off a early agg bike with a later 4" globe outa something like a gsxr400 will throw out a good beam be leagal and painted/modded looks okish.